Your too loud. Turn it down...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by =^..^=, Nov 23, 2002.

1. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Tonight we were hired by a motorcyle gang to play at a fund raiser in a local hotel basement.

One song left in the first set and the owner of the venue came up to the stage and in a very irritated voice "Your too loud ! Turn this music down right now! My residents are complaining".

Anyone guess how the band reacted ?

Our singer asked the crowd if they thought we were to loud. Strangely enough no-one said we were. As we knew we weren't getting paid by the venue and as the venue would never book us anyway we had nothing to lose.

Up until that point I'd been using about 20% of max vol. The guitarist just ran his hand along the top of his controls rotating them all clockwise to the stops. I just wound in some more bass and cranked the master to the stop. If anyone ever wonders how loud 'very loud' is - its about 600 watts of Ashdown.

I'm still amazed that the owner of the place actually came up to a band she wasn't paying and expected them to do anything for her.

Mind you one of the band went to the bar and got shouted at by her for ordering too big a round. And then I got shouted at for ordering to small a round.

Great gig though - three encores so we must have been doing something right !
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, this confirms what I have always said.. "Who needs to sound good, if you can go loud?" :D
  3. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    more like...

"If it's too loud.... Turn it down"

::weezer quote::

:D :D
  4. Well, just as well the guitarist wasn't on "10" when you wanted to turn up. Where can you go if you're on "10"? Nowhere... That's when you need to go to "11"...

5. Hahahaha.....I love Spinal Tap :D
  6. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    now the venue will most likely never hire/allow live musicians there.

Wonderful way to make live music in your area thrive.
  7. lovely.
    now the venue will most likely never hire/allow live musicians there.

Wonderful way to make live music in your area thrive.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! They were playing in a HOTEL!!!! You know, a place where people go to SLEEP! And his and the bands reaction of turning everything up was childish and inmature. You give all musicians a bad name! I have written 6 articles over at Activebass, and the one I am going to quote from is
    Getting the gig, and keeping the job"...

***Always act professional. Most musicians get a bad rap, because of a few idiots. We NEVER drink when we are gigging, some bands do. In my own personal opinion, if you want to drink, wait until you are done. Contrary to popular belief, you do not sing or play better when you have had a me. Go listen to karioke some night if you don't believe me.. It's not pretty. Be polite to the help, and always remind the crowd to tip the waitresses and bartenders. Why? Because if you make it a point to look out for the other people trying to make a living, like you are, they are going to greatly appreciate your acknowledgment of them, and that means more tips. They are happy to have you there, they will be in your corner when it comes to hiring bands for future gigs.

P.S. if someone tells you to turn it down, do it immediately!! Do not argue or complain, you are working for them, you are not in charge.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Excuse me, Mrs. McCabe ma'am, but if you read the sentence "I'm still amazed that the owner of the place actually came up to a band she wasn't paying and expected them to do anything for her." you'll find out that actually what he said was that they weren't paid by the hotel. And as their employer The Biker Gang liked it, weren't they acting professional in a strange, twisted way?

Now, is the hotel willing to let any other biker gang have a party there, that's another case :D
  9. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Biker Tramps rule!.......
    :( I'm lonely

10. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Funky and Lesa - can't you see the irony in the manager of a place which has allowed the local hells angel chapter to hold a meet on its premises and then asking the band to turn down.

Just one question though - have you ever been in a cabaret band playing weddings, dinner dances etc ? I did that for nearly ten years. I've put my time in doing that. I've jumped when someone says turn down. I've played so quite that I can barely hear myself.

Not in this band though. This band is a raw return to the sheer pleasure of playing, playing hard and fast, playing hot and very sweaty, playing 100% - it takes me nearly three hours to calm down after a gig. I have to eat in the break as if I don't I don't have enough carbohydrate to finish the night. I drink plain water - usually four of five pints a gig - most of it comes out in sweat... I usually end up with bruising on my chest from where my bass hits me as I bounce round. This is energy in music.

The person who booked us knew what we were like, expected it and if we hadn't done what we do so well would have been cheated...

But we got paid, we have a return booking with the bikers, and next year we will play to over 10,000 bikers on one hot night in June..

As far as I'm concerned the band gave the audience what they wanted, the band gave the person paying for the band what they expected and if you think thats unprofessional then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Tsal - Lesa ain't a sir, she's a lady..
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oops, I stand corrected (*grumble* yankees and their stupid names no-one can make out */grumble* :oops: )

So how are you going to respond to this new challenge? A pair of these tower-enclosed EBS 4x12s, perhaps? :D

12. aren't the hells angels all like 60 now?
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nah.... too small.

I say you go for 4 Eden 410XST cabs being fed by at least 4000 Watts.

If the bikers dont think thats loud enough, it only because they no longer have functioning ears ;)

14. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Heh, power, heh

you want power, you should check out what my friend got for his birthday!

His parents rented him 10 (yes, 10) 4x12 guitar speaker cabinets. they also bought him a 300w randall warhead head. then they ran that thru 2 or 3 carvin dcm2000. They also rented the local football arena at the high school. He just set everything up, plugged in, and jammed all day.(he is one of the stereo-typical egomainiacs we call guitarists) I could hear him from my house over 2 miles away!!

His birthday present that he got to keep was the randall head, by the way

jsut thought i would add my little story..

15. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I can't argue with the dollar that wound up in your pocket... All I'm saying is I doubt anyone gets paid a dime at that holiday inn ever again.

and yes I have and do work in situations where I'm asked to turn down... simplify that line... play a fill... oooh can you slap here???... can you make it sound like X.... here read the chart... No Chart follow me for the changes... that's the defination of professionalism in my book... getting called back and getting new gigs because you can take direction...

but Ironicly the groups I play with aren't asked to turn down... were asked to turn up... because EVERY situation we go into we go in with a spirit of humility and respect... and always the person in charge is the person paying the light bill... it's their establishment....

glad you got the repeat gig with the bikers though... I'm sure you'll enjoy it
  16. i am only 14, and i am only in grade 9 english, but i believe the propper grammar would be "you're too loud"
    then again, i could be wrong.

I've never seen a band play at a holiday inn, I must be missing something. Still, like GF said, the hotel should have known what they would get if they agreed to host the Hell's Angels, (its not as if NO ONE knows them) and even after that bad experience its not like they're not going to let NO ONE in. I'm sure they'll discourage rock bands, but jazz or blues bands I'm sure they'd be fine with. And who knows, things change. They might end up playing they're again, you never know. Weirder things have happened.
  18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Every time you play a live gig you're a living advertisement for your band. You were perhaps not payed for this particular gig but you never know who's going to hire you next because they liked you as persons and as a band. Could be the hotel owner would be willing to pay the next time. Could be someone in the audience that will throw a big party, or knows someone who needs live music somewhere else.

You just blew your chances with this hotel owner, and who knows how many in the audience, just to show how cool and loud you are. Not to mention the live gigging opportunities you blew for other bands at this hotel.

I'm speaking from experience, we had a hard time getting a gig at a cool local pub because the previous week a band had played so loud that people actually left feeling sick, so they were considering skipping live music altogether and only use DJs. We asked to play for free, it turned out a super fun gig, the bar owner came up to us after the gig, shook our hands and thanked us for playing at a decent level. He said it can be hell for the bar personel who can't leave even if the music is killing their ears. He then gave us a standing invitation to play, free membership in their club and free beer when we stop by, and he put our visit card box with booking info next to his beer pumps.
  19. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey, you made the people that hired you happy because you gave them what they expected. I wouldn't worry about not passing an audition for someone who "might" have been there checking you out. If you are a loud rock band and that's what the people wanted to hear, then you did the right thing. The mystery client looking to hire a band for their holiday Inn brunch or icecream social were probably not going to hire you anyway. and if they tried to you'd be nuts to take the gig. Rock out with your c@ck out if that's what you do. Eat'm and smile :D
  20. If you think about it, someone who was looking to sign a band to a gig or even a label would more than likely be looking for crowd pleasers, which is what you apparently did. On the other hand, take Anders' advise and try not to play the rebel rocker next time, because you may have gotten a good response by a motorcycle gang - but who knows what type of crowd you'll be playing for next? Just some thoughts. :) Either way, keep on rockin' (in the free world....). ;) :D