1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your thoughts on the Geddy Lee Sig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noisemaker, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker

Mar 14, 2015
    (NOT the new U.S version with the chunky neck)

So I'm in the market for a bass upgrade after 5 years with an old Squier Affinity P-bass.

This one caught my eye after coming across numerous reviews praising its "fast neck" and nice, growly tone. The 3-tone sunburst model is really aesthetically pleasing as well.

In any case, how does it fare as a cheaper alternative to upgrading to an American Standard? Are the reviews mostly hype? What are you thoughts/experiences with the bass?

I'm planning a trip to check it out at my local dealer, so I'll definitely play before I buy if possible.

Also, are there significant differences between the MIJ and the MIM as far as this model goes? Or is it just down to the individual piece?

Thanks guys.

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    The MIJ were supposed to have a thinner neck(not sure on this). But the MIM I tried had a very thin neck I thought. I've seen treads where people have talked about changing the pickups. So not really sure if the pickups are that great. But if your considering a GL you will be very happy with it for sure after all that time playing an Affinity. I did a comparison between the GL and the American Standard. The standard won out for me and is what I use today. But the GL is a very good quality bass.

3. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    I own three Geddy Lee signature models. A First addition 98 MIJ, a 2004 CIJ and a 2012 MIM. The two Japanese models are very nice quality and put together very well.
    I ordered the MIM from Sweetwater Because they still had it listed as MIJ And it was right after they released the MIM models so I thought I was getting NOS Japanese made.

Anywhoo I opened it up and it was terrible. I had Never ordered a bass online and now I knew why.

For starters the bridge is off centerline of the neck so the strings don't line up over the pole pieces and the bridge was mounted about a quarter inch further forward.
    The neck binding is thicker than the MIJ neck.
    The clear in te neck is thicker.
    And let's not forget that terrible routing on the MIM models. So if you want to take your pick guard off you can't. And there is no screw above the neck pick up like a vintage 72.
    And the Japanese pick ups have raised and beveled pickup poles, the MIM do not.
    I'm not sure but I believe the MIM pick ups are the same as what the Jazz standards come with. The MIJ pick ups sound much better IMHO.

I called Sweetwater to return it and they gave me like $150 refund so it made sense to keep it. It was to be a mod bass anyway.

Both MIJ and MIM neck profiles are the same at the first fret, .85 on mine.
    I ended up Putting an Allparts neck on it with perloid blocks that has a much thicker neck profile so it's a little different.

Lots of good deals on used MIJ models that's what I would buy and play it before you do.

And yes I'm a Geddy fan boy I I can't wait to get the new USA model

image.
    2004 CIJ
    image.
    98 MIJ

image.
    MIM

4. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    AnalogKid4003 you must have gotten a MIM that never saw any QC. I have only seen 1 GL in the wild and that was at a Sam Ash. I thought it played pretty well and the binding on the neck seemed ok as well. I never plugged it in so I can't say how it sounded. Sorry you had a bad experience. Hopefully that USA GL will make up for it. When I bought my American Standard I wanted to try a US GL but as you know nobody has one yet. If you get one let us know how it is.

5. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    How about the Custom Shop model? It's only $7,500!

image.

6. AnalogKid4003

AnalogKid4003

Jul 8, 2012
    I think they all go through quality control but Japanese bases just feel better And are built better.
    Better wood and better quality luthers in Japan hands down.

I own nine japanese fenders and four American fender basses , Including SQ and E series squires, and one e series Korean.
    The Japanese quality is equal if not better than any U.S. production model.

And the $7500 Geddy is a pretty hard sell, how many do you think they really made or sold?
    I think it was fenders marketing plot make everyone gas for the custom shop model then they come out with a much more affordable USA model within reach of most of us. Hmmmmmm

I wonder if they'll offer a relic model ;)drool

7. ldryder

ldryder

Sep 8, 2014
    Last fall, I bought a brand new 2011 MIJ and never really liked the tone. I tried several different sets of strings, tried a set of DiMarzio DP123 pickups, and finally tried a set of EMG JVX pickups.

Ultimately, I just ended up selling it.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    It was $6,100 and they made 50 of them. No, I don't own one and yes the USA suddenly seemed much more appealing!

I do own a CIJ Geddy and ended up replacing or modding pretty much everything but the bridge and the color. I think it's a great platform for modding. However, as comfy as the neck is it also requires a lot of adjustment throughout the year due to temperature and climate changes. I ordered a USA and am looking forward to the thicker neck!

9. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've read this before, but I've taken mine all over the world and had a setup after like ten years. It was still straight as an arrow. It needed its first truss adjustment in years last month because it came off for a few days while I was testing out another Geddy neck I bought on eBay.

I guess it depends on the instrument.

10. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I would say so! Consider yourself lucky, it's been a pain for me.

I wonder... does the USA version use graphite rods like the other American Standard basses? Guessing not since Fender's site doesn't mention it.

11. Well I honestly hope that this thread does not turn into a MIJ vs MIM comparison... there are lots of threads on that topic. Myself I have a MIM Geddy Jazz and it is one of the best Jazz Basses I ever played..period. IMHO quality is top notch...just for experimentation I replaced the stock pickups with USA (beveled poles) pickups and I could not hear any difference at all.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    were we separated at birth?

don't get me wrong, I experienced almost the very same, and most of all ended up all the same

problem is that present MIM version usually sport ceramic singles, which are hotter than MIJ "vintagey" ones, yet way less dynamic and yes, routin' quality is horrible nowadays. anyway MIJ pickup output was really poor so many of us tried their best to swap pickup for somethin' better, even if in the same verge.

Yes, I finally sold it for somethin' dramatically different.

USA std stays IMHO better than both present MIM and former MIJ Geddy's

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I love my sunburst CIJ Geddy. I put Dimarzio Model J's in it a few years ago and it sounds great.
    I've been meaning to put some stock pickups back in to try again, but haven't got around to it yet.