Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your thoughts on D'Addario Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a med tension flatwound string, and was wondering what these strings are all about. :eyebrow:

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Great. Smooth mids. Not to bitey.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    What he said. I really like mine. They play like buttah, and sound good even on a fretted Ibanez. :)

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    could you go into detail about the sound of these strings alittle more for me....Are they very thumpy. DO they have that hint of old school flat sound?

5. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I love them. when they're new, they're really bright (for flats). close to rounds. but they'll mellow. they have a great THUMP. super playability. really versitile sound. I use them on my bass in my punk rock band. with a pick and a little upper mid/high boost, they have a good bite but not too much, and a great mid growl. i use them for jazz too. i've actually gotten asked how i got my BG to sound like a DB. finger style they're great. awesome flat sound, great thump and really deep. heavy palm mute with a pick and you can get a sound that is like a pitched bass drum, its pretty sweet. "DOOM" thats kinda what you get, sound wise. but like i said you can also get a great growly mid out of them, and harmonics are crystal clear. make sure you clean them before you install them. they have a metallic powder on them from the polishing process. i use the regulars, so they're kinda heavy but like i said, great sound.

travis

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Travis is pretty spot on with everything he posted. The part that I've quoted above I want to comment on, though. Thes strings, when new, are absolutely filthy with metallic dust. As you take them out of the package, use a washcloth or something and wipe them down because they'll make a huge mess if you're not careful.

I really, really love the feel and sound of these strings, though. Just wish they had a tapered B string, so I'm moving on here in a few weeks to try out different strings.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I've been using them for over 13 years, and they are still my favorite strings.

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i just put a set on about 4 hours ago for practice. So far i dig em. Then again i cant wait to play them on my own amp. the one at the studio blows! Ill let ya know on tuesday.

9. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

is it too late once i put the strings on? i just read this thread.

10. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    no, i just use an old t-shirt as a rag, you'll see the black dust on the rag, you may have noticed it on your fingers

travis

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    See, it goes to show you, we all have different things that float our boat, I hate tapered Bs.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but I've never had this problem. Of course I haven't needed to change stings in awhile, so something might have changed, I’ll check for this next set I get.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What is the tension on the chrome closest to.....

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sorry...the flat Chrome Soft Longs. ALso how does the soft longs compare to the regulars in tension

16. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Click on the links.

18. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Nah, just wipe em down with a cloth or something. Most of the filth came off of mine as I was putting them on. It won't hurt anything, just looks bad and leaves fingerprints everywhere. :)