Your Tips on Alleviating the Dreaded Duo "Mud & Boom"???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

thought we make a nice tidy thread for those coping/dealing with the dreaded "muddy" and "boomy" rom.

what are your methods to taming this madness?
  2. Cut the bass on EQ, Stay away from walls and corners, and most importantly stay far away from big flabby 15's.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Put the speaker up on something, turn down, use front ported cabs (nothing quite like a Golaith 2 in a boomy room :scowl: ), pump up the low mids (200+) and highs, and forget about having a satisfying/full tone. Just try to find something that you can hear the pitch of so you get through the gig. Hopefully the soundman knows how to get the FOH cooking (sometimes its FOH bounceback that adds a lot of the boom).
  4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    To avoid "Mud and Boom" I usually just unplug the P-bass from the Ampeg.

5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Also, check out MaxxBass technology. It uses phantom freqencies to simulate low end. Without the huge echoey muddy boom.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    All this...Definitely make sure to put yer amp up off the stage! I'm definitely a believer that walls and corners are not yer friends either. Also, play for the room...adjust YOUR sound to the space, rather than what sounds good in your practice room or bedroom. Also room sizes can make a biiiiig difference, so adjust accordingly.
  7. Two words: Sealed Cab.

Works every time.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What's this I see? An Acme user complaining about mud? Surely not! Maybe, just maybe 30Hz isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
  10. Avoid turning anything of the EQ dials all the way up :p
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

was never problem for me. ;)

given that i am an Acme user, i like the neutral aspect of the cabs. not only do i have a blank slate to make a nice malleable room friendly sound, but at least, i'm not fighting any extra hyped frequencies that the cab itself is pushing out. i think Mark of Accugroove also pointed this out about his cabs in another thread.

but this brings up a great point. maybe we need to make a distinction, btwn mud and boom. admittedly, my acmes will suffer from a little boom in certain rooms, but mud has never been a problem.

for me cutting boom does include lowering a little bass on the knob, but at the same time, when i wanna alleviate mud, i'll cut back on some mids around the 200-500Hz area, which clears up the sound.
  12. 250hz has been a mud zone for me in the past. That is until I added internal bracing and blocked half of the shelf port in my B212.
  13. Clarus + Accugroove and MOST definately no Pbass.

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I really don't understand the P-bass comments. Unless you're doing something strange with EQ, I've found good P-basses to be some of the most consistenly punchy live basses around. Just quit cutting all the mids!

I was thinking more about "boom" in my response, with my gear choices I havn't had a mud problem since high school.
  15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, if you're playing a P-bass and it sounds muddy, you're doing something wrong.
  16. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    What's up Joker-

Your pal Lonnybass here. I've tried to find solutions to the mud and boom problems and have found that a few things have worked pretty well for me-

1. Watch overall volume level.

2. A parametric EQ, usually pinpointing about 200 Hz out and 700 Hz in.

3. Go vertical with my B2s.

4. Listen to how the kick drum is responding.

Of course, I'm just the bass player, what do I know? :)

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    High pass filters! And vertical speaker arrays.

18. As mentioned by others: back off on the lows and isolate my cab from the stage (I use a Auralex Gramma). Accentuate low mids. Avoid corners and just plain deal with it if all else fails.
  19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Heh, pretty funny. I also dig the Joe Dirt doo Pete (aka mullet) :) ;) :D :eek: ! Just messin with ya of course.
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's Poida to you! :p