1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Aug 23, 2007.

1. http://whocg.blogspot.com/2006/02/problems-with-political-correctness.html

Or just read it down here...

Problems with Political Correctness

Political Correctness (PC), defined as "a term used in various countries to describe real or perceived attempts to impose limits on the acceptable language, terms, and viewpoints in public discussion. While it usually refers to a linguistic phenomenon, it is sometimes extended to cover political ideology or public behavior" (Wikipedia).

PC is something that has been in existence for a long time now. However, it has really picked up steam in the past decade or so, becoming far too overbearing. For instance, it is not fair to call fat people fat, we have to call them overweight, horizontally challenged. We can't call short people short, we have to call them vertically challenged. It gets better. We aren't allowed to do certain activities because it is unfair to people.

For example, dodgeball, the favored game of gym-time doesn't exist anymore except save for some leagues spawned from the movie Dodgeball. Dodgeball was the ultimate equalizer. It was everyone for themselves. If you were bad at throwing you had the opportunity to catch the ball, if you were slow you got hit, if you were great at throwing you were a god. The game is far more than just throwing, catching, and dodging. You pick your targets, fire at them, take them down, and systematically defeat everyone on the court. If you were a bully you were probably a prime target. If you were the class nerd you were probably a prime target. No one was safe. It isn't played anymore because it isn't fair to slow kids, doofy kids, fat kids, whinny kids, and so on and so fourth. TOO BAD. Life isn't fair although PC really attempts to cast life as the most pleasant thing out there, where nothing bad can happen to anyone. Dodgeball taught that lesson, it taught that things aren't fair. So, out of compassion for the kids who repeatedly lost in dodgeball, because they were just useless to begin with, this game is banned. I was the dorky, doofy, not super-athletic, short kid when I was in school. Dodgeball, for me, was the best damn game out there and I made it my point to knock out as many people as I could, especially the ones that picked on me. They may have picked on me in the class but in the gym, playing dodgeball, they knew better.

PC has evolved to far more than just this. Last season Christmas trees were repeatedly called "Holiday Trees." This is beyond nonsense. It became far worse to even mention Christmas. I can't say I have many problems with the term "Happy Holidays" but to go as far as to say that I can't use the word Christmas is just problematic. This is just one of many prime examples.

It is unfair to fail kids in school because of fear of lawsuits, hurt feelings, and mental damage. If your kid is in 9th grade and reads like he or she is in 1st grade he or she SHOULD be failed and you, as a parent, should realize this and do your damn job. What's worse is our education system is failing because of this and another major problem. The school boards are too busy looking for bilingual teachers so that lesson plans can be taught in Spanish rather than in English. We no longer make it a priority to teach English, because it isn't PC. Though English may only be the de facto language and not the official, this has gone too far.

PC is slowly withering away the very fabric of this nation. The very nature of turning everything into a question of whether or not it will hurt someone's feelings is something that will only lead to destruction and failure. The minute we started changing our way of life because it hurt the feelings of eight people it should have thrown up a red flag. It never did and now look at what we're dealing with, this has just gone too far.

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Allow me to introduce the mass pussification of our nation's youth.

America at this moment is raising a generation of weenies, and it makes me sick.

3. The principles of PC have gained momentum over the past 20 or so years to the pitch that it is destroying the fabric of nations and, to my mind, has created a level of resentment and discontent out of all proportion to the amount of supposed 'Offence' that has been avoided. It has spawned a whole industry dedicated to identifying possible causes of 'offence'.

In the UK, my country of origin, the wave of PC began as a way of combating racism, or perhaps more accurately, a way for public figures (polititians) and corporations to present a non-racial face. That has now spread into every single minority grouping (real or imagined) and each sub-dividion therof.

It had reached the point when I left the UK the every single conversation I had with anybody lasting more than 5 minutes would contain the phrase "I know you shouldn't say it these days.....but", it's rediculous, it's foolish and it's doing a lot of damage.

For me PC got so bad that it is no longer the country I was born and raised in, it is no longer the country I served, it is no longer a country I can take pride in and that is sad. So I left.

4. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeowch.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

**** PC. Sometimes all the people need is to grow up a little.

5. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i dunno, there's a difference between calling someone short and calling someone a ******. but like everything else, people take it to the extreme.

at the same time, i prefer someone assuming something about me and calling me a dyke to my face than hushing them up and having them wait for me in the alley with a crowbar.

them's my thoughts.

6. I think the intentions behind the PC movement were good, but now it's just stupidly out of control.

7. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I like extreme political correctness. It puts Christmas in its place (AT HOME BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!):smug:

8. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    What, like kinky sex and drug addiction?

Totally comparable.

9. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    There's always different levels, gotta take extremists with a grain of salt.

10. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Those things are natural....Christmas on the other hand....

11. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...Doesn't hurt anything.

12. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Christmas killed my parents!!

13. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX

(blinks)

O_O

Um.

I stand corrected.

14. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Okay, so I know pc has gone too far, but is it really neccesary to have to view it as such. We are so used to Darwinism that we forget that although we might not have a purpose in life, we are sentient creatures and can ponder it. It's like the matrix. We can't even possibly begin to hope for some sort of utopia or lasting peace, because our minds won't accept it. Our mentality way too primitive. Well have fun in dodgeball class, Ogg.

15. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    When I have to worry about being sued for emotional damage for reprimanding one of my bass students for not going over the material I gave him to go over, then HELL YES I'ma view PC as going too far.

I didn't yell at him. I didn't call him stupid. I didn't say he was a bad student (even though he was... I dropped his sniveling ass the moment the word "lawsuit" was mentioned). I didn't lose my cool. I told him his parents' money would be put to better use elsewhere if he wasn't going to actually learn anything I was trying to teach him. THAT'S IT.

If anyone feels they can justify THAT, feel free.

16. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    JOMAHU said "******"!!!!!! This is the most repulsive, disgusting post I've ever read in my entire life! I'd never...in all my years!!! UGH!

What does jomahu have against homosexuality?! I'm calling ____________(insert proper organization here)! And when they're done with jomahu, they'll have jomahu's house, jomahu's grandparent's house, jomahu's current and/or future children's house, and their current and/or children's house(s)!!

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Political Correctness has gone way overboard these days, plain and simple.

18. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    :eek: mjolnir's going to burn!! You called that poor boy stupid!!??!? You're going to get soooo sued for this!! Mental damage, harrassment, and even malpractice and practicing psychiatry without a license!!! The HUMANITY!!! What's this world coming to?! I'm calling_____________(insert high profile lawyer looking for a career in politics and could use a case like this to further his career and/or boost it or just get his name in the press, here)!!!! And when he's done with you....that boy's going to own your liver!!! GRRRRR!!!!

19. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    hehe... You just made my day, Louie.

I got the perfect lawyer for ya, my cousin, in fact. Would LOVE to see me burn.

He'd call me Brandon, though.

20. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    ARE YOU OFF YOUR ROCKER!!?!!? What's wrong with you...Brandon!! Are we going to add being a pyromaniac, a cannibal, and insane to your lawsuit!?!?!! You'd love to see your cousin burn you sick, sick, man!!?? I'm calling____________(insert horrible journalist who only got their degree because they were pretty and slept with their professors and now can only get work on TV...yes, this includes guys)and when they're done with you...your cousin will own your toenails!!!