1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Thoughts On The Ampeg Classic SVT-610HLF Cabinet 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, May 3, 2006.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I've been looking at an ampeg 6X10 cabinet, and was just wondering what experiences any of you have had with them. I presently own an ampeg svt 4-pro head, with one swr goliath III 4x10 and a son of bertha 1x15. I've never been totally happy with the articulation of my present configuration. It doesn't sound bad by any means, just lacks some low mid punch, and some definition. I've tried eq, but just couldn't produce the sound I've been looking for, at least with the svt head. So, a friend of mine loaned me his classic svt-610hlf cabinet, and I have to say, I was very impressed. The presence, punch, and definition were all there, with the same eq settings, a/b'ing both rigs. Side by side, the swr rig has a little more bottom end, but sounds a bit muddy in comparison to the 6x10 ampeg. The difference in definition when slapping is quite noticeable, with the 6x10 reproducing a nice fat, yet articulate, string sound. I'm attributing this to the fact that the swr cabs seem to attenuate some of the low mid frequencies, in favor of a more hi-fi presentation.

Am I completely crazy? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've played a few 410HLF's at various guitar centers, and I always liked the tone. Heavy, punchy, warm, but not muddy. I found the 610 to be exactly the same, only with the ability to get much louder because of the extra drivers.

Bottom Line: If you like it, you like it! Trust your ears.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i love my 610. it sounds so good, for whatever im playing.

4. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    i've got the 410hlf and love it. very smooth. never played the 610 though, but i'm sure they are very similiar.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I just bought a Classic 410 HLF the other day to supplement my Phil Jones 8T. Great cabs! They had a 610 there also, but I didn't need something that big since I already have the Phil Jones (equivalent to a 2x10).

6. Funny this thread popped up.
    Yesterday I traded in my 410HLF + cash for a 610HLF. Wanna know why?
    Here's the deal.....I had one before. I sold it in favor of a BXT210 & BXT115.....for portability purposes...not sound. I wound up not crazy about my sound & wound up buying a 410HLF hoping to get my sound back but have the portability thing. Well the sound was back BUT what annoyed me was the transport. See the SVT410HLF (like the 610 & 810) are set up like a dolly...tilt back & pull(or push..your preference). Thing is the 410 is a bit short & you really have to stoop down to roll it along. Now the 610 is the right height & weighs only 5lbs more than the 410.
    As far as sound, they both are almost identical BUT the 610 has the edge because, obviously it's a bit taller & a little easier to hear.
    Either cab works & has monster sound.

7. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I also have the 610HLF cab and I'm very happy with it. It gets loud! :bassist:
    It's like an allround stand alone cab. It has a horn and extended low end ports. This makes it quite a versatile cab for different kinds of rock orientated music... It does the rock/slap sound very well and it cuts through in a band situation very good...
    ...and I agree about the 410HLF, They should make it with four removable casters instead of the tilt back thing... It should be a very great cab though, especially for 5 string, it goes llllooooooooowww...:bassist:

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I currently own one, and have no real problems with it. I am upgrading to Aguilar soon, but I wouldn't say anything bad about the cab. It gets loud, it hits hard, and it's not muddy at all for as much low end as it pushes out. I'm only switching up because I like 12s better. Good luck!:bassist:

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have a 410HLF and a 610HLF. The 410HLF sounded so good and is the reason I bought the 610HLF. I currently use it with my Ric 4003 into my SVT-3 PRO and it just sounds (and looks) killer. I also have an SVT-II non-pro and a Mesa Bass 400 + that I will try out with it when I get the time. It has that deep, rich, punchy tone that sounds like nothing I've ever heard. I wanted to keep both cabs until I completely sold on the 610HLF, and I am now, so I'll be selling the 410HLF. Also FWIW, I talked to the GC guys and compared the 610HLF to the 8X10E. Everybody was in agreement that the 610HLF sounded better (quite a bit better). The GC guys had just returned from a tour of the Ampeg facility where they had there own demonstration / bake off of cabinets, and the GC crew also felt the 610HLF was the best sounding cabinet Ampeg makes.

I absolutely love mine, and for all the people that don't like a cloth grill and piping, I think the Ampeg SVT610HLF is the coolest, classiest looking cabinet on the planet, even if it isn't the most practical for lugging around.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh and one interesting thing about the 610HLF. If you stand (or sit) just to either side of the cabinet, instead of directly in front of it, the low end and general tone is much better for some reason I can't explain. It sounds twice as good if you just don't listen to it directly facing it.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just go for a Berg NV610. End of story...

12. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I was thinking that or an Eden 410 or 610 XLT. If you're wanting Low-Mid punch, you'll get a lot of it.

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 610hlf is a really nice cabinet and I usually use one at Guitar Center when the floor model 810e is not hooked up. The SVT 410hlf, 810e, 610hlf, and 210hlf all employ the same 30oz speaker, they are just different enclosures.

The 610hlf sounds good on the sides because the bottom two 10's are in a ported enclosure. Ported enclosures push low end in many different directions.

The 610hlf will get you the low-mid bump you desire. Ampeg cabs in general will put out the low-mid bump and this is where most people will say that Ampeg sounds muddy. The low-mid bump (around 200-400hz) is the "muddy zone" according to most album producers. Most people fail to realize the usefulness of this area of sound: finger playing and cutting through guitarists. Some focus of tone in the low-mid area will allow a bassist to be heard amongst other instruments.

14. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I'd love the berg, I'm sure! And it's not that much more than the ampeg. I'd love to know what it sounds like.

So far, I'm pretty blown away with the ampeg 6x10. And I agree with Skel, the look is sexy as hell! How can you not like that classic ampeg style. :bassist:

15. I have a 410HLF now, but I used to play through a 610HLF. They do have a similar sound. The 410HLF has more extreme lows, which you may or may not notice depending on how you dial your amp in. The 610HLF is a little tighter sounding, and is a good deal more efficient.

They're great sounding cabs, IMO. My only complaint with the 410HLF is that it's real finicky with amps. Some real great heads just sound like total garbage through this cab due to the low end on the amp not meshing well with the way it's ported. The 610HLF is a lot more forgiving when you put different heads on top of it. Not knocking the 410HLF...but that's the reason why people have such a love/hate relationship with it. It'll either make or break your rig.

I think I like the sound of the 610HLF a tad better, just because it's a little tighter. But my guitar players use 2x12 combo amps, and we really try to minimalize the bulk of what we take around. The 410HLF is a big porker of a 4x10, but it's still easier to lug around than a 6x10, which is why I switched. The 410HLF is probably the only 4x10 i'd play, just because it sounds like a much bigger cab. If size wasn't an issue...i'd say 610HLF. But either cab is a fine choice for the right application.

-Nick

16. Only problem (at least in my area) is that nobody has either of these to try & after my last experience buying cabs unheard(see above post), I'm not getting another cab unless I can test it with my head.

17. I too play through a 610HLF, and although I haven't owned any other cabs of significance to compare it too, I love it. It's tight, punchy and cuts through due to the aforementioned low-mid sound! I wouldn't say you should use it if youre looking for super low tight sounds, but since i use it as a rock cab it does a great job!

18. The whole cab is ported, not just the bottom 2 drivers.

PawleeP likes this.
  19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Have played the Ampeg 610 and 810 live with a few heads, depending on the backline. I got a Bergantino 610 and will never use backline again.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    And porting has nothing to do with the distribution of lows through the room!