1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, Aug 24, 2012.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I would like to know your thoughts on this, and yes it is up to me, but I want to hear what people have to say about these two basses! I may have a chance to get a Warwick German made corvette 6, price unknown yet, they have not set it yet, or I can go with a Ibanez SR 5006 prestige bass. What are your trout about these basses! I will add this I have small hands, I play jazz, R&B, and pop!

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    You should pick whichever bass you like best.

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    GC has a used Ibanez SR 5006 prestige bass
    for $1,000.

Tabdog

4. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Waaaarrrrwiiiiccckkk! You'll never be disappointed. I have a Corvette and have owned Ibanezes. Warwick over 'Nez any day! :)

5. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Can't go wrong with either bass .... But if your hands are sensitive to neck size you might be better off with the ibanez. I have very small hands but I've come to the conclusion that neck size/ hands is mostly in my head. I love my corvette but it does have a good size neck... But Warwick necks are nice and narrow and width is what really matters to me.

6. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    As a Warwick (fretless) Corvette owner I am biased...I always encourage players to try a Warwick since they are fine instruments.

7. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    +1 indiedog :) i'mbiased too hehe.

8. If possible, I suggest you to try both and make a decision based on your personal preference.

That said, you mentioned small hands. Large hands to play bass are basically an incorrect theory. My hands are not large by any means. I own an Ibanez SR885, Warwick Thumb BO 6 (and Conklin GTBD-7).

The string spacing of my SR885 is more narrow and the neck much thinner than the Thumb. Some people enjoy these necks & some feel they can play faster runs. However, I discovered my Thumb is just as easy to play. I only have to adjust my thumb position on the back of the neck and I'm good to go.

9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Tusen takk! :hyper:
    Warwicks have a lovely tone!

10. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Do you really need any more advice than this?

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Alright if you like a thin fast neck, ibanez

If you don't mind a slightly fatter neck but REDICULOUSLY awesome tone, go Warwick.

That's that

Both are awesome instruments. I have small hands too and I've had no problem on either when I played them

12. ursusaltered

ursusaltered

Feb 23, 2009
    Madison WI
    Warwick! Ibanez tone sux. No comparison in the playability category either. Warwick makes a great bass for any genre. Whether you like funk, rock, blues, r&b, country, metal. They are excellent, and versatile. Seriously take the advice. I have tiny hands too, and never had a problem with wicks.

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    You're that guy on youtube with the 10 minute awesome bass solo aren't you? If so, great work

14. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Ibanez makes decent mid range basses. My favorite are their SR 500 to 700 basses. I had one higher end bass and have played a buch of their higher end stuff including the model you mentioned but to be honest with you, I prefer their mid range stuff over their high end stuff as everything seems the same to me. I also hate the high end Soundgear bridges! They suck and are a pain to set up and go out of their setting to easily.

Now with Warwick basses, they are good basses. I like them but I'm not in love with them. If they were a girl, I would most likely friend zone them if you know what I mean. Depending on the price difference between the two basses is how I would make my personal choice. But would lean slightly towards the Warwick. Also, if your stuck on Ibanez, look at their SR 506, 606 or 706 series as you will save a ton of money and have just as good of a bass as the SR 5006 but with different wood.

15. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I forgot too add, if you can find an 06 ibanez sr506, they have wenge and bubinga necks. With the right settings you can almost get a Warwick tone. I own one

16. ursusaltered

ursusaltered

Feb 23, 2009
    Madison WI

Yup! Thanks man! I love bass!

17. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know what all this Ibanez hate is coming from. I have the SR5000, and it is an awesome bass. I haven't played a Warwick, but I have never really found them to be too appealing except for maybe the $$. The Ibanez has a very smooth tone and is very even volume/tone across every string since it is an arched pu. I put DR MM's on it, and I could definitely get it to get some awesome tones out of it. I had it in standard and then dropped it to c, and I didn't have to adjust anything. The neck is very solid. I also think it is more aesthetically pleasing, but that is up in the air for anyone.

Edit: I also think it would work great for those genres, and definitely be ideal for smaller hands.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would consider how good of a deal you're getting on either bass as well. Both are sweet basses. Do you know which pickups the Ibby has?

19. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I had a 5006 briefly, and have always been an Ibanez guitar fan, but i wasn't terribly impressed with it. i absolutely loved the Warwick fretless I had, but i couldn't play it with any reasonable intonation because it was unlined :) It did play and sound (and look) fantstic though.

If you can, play them both, they are different instruments really. Different enough that you will prefer 1 over the other.

20. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008

Like I said.