Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your thoughts on ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Typically the btb series and the high end sr series?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Not to come off as rude, but you really need to do a search. These basses have been discussed to death.

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    BTB's are passive, but a bit lighter than the SR and the SRX series.

I played alot of these basses looking for a good one to buy (I eventually did) and I ended up going with an SR 1006 EFM (Best and most expensive one you can buy I think)

The basses are great quality, and sound great, and if you're looking for good quality bass w/o alot of cash, go with the SR EFM series, individual saddles, and barts make a great combination.

Greg

4. I can speak for the high end SRs, but my first bass was an Ibanez SR 400 over 10 years ago. I loved it dearly and it actually remained my primary bass right up until about a year ago even as i bought others along the way. I think Ibanez's are amazing basses and amazing value. I honestly think they get underrated based only on the fact that they're foreign made and (ironically) that they're such lower cost then comparable basses.

5. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i'd personally go with G&L, ESP, or musicman, but ibanezes are still really good instruments. i like how the design and playability of the BTBs. i really want a 6-string BTB

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Theres only 1 passive moddel of the BTB series, the rest use the MK1 preamp of bartolini.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    And ill bite agin in an ibanez thread, IMO if you get better electronics and upgrade the nowadays ibanez' you can get really nice tones.

The DW signature is a good example of an ibanez with good electronics.

8. My 406 is active ( 18v )and weighs more than any of the SR's ive tried . . .

For a 6 string its pretty good, its not too thin a neck and not too thick, if i want a pencil thin neck thats what my eda is for :smug:

9. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ive been wary of 'em...I love the electronics in them, but sometimes they just feel "cheap". But just like a Squier Strat; play em all, youl find a good one.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not all true. The BTB300 series is passive.

I think Ibanez instruments are pretty decent. I own an original SR505 and it has served me well. SR's, espescially the 5 strings, have tight string spacing. If you want standard/wide string spacing in a 5'r, check out the BTB line. There are some high end BTB's that are killer. Benny Retvield (Santana) endorsed them for a while. I think he's moved on since.

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I have a SR-506 I bought new a couple of months ago that plays and sounds great. My main bass before buying this was a '79 MusicMan Stingray that I've played for 25 years now. I think the SR-506 was more than worth the money I paid for it. ;)

Good luck and Have Fun!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB 4 series does not use the MK-1 preamp. They have the Vari-Mid IIIB preamp, which is either a Mighty Mite or proprietary preamp.

If the BTB 406 had the MK-1 preamp, I would have been sorely tempted to buy one instead of my Cirrus. The main reason that the Cirrus got my vote is because the BTB 406 sounded very hollow and thin compared to a Cirrus, and IME, when it comes to inexpensive active basses, the preamp is almost always to blame.

Of course, two years later, I am much happier that I picked the Cirrus. If I had bought the BTB, I would probably have GAS for a new six by now. Hasn't been a problem with the Cirrus.:D

13. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I like my BTB (BTB400), switched from Warwick Corvette and i don't regret about it.

14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I had the SR400, SR640 and one of my friends still has his SR800.

The SR400 wasn't bad when I was on a tight budget, but I liked the SR640 & SR800 much better. If I was going to buy an Ibanez Soundgear today, it would probably be the SR900 or SR1000. I haven't had a chance to try them but they look like the best Soundgears yet. I was always a fan of the thin neck, but the SR series neck may have been a little too thin for me.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started on an SR400, still with me, currently has vintage Dimarzio's in it and strung with Elixirs. Great bass, has really held up to plenty of abuse. Then there was my SR645, good bass, okay electronics. Very solid with about a year of gigging, needed one setup and was always in tune. I had a pair of SR800's, one stock and one with EMG's. I liked the EMG loaded one better tonally, but the feel on the stock one was better, so it was my number one. These were my metalhead Soundgear days. I phased them all out for my Stingray, which later heeded to a '78 Precision, which is now waiting to be traded for a '95 P plus cash to buy a six string Soundgear.

Full circle my man, but worth every penny.

16. Ive never felt that way about ibanez basses myself, thier construction is nearly always sound i've found, we'll, always sound, ive found :smug:

Just need to get them setup, cus out of the factory thier setup is usually pretty dire

17. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I love my BTB- I have the 510e... a discontinued model that came with the Bart pickups. The 35" scale takes a bit to get used to but I love the string tension. The neck is thick and beefy- feels a little bit bigger then a J neck. The EQ shaping features lets me get what ever sound I want out of it.

I am able to get the action extremely low on it and I get compliments on it looks and sounds when ever I play with other people in the room.

I'd recommend finding one used off the bay or buying the 1000e model (which is pretty much just like the 510e but with a maple front and a bigger price tag). No matter what BTB you get you want to get one with the Bart pickups or upgrade ASAP the stock Ibanez ones are not as nice as Barts.

18. I dont know if barts are always the way, ive got my BTB setup sounding really aggressive, and i think barts would smooth it out too much

but yeah, look for them second hand, i got mine for only £260 over here a few years back (inclueing postage), now thats pretty good seeing it was in mint condition and only about £60 more than the cheapest of the cheap starter basses

19. Ive got the starter GSR190 bass. Ive put a Badass bridge and some Dirmarzio Ultra jazz pups in it(I roughted out the p pickup space) And now it sounds way better. It already played good with the ultra thin maple neck. It been my main bass and the only thing that I can complain about is that Im starting to see grooves in the frets from the first to about the 6th. So in a couple more years it may half to be defretted or refretted, but most likely it will become a fretless. Id definitly buy another soundgear bass, I dont really like the the BTB's, They remind be alot of the Schecter custom and elite basses, Whic hsound way too mettalic. Id buy a SDGR again, Probably one with soapbars, Or the Roadstar, Musician, Or ATK basses, Which seem to be amoung Tbers non hate list.

20. ooooh ATK, why oh why did ibanez stop making them :'(