Your thoughts on Roland bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Feb 20, 2002.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have recently found a few good deals on Roland DB700 and 900 series amplifiers. My questions to you are:

1. Is there a place in Jacksonville, Tampa, or Orlando, Florida that has these amps so I can try them?
    2. Have any of you tried them? How do they sound?

Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. I can't speek about the Roland bass amps specifically, but I imagine they sound quite good. Earlier today I tried playing through a Roland keyboard amp, because I was curious how it sounded for bass. I put everything flat on the amp and on the bass, and I was very impressed by the very warm tone that I got. I hope someone else can give you a discription of an actual Roland bass amp.
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I had the opportunity last week to check out a DB-900. I really like the concept of this amp, with its 4x10" and 2x12" passive radiator speaker combination all in one cabinet.
    Each 12" passive radiator is mounted in the side of the cabinet, so they tend to project sideways from the cab. But they do add alot to the bottom end.
    This is by no means a "small amp". It weighs in at 141 lbs but comes equipped with heavy duty casters, as does the DB-700 but it only weighs 75 lbs.
    I found the best sound came with the amp COSM set to the "Tube" setting. Roland attaches a plackard that shows a number of settings to acheive different types of bass sounds for various types of music and instruments. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it when you don't have a lot of time to play around.
    The D-chorus and compressor are both excellent features that really extend the amps capabilities.
    I like that you can save settings in the memory of the amp and toggle between them via a foot switch. This way you don't have to screw around with the amps controls in between songs trying to get that certain setting you need for the next tune. Just step on the footswitch and you're there.
    My only concern with the DB-900 is would it be loud enough for me. 320 watts is not 500 or 900 watts. The only way to tell for sure if it's enough, is to take the amp out to gig with. Also, can it reproduce a low B string with out distorting when played at higher volumes?
    The one feature that Roland has elected not to put on any of the DB-Series amps is a extension speaker output.
    They have no intention of making extension cabinets for this series so they've taken away the possibilty of ever adding one.
    I've been looking at the other combo amps in the market for the past month, and it appears that the DB-900 is one of the best buys out there.
    I am not a Roland fan. However I did buy one of their Jazz Chorus guitar amps many years ago and had great success with it. If the DB-700 and 900 are anything like the Jazz Chorus amps were, then Roland will have another winner on their hands.