1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Thoughts on String Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have a Fender Jazz bass 4 string that I would like to try stringing/tuning: Bb/Eb/Ab/Db. Obviously I dont want a floppy Bb, but also I am concerned about string tension on a Jazz, bolt on, 34" scale neck.

These two sets have been suggested:

.136 .100 .076 .058 Balanced Standard

or:

.142 .106 .080 .061 Balanced Standard

I realize that I will have to file the nut, adjust relief and saddles.
    What are your suggestions, comments, recommendations? Thanks

2. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Question; Will your amplifier reproduce an open string Bb? assuming you get the string to vibrate cleanly on a 34" scale. Many 5/6 string bases are being made 35" scale to better render that low, 31 Hz B-note.

To your original point, I don't think the tension of a .136" or .142'" string tuned to pitch is much different than the strings on the bass now. Have you de-tuned your current strings, set up the neck & played, yet? It would be a good, inexpensive, reversible, quick test.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Currently my bass is tuned Eb/Ab/Db/Gb and sounds good. Basically all strings down 1/2 step. I would like to do the same with a BEAD setup all down a 1/2 step. My amp/cab setup is in my signature. I believe it will do OK on the Bb.

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    To derail a moment; most bass rigs won't even do the fundamental of standard E. If his cab is competent to 60 Hz (and based on the gear specified in his sig, it is) he's gonna be fine.

to the OP; do you like how your Eb feels? And what gauge is it? I can suggest a good Bb string if I know that.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    My E tuned down to Eb is a .105

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Go with the .142 balanced set