Your Ultimate amp rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    this hasn't been done for a while, so here goes.

Conklin GT-7 Fretted 7 string, refitted with RMC synth pickups
    Conklin Custom 'Ultimelt' Fretless 7 string, RMC synth
    Conklin Custom fretted 7 string, tuned from F#

-some sort of switching unit to go from all my basses to my preamps without unplugging
    -Korg rack tuner
    -Ampeg SVP-PRO for distortionier sounds
    -Aguilar DB680
    -QSC PLX 3002 power amp

-Accugroove El Whappo
    -Accugroove Whappo Grande

Roland GR-33 guitar synth unit
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    as i have raved about in another thread, my dream rig is my new rig-
    EBS Classic pre
    Crown ce2000 amplifier
    Bergantino 322 cab
    and pretty, too!!.. don't you think?
  3. Zoom

Mar 31, 2002
    Very Spiffy!
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amp righ? Shoot, I'm almost sitting on it...

Eden Pre
    2 D-410XLTs
    1000 watts of power.

For the dream rig? Add a Demeter preamp and a SWR IOD for some variety, and maybe an Eden D-118XLT for giggles. Other than that, I'm pretty much set.
  5. For me?

Demeter VTBP-201
    Rane PE-15 or PE-17
    Stewart World 1.2
    Euphonic Audio 1x12

So far, I have the Demeter, a Crest Vs900 (very heavy!) and an Audio Centron PA speaker.
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Demeter VTBP-201s

Kern IP-777

w/ a pair of Demeter VTHF-300M power amps

that each run a pair of Wayne Jones 2x10s for a total of 4 cabs.

Ooooooooo, juicy!
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thats a great rig!
    What do you think of the EBS pre? How much did you pay for it?
  9. Here's my REALISTIC dream rig, although the peavey 410s might get replaced by peavey 412s
    (I already have the stuff in the red boxes)

My real dream rig would be the same except that the cabs would have be replaced by 2 2Ohm EBS-412 cabs and the poweramp with a QSC PLX 1602. Furthermore I would also want a few other basses although changing pickups and electronics to Bartolini or EMG would also be good enough.

A lightweight version would be to leave away the poweramp and cabs and use an EBS AC-311 active cab.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I pretty much have my dream rig.. but my digital camera broke and I'm still waiting on one more crucial part.. but here goes anyway

Elrick 5-string Gld Std (check)

amps preamps etc.:
    carvin dcm1500 (check)
    Furman power conditioner (check)
    SWR IOD preamp (waiting)
    Ampeg BXT410HL (check)
  11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    My bass preference changes with the situation, but if I was forced to pick just 1 it'd be my G&L JB-2 fretless.

For my rig, I have what I want so GAS is in remission in that area. :)

(Alesis NanoCompressor; Eden WT-400; 2-Aguilar GS112; Boss TU-2 tuner.)
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

always good to see another Elrick 5 player. :D
  13. OK Joker now you've done it. I've got GAS pains again....
    Which is your favorite preamp? The Demeter looks nice and so does the Kern and Aggies. Lots of EBS fans too. I think I might try a QSC 2402 or 3002 for an amp, but I don't know which pre amp yet.
  14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Man- the Demeter and the Kern were contenders when i was putting my rig togeteher- but if im not mistaken, they both have tubes- and while they sound great, i hate to lug a tube pre around- for maintenance reasons. Thus the EBS. No compromise on sound- the EBS sounds DEADLY!
  15. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I think I pretty much have my ultimate amp rig.

Ampeg SVT-4PRO
    Mesa/Boogie Road Ready 4x10

Maybe I'd add another RR 410 in there though.
  16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    lo-end , you're pretty!:D
  17. Adrian,
    Thanks for the post. Pre tubes last "forever" if you take care of your equipment, unless there are some mishaps that occur. I've been strictly a tube-amp-nut for sometime now, and the only reason I'm thinking of a solid state amp and pre setup is for my new Bergie 212 which seem to need more power than my Mesa 400+ will put out. I always wanted a alternate rig anyway. I've just got to have a glass valve in there somewhere. Just me. But I did ask. Thanks.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like someone once told me, i'm the "FunkyCarnivore" of amps... :D :D

seriously, tho, i'm actually still leanin' a bit more towards the Demeter only cause its alot brighter than the Kern and fits my style better. not nearly as fat (i dont think anything is!), but still complex and sweet. with everything flat, i just plug in and go. i can safely say, its my live sound. the only problem is the lifeless EQ. turning the knobs yields very little. usually, i'm just flipping the deep and bright switches, along with the presense knob. if you've got a great onboard EQ, you shouldnt have a prob, tho.

But, the Kern has got that delicious and corpulent fat flava. with 3 tubes, aint no joke. someone said its like an Alembic F-1X crossed with an Aguilar DB659. its like swimming in it. its also easier to dial in a punchier flava cause the EQ is a little more reactive than the Dem. with the Deep switch on, the treb @ 12:00, mids @ 2:00 or 3:00, bass @ 10:00 or 11:00, its nice mid gut wallop.

The Aguilar's my swiss army knife for recording, so i'd be hard pressed to let it go. punchier to the nth degree with its parametric. like an angry but disciplined ampeg that'll heed your every parametric command. so nice. not as corpulent as the Kern, but still has just the right amount of tubey fatness with modern hifi.

btw, i was just playing thru all three today using my Bergie HT112 and Peavey DPC1400x power amp.

its funny you bring up the QSC's, cause i've really been diggin' their power amps. we've been using the 3002 in the rehearsal hall for the pa, and occassionally i'll swap it out my Stew for it. and i like its feel. i know pa's arent supposed to have a voice, but you can sorta tell after a while. maybe its just me, but the QSC PLX3002 we use is a little on the burnished, but still punchie side. my Stew in comparison is much more stringent and tight.

i dunno, i'm weird. i really need to get out of the studio more... :rolleyes: :D
  19. Interesting, Joker. I got a VTBP-201 a few weeks ago and I find that, for me, the bass and trebble controls have plenty of range, although the mid control does almost nothing.
  20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, then, my back reminded me why I really don't want a big heavy amp.

I started to rethink my rig back in February, and I picked up two Aguilar GS112s. I was going smaller, and more portable. For some unknown reason, I picked up an Aguilar DB750---which kinda blew the whole "light rig" idea. It sounds amazing, but my main gig is playing jump blues in a restaurant, and it simply doesn't make sense to bring a 70 lb rack (Top O' the line SKB rack with Alembic SF-2, Korg Dt-2, Rack Rider Power Conditioner, and DB750) to push a single 1x12 cab.

So, I sold the Aggie, and I'm now waiting for the new Clarus IIR to become available. I'll be much happier with an amp that weighs 6 1/2 lbs.

If I get more pickup gigs, I've still got my rack with the Alembic SF-2 driving the poweramp section of my Carvin R600 for any time the Clarus isn't loud enough. But, from what I've read here, if I put enough speakers behind the Clarus, it'll be plenty loud.

I do love the sound of the Aggie, though, so I will probably buy the DB659 down the road for the rack, and eventually replace the Carvin with a nice light poweramp.

That way, I'll have the best of both Solid state, and tube amps. :D

I guess it's time to change my avatar.....