Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your thoughts on the EMG-JV set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bikehorn, Feb 25, 2003.

1. JV = Jazz Vintage. according to EMG, they're meant to sound like the original Jazz bass pickup, and even look like it. i played a set once, on a Custom Shop Jazz Bass, but my memory of it is foggy. is it worth the cost?

2. I'm also interested in these pups.
    If someone has tried'em. What do you think about it?

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I had those on my MIM jazz. It took me about a couple weeks to decide to get rid of them. I think a jazz bass will never sound like a jazz with active pickups.

I found they where too punchy, too clear, didn't have a good low-mid growl, lacked dynamics (it seemed they where on/off - just one loud tone or complete silence).

After them I spend about 2 years with Bartolini 9s (deep growl and nice slap tone, yet a bit warm for a heavy funk).

Now I have a pair of Dimarzio DP149 and think they are a nice blend between Bartolinis and EMGs. Not as deep and beautiful as barts :( , but very funky without being harsh :). I think they'll cut through better in a band situation.

All IMO, of course...