your thoughts on multiple guitarists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassoptimus, May 25, 2004.

1. alright so ive got my regular band consisting of 2 guitars, bass and drums, but i also joined this other band who plays jam stuff, mostly santana, allman brothers, greatful dead, phish etc... (and were planning to write simple stuff too) it consists of (HUGE!) 2 drummers (one plays percussion too), 3 guitarists (one plays acoustic 50% of the time) keyboard player, than the bass player (me) what are your thoughts on having more than one guitar player in a band, regardless of what kinda music u play (or not, whatever) i just wanna know what u guys think
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That would be sweet!!! YOU CAN PLAY WHAT EVER YOU WANT NOW!!!!!!!!
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there is no set "rule" if it works it works.

i was in band for 2 years and there was just 3 of us (bass, guitar, drums)... it worked fine and we were all happy

now i'm in a band that has 2 guitarists. and we think it works well...

it's all up to the band, how they think it will sound
  4. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my band has two guitarists(sometimes 3, but I veto the third guitar as much as I can). They both know their range though and stay out of the bass so it doesn't get muddied up since I have some semi-busy basslines(Rush, Journey, Skynyrd, and Live are some influences). There are twin guitar solos at some points, so then I dig in and have the Ampeg growling to fill up the sound, or I'll use my chorus, or both.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As far as I'm concerned, it's GREAT! Sounds like you're getting into the type of scene that my band is in. Our two guitarists have been playing together for over 10 years and continuosly impress me with the melodic harmony parts and hooks they come up with. As long as you keep it fresh, catchy, and interesting to the audience (i.e., don't go on FOREVER :D ), the jam is the only place to be! :bassist:
  6. If it works, it's pretty cool. Our band had 2 guitarists at first but it just didn't work. Maybe it was inexperience, but they couldn't sound good together.
  7. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I think multiple guitarists sound great, as long as they can work with each other and complement each other well, i.e. bands like Judas Priest.
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've played in bands with 3, 2, and now 1. I will now always try to be in a band with only one guitarist. A trio is beautiful thing. But..I do understand why having many can be fun too...
  9. From my personal experience:

2 guitarist: they rarely harmonize together, one will always just play the power chords, and the one who play the power chords get bored very fast.

1 guitarist: boy I miss those power chords sometimes... :confused:
  10. Green Grass And High Tides anyone?

Two, sometimes three guitarists... if they're able to operate in their own space and not clutter everything up in the process... boy, that's hard to pull off.

Any samples to post?
  11. alright sweet, yeah were gonna play jessica by the allman brothers and its gonna be sweet, these 3 guitarists are pretty damn good so it will be tight, i mean this band is just basically about having fun and playing together and just jamming its really laid back so hopefully it will be a great time
  12. AND freebird hahaha that will be sweet too
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like bands to be as streamlined as possible, (while still sounding good, of course) just for the simple fact, we'll all be walking out of a club with more money in our pockets. 2 guitarists should be able to handle most material.

Often times, I've seen bands with many players of various instruments, just because the members weren't all that great as individual players. Of course, that isn't always the case, but sometimes it is.
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    seems as though Skynrd was already mentioned - hehe.

If it works it works - trainwrecks are bad.

Check out a band called Umphrey's McGee if you want to hear 2 awesome guitarists together...
  15. some band needs more than 1, 2, or 5 guitarists. the bass overpowers them all!!!!!!!

im in a band with 1 drummer, one guitarist, and a bass.

but whatever floats ur tuna boat! :D
  16. umphreys mcgee rules, they do an awesome version of YYZ, i really like their dual guitar work
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Before I die, I just want the opportunity to play once more in a band that has one, and only one guitar. Doesn't have to be a trio -- keys, horns, etc. are fine. Just ONE guitar, please. I have been asking this for years now, and I realize I have many years ahead of me, but it's tough being patient, ya know...

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    After 4 years my band just broke up.
    One guitar, keys, drums, bass, sax and trombone.
    That was a sweet line up. With a setup like that there really isn'y any type of music you can do.

No matter how many members you have in the band it will work as long as everybody leaves room for everybody else.
  19. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    exactly---and it helps if they all check their ego at the door! :)