Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your thoughts on.....the matrix

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    what might be your philosophical thoughts on the Matrix...it's on TNT right now, so I figured I'd ask you guys and post my responses as they come up.

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Some kid killed himself (and his parents) over it, what other movie can say that? Except of course, "Gigli" :smug:

But, it's really trippy to think everything was made for you. When you put a peice of meat in your mouth, it runs a program.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Isn't one of the Wichowski brothers now a Wichowski sister?

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    if it wasn't for Gigli, we would all be a little more alive!
    thank god I didn't see that. :hyper:

5. My thoughts on the matrix?

1. The first film was ok, each one after got progressively worse.

2. The trilogy proved that Keanu Reeves can't act.

3. The film should have actually had a clearly understandable ending, rather than one that can be interpreted a few different ways.

:smug:

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    how exactly did it end? I remeber the losing the eyes and the fighting and the religious symbolism and the guy in the white room but it's all pretty hazy...

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    1) well, just the first one (matrix, cause that's whats on TV).
    2) Bill and Ted's excellent adventure prove otherwise! :mad: j/k

8. You can only guess what a shock this thread was to me, since i'm watching the same thing right now.. basically IMO the first Matrix movie is the only one worth viewing more than once.

As for "the matrix"... who knows.. it might be real and the movie was just a ploy to make us suspect that it's not true. Then again, we can say that about a lot of things.

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    The Qintar?

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    read the book

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The reason the first one kicked ass and the second/third ones sucked was because the first one was ripped off, and the second two were not written by the person who wrote the first. It could have been a much, much better trilolgy, but, I think if it'd been left as an individual, it'd make you think a lot (the story wouldn't have ended well, but, that happens).

-Ray

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like Matrix Reloaded more than the original matrix. I also own a 10 disc matrix DVD box set. That is all.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    First of all, anything Grant Morrison has done or directly influenced is bad news (Flex Mentalo excepted). Yes, I'm telling you damn The Invisibles, The Filth, Doom Patrol, and JLA. To buggery with Morrison.

I also posit that if the Matrix in any way changes or challenges your outlook on life, you really need to get out more and try to flex your brain once in a while. Nothing in that movie was new beyond the style (which was mostly Hong Kong anyway); if it's making you question your life, then you really need to try reading a book or two. You learn this basic kind of existentialism and "define reality" crap in middle school, don't you? Same sort of juvenile crap Morrison pulls, only on on the silver screen.

And no, Mr. Reeves cannot act.

Fair to middlin action/sci-fi movie, philosophic beefs aside.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Pretty good action movie, nothing more to me.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I agree and disagree with ya. Yeah, if a movie can prompt you to think about something such as that, then it's kinda sad since there's so many better and more original ideas out there for it, BUT at the same time, it's for the masses who DON'T get to get all of that. I, like you, had the "define reality" junk all through middle and high school... so I'm kinda numb on the topic, but I think most people our senior didn't get it as much (in general).

-Ray

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I also hold my fellow man in high contempt, so, y'know, take it as you will.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    That's where our paths differ :p.

-Ray:D

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I felt it to be a bunch of pseudo deep crapity whatnot... but there is one thing that I found interesting about it, the concept of ignorance is bliss. Frankly, I'd rather be "In the Matrix" than be in "the real world" according to that movie. So what if I'm a giant battery, born in goo or whatever. It beats getting eaten by super floating laser bears.

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The 1st one should have been the last, IMO.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Exactly... or should I say Matrixactly.

*slams head into a wall*