Your thoughts on this head's "modded" input jacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thorsoundcore, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore

Jan 22, 2009
    NYS
    I've been taking names for a potential new hybrid bass head, and this rarity from Hughes & Kettner certainly has me infatuated.. You'll find maybe a whopping 5 whole listings maximum for these amps on the web as they're long discontinued and weren't common in the first place.

Anyway, Music Go Round happens to have the cheapest listing of all. Amp sure looks fine by the pictures, but then every time I pull the listing up, it description gets to me..

Here's the listing itself: https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...ghes-kettner-quantum-qt600-bass-amp-500-watts

The description: "The active input jack was bypassed through the passive jack and it now has a larger range to provide optimal sound for both active and passive basses."

???

...I guess I just don't really understand how that's supposed to work... Why someone would even want to have such a rare amp modded like this in the first place. Second, I'll admit my knowledge behind the science of how amps work is quite basic. However, I know enough for this description to make me scratch my head. Like, how does it's "range of sound" get "larger" all by wiring it to only work through the passive input jack? Idk, maybe I'm missing something here. But have you ever heard of any such mod?

I thought about contacting this store, but my gut feeling is they probably can only guess how it works slightly better than me (as opposed to a forum full people who really know what's up). Look, I know H&K isn't big in the bass world at all. This particular amp has very few demos, reviews, etc. out there. I also know you might not want to comment as you might know nothing about the amp itself. But regardless, any shot in the dark or stab at this would be greatly appreciated.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I would be wary, especially because of the rarity. I would also restore it back to how the original designers intended. Modified gear in my book is (almost) always worth less, sometimes a LOT less.

BassmanPaul and infamusblkdeath like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You bypass something around not through. Their description is not clear. Who knows what other mod surprises are in this amp. I’d bypass their offer.

The lowest price is not always the best bargain.

infamusblkdeath, Jim C and agedhorse like this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    $725 (plus $60 shipping), and listed in "fair" condition. What about this deal doesn't scream "walk away" to you?

infamusblkdeath and agedhorse like this.
  5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Allentown, PA!
    Run.

infamusblkdeath likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Gallop? ;)

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    If there is no rational and competent description of what's been done to the amp, then it would be a huge leap in the dark to assume it has been done rationally and competently.

Run.

infamusblkdeath and Redbrangus like this.
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

And don't look back! :(

9. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore

Jan 22, 2009
    NYS
    Wasn't even my first choice of the litter TBH. Again, it was really the curiosity, and every time that description *did in fact send me walking away to check out the others.

The only advantage with this one in particular that I could see was not having to deal with customs (the rest of them are being sold from other countries IIRC).

Edit: Thanks for the input everybody! The hybrid head search continues.

10. Plenty of solid Trace’s out there!