Your Tone?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by conttador, Dec 2, 2021.

1. conttador

conttador Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    How do you guys dial in your tone? Do you dial it in through an onboard preamp, a rack mounted preamp, your amp’s preamp or some other combination?

I typically use my basses’ preamps and on my ‘78 Jazz I’ll use a Sadowsky pedal and keep my amp settings flat. What’s your approach?

Twobass, DJ Bebop, Auspuff and 2 others like this.
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    No offense, but that's like asking which bass?
    So many variables... From music style to venue to....You get the picture

DJ Bebop, JRA, Bonafide and 4 others like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You betcha! :)

Which tone? I have several.

s0c9 likes this.
  4. conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Humor me…

5. conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I think everyone does…

wildman2 likes this.
  6. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    Tone Hammer DI or the front end of a Quilter BB800. Sometimes a little of both. I play passive basses.

7. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve landed on P bass and Markbass, no pedals. It’s a very plug-n-play option for me. Adjust the 4-Band EQ to the room, but usually very minimal tweaking is necessary.

701F6475-01BD-4F74-8A21-F7A2EA567EBA.jpeg

mexicant, backin82, conttador and 8 others like this.
  8. conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    How is that Quilter?

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    It’s simple but capable. I’m not much of a knob fiddler so it’s right up my alley. But it also takes preamps really well and in louder situations I like the AGS circuit on the THDI. Playing with acoustic instruments in lower volume situations I often play an acoustic/electric bass with a K&K passive pickup plugged straight in. Either way, I’m happy with my sound.

conttador and jdh3000 like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I elevate my cab and aim it at my ears. Then I dial in my sound for clarity and articulation using primarily the amp's tone controls. My stage amp is primarily for my needs. The sound I want on stage, would not be appropriate for the FOH mix. My intent is for the amp to cut through the stage mix.

I generally work with full PA support. The audio tech takes a DI straight off my bass. If someone want more bass, they ask for it in their monitor mix.

Part of the benefit of my approach (IMHO), is it allows me to monitor at a very low level. So even though my sound is rather bright, it's not generally loud enough cause a lot of interference with the PA. Keep in mind the, the cab is tilted back so the higher frequencies shoot out over audience. Also elevating the cab reduces the lows.

11. For the most part I pretty much leave all the tone knobs set to neutral on my Mesa TT-800 and Quilter BB800 and let the onboard Audere preamp do all the tone shaping. It seems to work for home, rehearsal and at least one gig.
    BarukeModRigs01.jpg

12. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Bass into amp. Adjust to taste.

13. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Strings and pickups do the heavy lifting for me - I prefer extra light gauge stainless roundwounds :woot:

tshapiro and HardNHeavy like this.
  14. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I play finger style, but I prefer to strike the strings down hard, such that they clank.
    I run an HPF, set so the bass doesn't stand in the way of the clank.
    I generally (all at the amp) dial the bass back a bit, keep the mids average, and boost the top a bit so I clank.
    I honestly don't have much gear experience. My GK 1001RB clanks, and I love it. Clank go brrrrrrrrrrrr.
    My Rumble 500 doesn't clank :vomit:
    My TE Elf doesn't clank :vomit:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    mikewalker, Bigweasel269 and Wasnex like this.
  15. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    I follow this

bylar13, Auspuff and inthevelvet like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The tone knobs are not set to neutral on that TT800. The bass, mid, and treble knobs on those amps are not "flat at noon". Some are cut only (meaning 10 is flat) and some are boost only (meaning nearly 0 is flat). So, with all if the knobs at noon, you're cutting and boosting all over the place. :D

That said (and back on topic) I play mostly passive basses with the tone knobs dimed. I use the two channels on my TT800 to shape my main tone. And then I use technique and plucking position to change it even more. I use finger style, the side of my thumb, a pick, slap, whatever it takes to coax the tone I want out of my bass. And I do all of the from the bridge to the neck.

17. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    upload_2021-12-3_2-40-24.jpeg

18. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    Did you mean For the style of music I play? Because that is the biggest indicator to me.
    Since I only play Fender P-bass or J-bass, my bass knobs are all the way up. Then I dial in the tone using the amp. That usually means turning down the highs, mid, and turning up the bass.
    Reality is, it's more about right volume for room than tone for me. Since I'm just a meat and potatoes player in a 3 piece band, I just need my sound to take up space.

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    With my most complex setup, which is active bass into pedalboard into amp,
    I do the majority of toneshaping on my pedalboard.
    The tone controls on the bass are used to fix something on the fly (mid song).
    The tone controls on the amp are used to marry the cabinet(s) to the room.
    The tone controls on the pedalboard are used to create the core of the sound I want.

If I am in a live situation with FOH support, I will usually not touch anything that's in the chain before the DI to FOH once the sound is set.

OpposableThumbs and XLunacy like this.
  20. Well, it’s kind of a good question. I don’t use pedals just my amp, Fender Bassman 100t.
    Most times it works fine. However....sometimes I play with 2 guitar players with big pedal boards and I mean big. Probably 20 pedals each.
    My Jazz can’t cut through no matter what I do. My P can a bit. It’s still a struggle. I’m thinking an EQ pedal.
    They play very spacey atmospheric type of stuff, only way I can explain it.
    Not totally my thing but it’s fun and both are good players.
    I’ll EQ to the room/other players or if I’m alone practicing and leave it be.

jdh3000 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022