1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your top 5 O(verdrives)F(uzzes)D(distortions) for LIVE.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    1. Z.Vex Mastotron - this gated fuzz was born for deep and shiny synth tone. I used to use it with Beigel's Tru Tron x3 and Malekko LoFi. It works perfect with an active bass unlike its predecessor Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth.
    2. HBE Hematoma - very simple, but strong pre-amp. Clean boost - up to 6 db. TB-ish overdrive - dark but sweet and loud.
    3. Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler. This one is my new and beloved fuzz. I use it with just a bit of dirt to achieve the sound similar to Fascination Street of Cure, but not the same. I know it can give me much more if i try to use it in more fuzzy way. I am working on it.
    4. Iron Ether Oxide. This fuzz offers two kind of sounds for me. Nice gated fuzz (already have one as i use Mastotron) or a clean boosted tone with a small amount of fizzy dirt, just amazing. This pedal is like a mama's cake - sometimes you hate it and the other time you can't live without it.
    5. MXR Bass Distortion. Very versatile stomp-box. It can give just a bit of grit or it can be the poisonous beast. Rat in its best. Powerful and small.

GMC and emjazz like this.
  2. Yep, Mastotron for me too. It's only got that one sound...but it's a great sound with a OC2 in front of it.
    Plus a Dam Ezekiel very very versatile, OD through to crazy fuzz. It can sound very muff, OD or Rat like.
    Fairfield Barbershop...so transparent. I regularly swap out this and the Wampler Euphoria/Ecstasy.
    Joyo American Sound...so versatile but with a hefty golden tone which can't be dialled out (which I really like).
    Any Rat...mine is a MXR El Grande, tweaked so the internal pot is face mounted. But I sometimes swap out for a bass modded Expandora. It's basically a few rats cascaded but modded to work better with bass.

ukedealer likes this.
  3. IMG_20160911_131155_hdr. Austone Fuzz Nutz TexTone boutique take on the Fuzz Face. Meticulous build quality with a unique tone stack, mild to wild and a nice easy to control musical feedback, works great on bass and guitar no blend needed. Built by a dear friend that passed way too soon, proud to rock this pedal.

Fuzzrocious BDPG v1 and v2 meant to be a dirty pre, makes for a very potent overdrive with grunt,grind and punch.

Joyo California Sound singing smooth to full rectifier in flames, 3 band tone with a voice control makes this a very versatile drive at an amazing price.

AdrenaLinn III great amp Sims that love to be cranked plus an amazing set of beat synched modulation, delays plus reverb makes this a real winner in my book.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    taylor16 likes this.
  4. I've owned lots of dirt pedals but in the thrash band I was previously in and my current had rock / metal band I only used a few live.
    Devi ever Hyperion blended with ls2...
    For obvious reasons this pedal was over the top and lost bottom end so blending it it sounded ok... worked well for a cliff burton with Wah style sounding tone too. Got rid of it from the board when I sold the ls2 tho
    Ibanez pd7 - used in distortion mode and in overdrive mode when I got sick of the distortion mode after a while... still wish I had blended this somehow to become my always on tone with the overdrive. Haven't found anything that gets the deep bad boom this pedal had. Still have but replaced with
    Cog mini 66 - slight touch of blend, switches to full bass and medium treble and slight gain and this has become my always on tone... it's my natural bass tone coloured with low mids and punch and well yeah... it's always on.

Haven't used it live yet but aftershock has worked well for me at practices so far. Stacked mini 66 into the stock heavy (big muff) setting for an all out tone that was kind of cool. Need to experiment more but dare say have three tones in mind for three songs... one is hard rock so going for rat, one is stoner style so going with big muff and one is more thrash/punk so going for the dark glass engines.

Interesting to see how it all works out

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In no particular order:

1. Tech 21 VT---I use the Deluxe model, but the VT circuit, while not the most intuitive and easy-to-use distortion circuit ever made, will literally do any sound from clean to fuzz, with a whole lot of tonal variation.

2. MXR Bass Distortion---I love the Rat but always hated how thin it sounded with bass. Enter Fuzzrocious, whose CEO Ryan designed the MXR Bass D. It's basically a stripped down Cat Tail, with great bass response and an ingenious mod that allows you to switch between silicon diodes and LED's, giving you two different but amazing Rat-based sounds.

3. Smallsound/Bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine---Completely changed my opinion of germanium based fuzzes. I gave mine to a guitarist friend in Estonia because it was rather big and had gated fuzz, which I don't need at all, but I miss it sometimes. If they ever make a 1590b sized version without the gated fuzz, I'm there.

4. JohnK built and modded Greedtone OD clone---A great 2-knob OD that has a very ingenious mod...a 3-position switch that gives you the choice of full range or two different frequency cuts. One cut is like the SVT 810e's frequency response, the other is darker and more like a 70's B-15N with a CTS speaker. I call that position the Motowner. Every time I'm tempted to try a new OD, I plug into the Greedtone and I lose the desire to try something else.

5. Source Audio Aftershock---Most of the supplied engines are too dark, but some are not. And for $150, you get a pedal with tons of different engines digitally recreating some of the top pedals in the game, endlessly tweakable parameters, and programmability. It's not a perfect pedal, but it's pretty good, and it beats buying a new pedal every time you need a sound you don't have already.

6. My top five for live ATM are:
    Cog Knightfall
    Cog Grand Tarkin
    Zvex Mastotron
    Iron Ether Oxide
    (and a late addition to the list that I haven't actually used it live yet but you know when you just know ;) ) Joyo Orange Juice

emjazz likes this.
  7. And a special nod to previously owned pedals :
    Sovtek Green Muff (natch)
    Xotic BB
    Malekko B:assmaster
    DHA VT2 Twin EQ
    and last but by no means least: known as The Rat

8. madidus

madidus

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    ODs: Darkglass VMT, One Control Hooker's Green Bass Machine
    Distortion: Marshall Guv'nor II
    Fuzz: MI Audio Neo Fuzz, Way Huge Swollen Pickle

smo likes this.
  9. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    In no order
    1)Tech 22 VT Bass
    2)Pike Vulcan
    3)3Leaf You're Doom
    4)EQD Cloven Hoof
    5)Way Huge Saucy Box

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    How do you use the Cog Knightfall? As an overdrive? I just got one. Still trying to figure it out.

ukedealer likes this.
  11. 'Mainly' as an overdrive I guess yeh, but to be honest I switch things about a bit, so I DO use it as distortion too.. it pretty much works wherever I put it.
    I LOVE the Knightfall tho, LOVE everything Cog I've ever touched to be honest.
    What's your chain? How are you using it??

emjazz likes this.
  12. Can't pick a favorite because they are all great for different reasons.

Darkglass b7k ultra
    Darkglass duality fuzz
    Mxr bass distortion

Currently have both the darkglass pedals on the board. love them. Two different styles of dirt and they both retain lows very well. The mxr I think is fantastic as a distortion for soloing. Where I use the blend on the darkglass pedals and more so play meat and potatoes style stuff with them with the mxr my favorite sounds are actually when the dry knob is all the way down and I'm playing tasteless solos lol.

Driven Crane likes this.
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have it as my first effect pedal in my chain (mine is a custom single channel 66). Have it dialed in as a low drive. Sounds great with my P bass but having mixed results with my 6 string (my main bass...strung with tapewounds....). Have it for sale right now as I can't quite get it right with my main bass.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    ukedealer likes this.
  14. There we have it then, I'm only a measley 4 stringer ;)

emjazz likes this.
  15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hahaha....if I had roundwounds or flats and didn't use the piezo the Cog would sound great...just not the case.

ukedealer likes this.
  16. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Pedals that took essentially ZERO work to make sound good in a band setting-

SolidGoldFX Beta
    Dark glass Vintage Microtubes
    VT Bass DI
    Bearfoot Blueberry
    Stomp Under Foot Supa Dirty Rooster

17. The Knightfall before my latest addition : the Joyo Orange Juice sounds monumental!
    Seriously, like WOW

emjazz likes this.
  18. Yep. I think Michaels' work is criminally underrated outside Australia. His drives and fuzzes are worth your time. Whilst they're all focussed towards guitar, a few of them are outstanding for bass.

For LIVE work? Are we talking exclusively bass work or can I include guitar ones too?
    I run a guitar & bass board to cover both. My fave's over the years that can cover both instruments;

1. M.I. Audio Tubezone - easily my favourite, although it's tricky to dial it in.
    2. Fairfield Barbershop - best transparent drive for bass I've found.
    3. M.I. Audio Neo Fuzz is possibly my fave germ fuzz ever. Very flexible, works with any impedance.
    4. W&C Tall Font. Best. Muff. Ever. (on bass), but for guitar I'd pick a Tym's Big Mudd.
    5. Dunwich Volt Thrower. I love this thing for splatty over-the-top rat tones, but I wish it had a blend.

Honourable mentions;
    Earthbound Beast, Timmy, IE Oxide, Woolly Mammoth, VT Bass

emjazz and ukedealer like this.
  19. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Mine in no order, and I still haven't tried all the things that interest me that are out there...

TC Spark
    WH Pork Loin
    SS/BS Mini
    JohnK Civil War Big Muff
    SS/BS TAFM

emjazz likes this.
  20. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    VT Bass
    Pork Loin