Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Top Holiday Songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Each year at the holiday season I eagerly await the arrival of new Christmas or seasonal songs hoping someone will compose a great new "standard" but I can't remember the last time I really heard one that I wnated to hear again. Anyhoo, here is my list of favorite seasonal standards. What's yours?

Drummer Boy
    This Christmas
    Snowfall
    I'll Be Home for Christmas
    The Christams Song (Chestnuts roasting an open fore...)
    Silver bells
    Sleigh Ride
    Winter Wonderland
    Do They Know it's Christmas
    Let It Snow, let It Snow, Let It Snow
    Christmas Waltz

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You forget the Dr. Demento-type stuff: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer and such...

Seriously, since no one does movie musicals anymore, there isn't much of a market. How about "Feed the World (Do they Know it's Christmas)" and the other charity one.

And for my $$$, can't beat the Bowie/Crosby version of Drummer Boy, or Springsteen doing Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've always been a sucker for "Jingle Bell Rock". Don't ask me why. I'm also proud to say that I love all of Harry Connick Jr.'s Christmas albums. (And many of his non-christmas albums, too.)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love Jingle Bell Rock as well. In 2001 when I was teaching at a college in China we had a Christmas show for the whole college and I was the emcee. I started out by singing Jingle Bell Rock and they loved it.

I also like Little Drummer Boy (Jars of Clay has a great version of that); The Christmas Song (can't beat the original Mel Torme version); Oh Come, Let Us Adore Him (or is that called Oh Come All Ye Faithful...or am I mixing the two); We Three Kings...

brad cook

5. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Merry Christmas From The Family- Rober Earl Keen

Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)- John Lennon

6. I like what child is this and have yourself a merry little christmas, especially as a fretless bass solo, otherwise I also like oh christmas tree (the way ernest sings it) i also like winter wonderland and I'll be home for christmas
    Charlie

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Having had more time to think and also to hear more Christams music, I realize I forgot "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which is a wonderful standard. I also forgot "Christmas Time Is Here" and "I'll Have a Blue Christams without You" if it is sung slowly, but I don't like pepped up versions, especially the Presley version.

8. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    On a less traditonal note I like "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses.

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Run Rudolph Run - Keith Richards
    :D

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day

Slade - Merry Christmas Everyone

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    "It's like everyday is christmas" -Mu330

"Christmas must be tonight" -the Band

Mu330 really does make everyday seem like Christmas, their Christmas album is absolutely killer, I highly reccommend everyone getting it!!

The Band are consistently incredible songwriters. I'm not religious, but this song could make me, if I listened to it enough.

12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Wooo ..... nearly forgot my other all time favorite....
    "Fairytale of New York" - The Poques :bassist:

13. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Ahh... Eric Johnson- The First Noel.

14. The Dreidel Song!

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Christams Song (Chestnuts roasting an open fore...)
    Sleigh Ride
    This Christmas
    I'll Be Home for Christmas

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I also like a tune that a number of artists have recorded. I think it's called "A Grown Up Xmas List". Very eloquent lyrics.

17. Can't go wrong with "Jingle Bell Rock"...somebody already mentioned Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", which absolutely rocks. I'm also a big fan of a little-known Goo Goo Dolls song called "Do You Believe in Him?", which appeared only on some Xmas compilation CD (not any of their albums). And if you wanna get a little twisted, there's always Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"...great song, but hardly a standard :D

18. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    god rest ye merry gentlemen rocks, as does tubular bells.

19. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Greensleeves. Particularly the John Coltrane version. Another cool one to rock out on is Go Tell It On The Mountain.