1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Tuning Key - String Rotation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Sep 15, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    This could end up like the great toilet paper roll debate.

OK, when you place your strings end on your Tuning Key-peg, what rotation do you do, away to tighten, or towards you ? I ask due that I do away to tighten, towards to loosen.

One of my bass's were the opposite and was driving me nuts till I just re did it.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Depends on if they are reverse tuners or not. Usually it's counter clockwise for higher in pitch.

SirMjac28, MattZilla, whero and 2 others like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Tuners only work one way. If you've done it both ways on the same tuner you had it installed incorrectly one of those times.

MattZilla, gitfiddl, whero and 8 others like this.
  4. There is such thing as "reverse tuners" which came on some old Fenders. (Not sure about years and models.)

On most modern tuners, clockwise-loosen is the right way.
    On reverse tuners, clockwise-tighten is the right way.

5. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Well counter clock-ways would be away, on a right handed neck.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I know that. I own basses with reverse tuners.

Each tuner still only works one way. It is not optional which direction to put the strings on.

OP doesn't understand how to put strings on correctly.

7. I just re-read your previous post. I now understand what you were getting at.

8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Pics or it didn’t happen

SirMjac28 likes this.
  9. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Changed the dang strings allready

10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Look at pictures of any bass and see how the strings should wind. String it that way and turn the tuners which ever way works. Winding th other way looks weird and is asking for trouble.

Old Garage-Bander and Ekulati like this.
  11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I have no clue which direction to turn any of my turning keys, on bass or guitar, until I pick up the instrument and go to tune up.

I can’t imagine caring enough to buy the “right” kind of tuners. Just bring ‘em up to pitch and start playing.

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yet somehow we have HipShot, Schaller, Gotoh making wonderful products for the rest of us.

ArtechnikA likes this.
  13. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Don’t misunderstand me. I buy quality tuners. I just don’t care which direction they rotate in. And I’d never swap out a set of perfectly good ones just because of the direction of rotation.

Curtybob, 4dog and Willicious like this.
  14. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've never heard of reverse tuners, myself. They should be strung so that the string is as straight as possible from nut to tuning peg, regardless of direction.

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you for clarifying that. Now it makes total sense to me.:)

Picton likes this.
  16. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Since the original pre-CBS Kluson design (circa 1920) was employed first on a ton of early Fenders and Gibsons, that makes every "non-reverse" tuning machine since then the true "reverse rotation" tuner. :roflmao:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My tuners don't give me a choice.

Atshen, Willicious and Bassbeater like this.
  18. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    What part of what item is moving toward or away from you?

For right-handed basses, most tuning keys on the E/B-string side of the headstock (keys pointed toward the ceiling) turn counterclockwise to tighten the string / raise the pitch the string is producing. This counterclockwise turn of the key causes a counterclockwise rotation of the tuner shaft / peg when viewed from the string side of the headstock. If you put the end of the string in the hole that is in the middle of the slot in the tuner shaft / peg of these tuners, and put a couple wraps around the shaft by hand, the string wraps around the shaft in a clockwise direction.

On right-handed basses, most tuning keys on the G/C- string side of the headstock (keys pointed toward the floor) also turn counterclockwise to tighten the string tension / raise the pitch the string is producing. This counterclockwise turn of the key causes a clockwise rotation of the tuner shaft / peg when viewed from the string side of the headstock.

If you put the end of the string in the hole that is in the middle of the slot in the tuner shaft / peg of these tuners and put a couple wraps around the shaft by hand, the string wraps around the shaft in a counterclockwise direction.

There are exceptions to the info above with Kluson type tuners, basses with slotted headstocks, basses with reverse shaped headstocks, etc.

IMG_0119.JPG

19. ECFF88FC-72A8-4A57-9411-2369B8CE9DC5.

my mind just can’t process this.

Baa, Frank77, TWood97 and 11 others like this.
  20. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    That looks strung incorrectly only the A string looks right