Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your thoughts on my Rig issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Nov 12, 2004.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hi everyone. I'm new to TalkBass. I usually hang out at another forum, but thought I'd give this one a try for a while, too.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for some input here on my ever changing rig. I play a fretless 6, fretted 5, and upright with a K&K Bass Max pickup. I have a QSC PLX 1202 power amp and a Bergantino HT112 cab. I like things light and small.

I am currently using a PodXT. I like it for the electrics ok, although I tend to use only a couple settings and not many effects - if any. I bought it because I thought an Avalon U5, Presonus BlueMax Compressor, Boss Tuner and SansAmp BDDI were too much hassle to carry around. I wanted a small, simple rig.

Well, The upright just doesn't sound like it did with the Avalon. The electrics are OK, but...did I screw up going to this rig? I don't gig alot and it's mostly small clubs playing in jazz quartets or a local big band or musicals.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    geez, if i were you i woulda stuck with the u5 and your power amp.

3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I agree with IvanMike or how about the SansAmp BDDI straight into the power amp ?? Put the power amp in a light 2 space rack.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The Avalon and the POD are two different beasts designed for two different things. If you're amplifying an upright you really ought to be using a 'real' DI/preamp (like the Avalon).

If it were me redoing your rig and I had a little money to throw around (which seems to be your case), I'd dump the QSC in favor of a Stewart World 1.2. Then you could fit it into a two space rack like Isimy suggested and it would allow another whole rack space for a pre/DI and compression. Plus it doesn't have an onboard fan.

Since the Avalon U5 isn't going to fit into a 2U with an amp, I'd suggest a FMR RNP to use as your DI, or maybe a Great River 1NV if you're feeling saucy. There are other decent options if you need a more tubey sound. Others could suggest better than me on this one but I really liked the SWR Interstellar Overdrive as a tube bass preamp/DI.

There are a ton of options for compression, most of which will fit in the remaining space in your rack, if you have one. My personal favorite is a pedal: the discontinued Trace SMX dual band compressor.

For tuning, just get a good volume/AB pedal and a pedal based tuner.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had similar thoughts.

I had a Stewart 1.2 but it seemed to get really hot and had to be treated like a 2 space amp by the time you left a space for some air to circulate. That's why I went with the QSC PLX 1202.

I am trying to not have a big heavy rack of gear - hence the PodXT. I have the amp in a 2 space rack. I was happy with the PreSonus Blue Max compressor - small and easy - as was the Boss TU-2 Tuner/Mute pedal. Easy "brief case" fit. The Avalon is relatively large and heavy. Doesn't fit the briefcase. I'd rather not have another rack case to carry.

I guess what I want and what I can have won't quite match up.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally i like your old rig better. Food for thought. The preamp section of the avalon is probably a $200 unit. The preamp in the pod might be $5. You get what you pay for. Quite frankly, the avaolon is big compared to a pod, but its not that big. Just because it wont fit in your breifcase doesn't mean it wont fit in any breifcase. FWIW, tuki could probably make you a padded case for uit, and i think i have seen some u5's offered with cases.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Run away now!!! Or else...

Alex

P.S. Don't say I didn't warn you...

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Be nice Alex.

I can't get the upright to sound as nice through the Pod as it did through the Avalon so...

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Steve, have you ever considered trying your upright and electrics through a hybrid amp head with an onboard compressor? Eden and Trace Elliot are two that come to mind immediately which only take 2U of space.

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have tried, but I guess I was spoiled by the Avalon U5. I found a buyer for my PodXT and am seeking out an Avalon as we speak.

I like the separate power amp.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Get a good mic pre with an instrument level in. The U5 is great but it's a hassle to move with ... not real flexible either ... I'm using the ART Tube Channel but that one is discontinued. If you find one used it's a $150 to $200 buy and is worth a lot more.

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have also thought about getting a PreSonus Tube pre to use with the PreSonus Blue Max compressor. I love the compressor, maybe the preamp is good, too.

The problem is, I know for my upright bass that the Avalon preset 3 sounds great. The Art and others don't have tone shaping that I know I need to make that upright sound good. If I need to bring an EQ of some kind, I could just as well get the Avalon that has that built in.

If it was just for my electric basses, it would be easy as I have 3 band active EQ on both. The upright is what causes the problem and that is what is currently getting me gigs.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It's too bad you can't just go out and buy a power amp that is the same form factor as the U5 (2U/half width). That'd solve your problem pretty easily.

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about one of these for your upright?

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=43

(And maybe a BDDI for the electrics?)

Alex

P.S. Hey, we love you really! You're not the only LDLer I've spotted skulking off to ask amp GAS related questions having recently stated that they were done! ;) Yes, me included...

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had one of those, too. I didn' treally like it. The problem is that everything pales in comparisson to the Avalon.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

That would really be sweet!