Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your top 5 selling basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 8, 2005.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    If you could pick the 5 basses that a store would sell....what would they be.

Please pick and post your top 5.

Please keep in mind that this is a store that must "sell" basses to stay in business, so it can not be a Wal, Sadowsky or Roscoe shop per say. With that said, if you think that Ken Smith would be a big seller or say Modulus...then by all means, add it to your list.

2. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I know this is not 5 BASSES, but it's a bit of info based on what I see selling here and other places I deal with in Canada.

Definitely a few MM Stingrays with the option of getting an SUB to save some cash.
    As well, some Lakland Skylines. Any of them really, they sell really well here.
    Some cheaper Warwicks, but not necessarily the RockBasses. Thumbs and Corvettes.
    I would also suggest some Spectors. However, nothing past the Euro series.
    Finally, one must not go without a few Fenders in stock. Standards, Geddy Lee jazz, and an American or two.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Squier basses for n00bies
    Fender MIMs for easy sales
    Ibanez, anything
    Musicman
    Warwick

4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Fender (the market just never stops demanding these)
    Music Man (the market just never stops demanding these, either!)
    Yamaha
    Cort
    MTD (I must add one that I'm a genuine fan of!)

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Here are my top 5:

Music Man
    Fender
    Lakland
    Ken Smith
    Modulus

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    fender(mia, mim, mij jazz and p)
    music man(ray4+5, sterling, bongo, subs)
    ibanez(easiest crap to sell)
    warwick(expensive, but there is a market for it)
    yamaha

7. What about peavey? Those don't sell?

8. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    That was nice.

9. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Music man
    Warwick
    Fender and Squire
    Ibanez

hmmm... the last one is a tough one...
    probably yamaha because they would be easy to sell.

10. High-end bass shops stay in business, too. If you can make $1000 profit on a bass, you only need to sell a few a month.

11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I think I'd try a little mix of High end and affordable basses

1. Fender
    2. Ibanez
    3. Peavey
    4. Warwick
    5. Modulus

12. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

With all due respect, if you can tell me, a dealer, what bass I can make $1,000 on, I'll take you to dinner every night for a month. Of course dinner will be at Dunkin' Donuts which is where I eat every night.....but hey, it's still a free meal. :)

As an aside, if I sold anyone a bass and made that kind of profit, I couldn't sleep at night because I didn't give the player, a fellow bassist, a good enough deal.

Just for the record, my #1 selling bass line is MTD (that includes the imported basses, obviously), followed closely by Music Man and Fender........so you guys are doing a good job in your picks so far.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    For Australia, provided I actually wanted to make a living selling basses at decent prices, I would choose

Ibanez
    Yamaha
    Fender
    Musicman
    Warwick
    as these would be the ranges that I think would actually sell and not just gather dust.

It would be nice to add a smattering of brands at lower prices (some Samicks, Ashtons and Essex) and the top end (Belman, Sadowsky, Lakland, Peavey Cirrus) plus act as ordering agent/distributor for uncommon and unique instruments like Status. Yes, I know that wasn't your original intention, but I think even one or two more interesting/unusual basses and brands would bring other punters in for a look, and great customer service would make the sale even if that was only for an SR Ibanez.

The 5 listed above would account for 95% of turnover in my estimation.

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Fender
    Musicman
    Ibanez
    Warwick
    Lakland