Your ultimate DB rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 19, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i want to know what your ultimate DB rig would be?

Mine would have to be a WW 1200watt head with either a EA VL210 or a Accugroove 2x12:D
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Same head, but with my three VL-208's. :D

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    The 1920-ish Otto Rubner bass that belongs to an acquaintance, and the keys to the main stage at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center.
  4. I've got my ideal rig. A Barbera transducer bridge into a GK MB150E112 combo with Bag End 1x12 extension cab. For country or rockabilly gigs I'll take my other ideal rig, an Eden WT400 head and SWR 4x8 cab.:D
  5. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    SWR makes a 4x8 cab?
  6. My ideal rig would be a drum with small shells and tiny cymbals, a piano with a crap amplifier that doesn't do bass and hey, I should then be able to hear myself and all the other clowns too!

Another great rig would be Roy Haynes and Joey Calderazzo say, but sometimes you gotta get real.

But why is that high price amps don't come with the ability to hear yourself? One guy said he put an AI contra on a chair to be nearer the ears and as one wag put it, your ears arn't near the floor. However, to get real bass from something small it's best on the deck. Many is the time when everyone says the bass level is right but I can't hear the darn thing. Surely, any amp should conisder the player as well as the audience and the rest of the band.

My ideal pickup is the SD Systems HCL100 mic on my bass. It clips to the bridge, the top of the bass giving the best sound with none of the boominess of mics over the f hole. It claims to be flat down to 20 hz. It has its own pre-amp.
  7. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    SWR did make a 4x8, but it was discontinued quite some time ago.
  8. The SWR 4x8 is long discontinued, but is a fantastic cab for DB players playing in louder situations. Not only does it sound very natural, but has more "throw" than any cab I've ever used. They can still be had on the used market. Ampeg makes one currently, and that is a great cab too, but I've only heard it with BG.
  9. JonB

May 27, 2003
    Actually, Ampeg discontinued their 4X8 cab some time ago. I just checked their web site, and there is no mention of a 4X8, unless this is a recent development.
    I tried using the Ampeg with upright and found it worked well with big bands, but was usually too boomy (IMO) for general use. Stuffing it with fiberfill helped some. It sounds great with BG.
    (It's for me!);)
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On the other hand, a lot depends on what you do with the amp once you have it. For my straight-ahead rig (which can be seen Here ), I use two seperate cabs: an EA VL208, which gives off the main body of the sound, and a VL108 (a smaller cab about the size of a lunchbox) which I use as a personal monitor. The setup goes as follows:

* On a chair, I set the 208 on the seat, then put my (small) amp rack on top of it. This sets between myself and the drummer, and the placement can be varied depending on who wants to hear how much of what. Next, I set the 108 on top of the rack, tilt it back, and point it at my left ear. How close I sit to it will determine how loud I hear myself in relation to the overall level of the rest of the band, and at this point, my only excuse for poor intonation is poor technique.

Yes, it's kinda complicated, but it works for me. :)
  11. Thanks a lot for this Chris Fits-loadsamoney-into-a-tiny-space. It sort of crystalises my thinking - you have to think of the whole system and expense even if the manufacturers don't. One 'ideal' set-up I plan to build is using open 'di-pole' speakers (ie: not in an enclosure just like lead guitar). To explore the subject if anyone is interested start at These speakers can produce hi fi definition. They aint going to do hi power or ultra low bass but will do 40 hz OK. The advantages I saw, apart from the quality of sound, is there is an area of cancellation parralel to the speaker so less feedback. Also the speaker needs to be away from the wall you can never find when you need it to give that bottom end boost. And you get the output from the rear to hear along with your pal the drummer. Chris's option is much mcuh better but I'm trying to be cheap. Boy can I be cheap!
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As NARC LLORD likes to point out, you might not have to spend $$$ to improve your system - you could spend $$, or maybe even only $ if you're lucky. The only thing that really sets my straight-ahead DB rig apart from a normal rig is the extra 1x8 speaker on the top. If you go with EA stuff, that can be expensive, but before I had that cab I used a single Falk Audio 1x8 cab as a monitor on top of the regular rig, and the Falk Cab can be had for around $130 here in the states (a 1x10 by the same guy would cost you only around $180 brand new). Maybe that's not dirt cheap, but you shouldn't have to sell any of your kids or mortgage your house to get a monitor either...
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And there really are some deals to be had on used EA gear, so keep that in mind. Plus, on the new side, the Wizzy 1x12 really does compare favorably to the VL-208, and its new price is far less, so it may be worth checking out.

14. Thanks for the input Chris 'n tom. I get the picture that EA products are the biz and although available in the UK, I aint heard anyone using them. I've heard AI as an audience member and didn't notice anything special. I know a shop that sells both and its worth the drive. What Chris said about boominess and EQing is spot on. But HiFi buffs claim that a dipole speaker away from a wall is less prone to this. The front wave is out of phase with the rear wave they cancel eachother out and emit sound in a figure of 8. But you have to apply care EQing and careful design of circuitry to tame it all. Good idea or a bummer - well it wont cost much to find out. The cost of those speakers you mention though does call into question making the effort in the first place. Putting a high volume speaker out of the way of the bass body and having a monitor at ear level seems a better idea to me than pointing the speaker at the floor, which may be wood, carpet concrete or ...
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use EA cabs!! I bought two VL208s and they are great! I get loads of compliments about the sound!

But I haven't seen any DB players using them - although the great Jazz BG player Laurence Cottle used them at a few gigs I went to - he was playing in a straight-ahead Jazz line up - sax piano drums - but I saw him recently and he has switched to EBS.