your top-5 concerts of all time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Low8, May 8, 2020.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Music... comedy... or spoken word... what concerts/shows are in your top-5 of all time?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    In no particular order...

Freddie Hubbard, 1979 or 1980...

Andre Navarra, around the same time

Pat Metheny Group, 1983

Talking Heads, 1983

Weather Report, 1981

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    1. Gogol Bordello (absurdly cool live show)

2. Rage Against The Machine

3. Bobby Lee (also needs to be seen live)

4. The Struts (worth seeing live, but not on my playlist)

5. Mitch Hedberg (was only at a Letterman taping, but he is my all-time favorite, so I had to add him)

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Just five? Virtually impossible, but I’ll try with these, there are so many others with their own unique moments that run neck and neck

Neville Brothers, 1986(?), Parody Hall, KCMO

Leonard Cohen, 2009, Nokia Theater, LACA

The Residents, 1986(?), Bottleneck, Lawrence, KS

Tom Verlaine and band, late-90’s, Viper Room, West Hollywood, CA

The Church, “Psychedelic Symphony”, 2011,
    Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia

5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    1971- The Who, San Diego Sports Arena
    1972- Jethro Tull, The Eagles (opened) Oakland Colosseum
    1980- The Who, Willie Nile (opener) Los Angeles Forum
    1979- AC/DC, New England (opener) Long Beach Arena(3900 people!) Highway to Hell tour with Bon Scott
    2019- The B-52's, OMD, Berlin Majestic Theater, San Antonio

Honorable Mentions:
    1978-1984 The Squeeze, X, 999, The Knack, Johnny Guitar Watson, Tonio K, Bad Religion, TSOL, The Blasters, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Aerosmith, Bad Co.

6. Allman Brothers 12-75 Nashville Municipal Auditorium
    Rush Farewell To Kings Tour Nashville Nashville’s Municipal Auditorium
    Sir Douglas Quintet 2-81 Vanderbilt Underwood Auditorium
    King Crimson 10-12-81 Atlanta’s Electric Ballroom
    Talking Heads 82 and 83 Nashville Vanderbilt Gym/Municipal Auditorium

And 1000s more...
    Honorable mention- any Nighthawks show , particularly the classic lineup : Wenner, Thackery, Zukowski and Ragusa.

7. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    In no order:

Weird Al Yankovic
    Foghat (James Gang and Boston openers)
    Rod Stewart and Faces (Spooky Tooth opener)
    Yes - seen at least six times (the time Porcupine Tree opened was great...)
    Dweezil Zappa

8. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    I've not seen a lot of big name concerts .....
    But the single most entertaining thing I have ever seen was Blue Man Group.
    Anyone who puts a mic IN a 6 foot bass drum and plays it with a MALLET wins!

My favorite band also puts on a good show .... ZZ Top. I would have like to have seen their World Wide Texas Tour.

biguglyman, PaulS, TOOL460002 and 2 others like this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Blackberry Smoke and Government Mule 2016

James Brown 2000

Allman Brothers Band 2006

Kool and the Gang 2005-ish

Chuck Berry 1988 I actually had a conversation with Chuck!

Honorable mentions: David Bowie (Glass Spider Tour); The Tragically Hip before they became famous; RHCP before they became famous; BareNaked Ladies before they became famous. All college campus small venue shows.

10. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    • Billy Joel – Brendan T. Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ (1982)
      At the urging of a friend, I was lucky enough to catch one of the local Nylon Curtain tour shows. We were supposed to go to the Nassau Coliseum show and see Billy in his own 'hood, but it sold out quickly, so we got tickets for the Meadowlands show instead. This was my very first rock concert experience, and it left an indelible impression on me.
    • The Police – Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT (1983)
      Getting to see my all-time favorite band at the height of their popularity (the "Synchronicity" tour) is an amazing memory. Little did I know that it would be their last album tour, and that it would take another 23 years for them to appear on stage together again...by which point I had completely lost interest in attending arena-sized shows.
    • David Gilmour – Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY (1984)
      He was touring in support of his second solo album, About Face. The combination of the Floyd connection, the amazing music, and the gentle sea breeze at dusk was a rather magical experience.
    • U2 – Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT (1987)
      By the time The Joshua Tree had been released, I decided that I had to see this band live at least once in my life, and I was not disappointed in the least. Billy Joel may be "The Entertainer," but Bono is truly "The Preacher of the Rock & Roll Gospel."
    • Uncle Remus and The Whole Show – Levon Helm's Barn, Woodstock, NY (2004)
      Before Levon began holding his sporadic "Midnight Ramble" events, he held something of a trial run that I was lucky enough to attend. The night was also highly memorable because I got to meet a bunch of terrific musicians, including a fabulous young guitarist named Sean Costello, who sadly, like Levon, is no longer with us.

11. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Fun question...

No particular order
    Amnesty International -- 1988 (i think) -- Sting, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman, Bruce Springsteen
    -- I wasn't a huge Springsteen fan before the show but he went on at like 11 p.m. and played for almost 3 hours. I was a fan after that.

David Bowie -- Shoreline Amphitheater -- Around 1988-- I think it was the Glass Spider tour. Fantastic Show

A Gathering of the Tribes -- 1990 -- Really in the heart of the Mega act shows -- Pacific Amphitheater -- Ice T, Soundgarden, The Cramps, Iggy Pop, supposed to have Public Enemy but they weren't allowed to perform in the OC

Lolapalooza 1991 -- Irvine Meadows -- Jane's Addiction, Body Count, Siousxie and the Banshees, Rollins Band -- I remember "most" of the show for various chemically-induced reasons.

Rush -- R40 -- 2015 -- St. Louis -- I've been to so many Rush shows but this one was just so much fun with Geddy changing basses almost every song and them really pulling out all the stops to give the fans a great final handshake.

Honorable mentions -- Any of the Halloween Oingo Boingo shows we would go to in SoCal back in the 1980s. Just a big party with costumes, fun and banging music.

Went for my wife but had a hell of a time at an Alanis Morissette show in Indianpolis. She had just launched Jagged Little Pill and was playing at a bunch of tiny venues. We saw her at a club called the Patio which was about the size of your average dive bar. Say what you will about her music but she threw herself into the show. Great performance.

Fishbone sometime in the late 80s early 90s at Chapman College (my alma mater) in SoCal

Almost got to see Anthrax at Iguana's in TJ but i got smashed in the face by a full beer can and was forced to leave before the show started due to the condition of my face. (That was a fun night for my friends trying to get me drunk and bloodied across the border).

12. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Just 5 off the top of my head. I'd probably come up with 5 different shows if I thought about it longer.

J Geils Band, Billy Joel, Captain Beefheart (Special Guest) - Academy of Music, NYC February 17, 1972

Lou Reed - Springfield, Mass Dec. 6, 1973.

Kinks - Beacon Theater, NYC May 1975

Frank Zappa - Nassau Coliseum, NY March 25, 1988

Jeff Beck - Irving Plaza, NYC April 9, 2009

13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My favorite musical experiences have been in clubs and not concerts.

But, being an old man....................

First and best concert Eric Clapton and Cream 1968 Veterians Memorial Columbus Ohio. I was 16 yrs old.

Jethro Tull '68 or '69 Ohio Wesleyan, Delaware, Ohio. Saw Frank Zappa there too in 1970.

The Byrds, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Sha Na Na with Bruce Springsteen (before fame) at the Ohio Theater, Columbus, Ohio on separate dates 1970 - '73.

Flying Burrito Bros OSU Mershon Auditorium Columbus, Ohio maybe 1972.

Poco, free outdoor concert Yellow Springs, Ohio 1970 (I think.)

14. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    1978 , Kansas , Mobile Municipal Auditorium , Mobile AL , MIND BLOWN !
    Dixie Dregs , Jethro Tull , Gino Vanelli , ELP .

15. Windowliquor

Windowliquor Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2018
    In no particular order.

The Cramps, late 80s, when Candy Del Mar was the bass player. Zoinks! Still have a crush on her and Poison Ivy.

Unsane and Today is the Day, the Ottobar(original location), late 90s. Thunderously loud, and one of the most physically aggressive shows I’ve ever attended. My ears rang for days.

Every chance I got to see Fugazi(10 or so times total). They’re never not impressive.

Shellac, maybe 5 times over the last 30 years? See above description of Fugazi.

Beastie Boys and Tribe Called Quest at MSG, 1998. Also the Beastie Boys’ 2 night stand in the early 90s. Night 1–Beasties, Sonic Youth, Cibo Matto, Sonic Youth, and one other band I can’t recall. Night 2—Beasties, L7, Rollins Band, and Cypress Hill. And then another time in DC with fIREHOSE, and Cypress Hill.

And one more, since I’ve already broken the rules of the question... any gig Mike Watt’s been involved in. I’ve seen multiple variations of “Mike Watt and the ……______men”, fIREHOSE, The Stooges, etc. Literally brings me near to tears every time. That is one heart on his sleeve dude.

dm3os, Timmy Liam, design and 6 others like this.
  16. Jon Lars

Jon Lars

Mar 16, 2011
    Pick five:

IMG_3257a.jpg

17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Excellent responses so far! Keep 'em coming.

And concerts take place in clubs, too... so don't think it has to take place at a big hall or arena.

18. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    1. Iron Maiden , Dio , Motörhead - Columbus OH
    2. Tool 10000 days tour - Roanoke, VA
    3. Metallica , Godsmack - Roanoke, VA
    4. Pantera, Slayer - Huntington, WV
    5. ZZtop - Johnson City, TN

Datsgor, Socobass, ELG60 and 6 others like this.
  19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Queen, Stones, Pink Floyd,Black Sabbath,Chuck Berry.

20. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    I, too, have seen a lot of shows, and might have a different list tomorrow - one that includes Primus and Vic Wooten. But these five are today's list:

Rush
    , Worcester Centrum, October 2, 1984 (Grace Under Pressure tour.) My first time (of many) seeing my favorite band.
    David Lee Roth, Eat 'Em and Smile Tour, January 24th, 1987, Rochester War Memorial, NY. Why? Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan, that's why! (Diamond Dave was very entertaining as well.)
    Robert Plant with Stevie Ray Vaughan opening, May 11, 1988, Rochester War Memorial. This was the first tour on which Plant played Zeppelin songs since Bonham's death, and this was the first US show on the tour, so all of that was a big deal. Place went nuts when "Trampled Under Foot" started. But the reason this show makes the list is Stevie, RIP.
    Lake Street Dive, College Street Music Hall, New Haven, CT, October 8th, 2019. My new favorite band. Rachael had just broken her ankle and was sitting on a "throne" (LOL) but was still the best singer I've ever seen. And Bridgit on upright bass... excellent!
    Yes, December 12th, 1987. Rochester War Memorial. Big Generator Tour. Front row center - I have a pic of the view from my seat here in my bass room:
    20200509_105541.jpg
    Yes, that's Chris Squire standing right in front of me with his brand-new new Mouradian 5-string. That show was a clinic.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021