1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your thoughts please: Ampeg SVPCL vs SVP Pro vs. Alembic F1-X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman10096, Jun 14, 2007.

1. The only other suggestion I might have is to get a Sansamp Bass DI pedal. I use one with my practice rig which is where the F1-X part of. Pretty convincing grind when you want it and will bypass when you don't and usually less than $200.

2. Maaak

Maaak

Dec 13, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Dunlop Picks
    I've read on here several times that the SVP-CL and SVP-Pro are out of production...is this true? They still show up on Ampeg's site. :confused:

3. On that note I would also stongly suggest the MXR M80. I used to have the same exact setup and the MXR gave this rig major mojo like you would not belive! No mods needed!:hyper:

4. None of the usual sites have them. According to my local Ampeg dealer, SLM was bought out and now the Ampeg product line is being restructured. He wasn't very happy about the whole thing and was looking at other lines :crying:

5. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Check out the Genz Benz GBE 1200..........I was also considering the SVT-4 Pro and SVT-CL. The blendable mofset and tube channels are great. The "Powerflex" switching allows you to customize the heads efficiency to allow the most "headroom" or volume before any type of overload or "clipping" occur. The GBE 1200 seems louder and stronger than the Ampegs...........You can get one for about as muchas the SVT-4 Pro.........Good Luck!

6. Except this thread is about preamps. The GBE 1200 is a head.

7. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I guess I should read the thread title closer next time!:rollno: I thought it said SV"T"-CL and SV"T"-Pro...........:scowl: I just went through a lot of amp head research recently and it probably was stuck on my mind.........

8. The BBE BMAX-T is a tube preamp, with a Drive control. Does anybody have first-hand experience with this?

9. Yeah - I heard that too - sounds like the SVPCL especially (which was removed from production before the buy-out) will be 2nd hand only.
    I'm glad I got mine when I did........wonder if it appreciates? :eyebrow:

10. The Fender preamp looked interesting, until further reading reveals it is a passive tone stack (cut only).

11. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Has anyone put a dbx comp or any comp between the pre out and amp on the SVP CL? If so, what were the results noise wize or any issues?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021