Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Unmarked Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, May 23, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have three basses, and not one of them has a marking on the knobs so I can quickly look down and see where they are set. Am I nuts, or does this bother some of you other people? I know that most builder do it so it doesn't take away the look of the top wood or other finish, but a little white dot on each knob would help for quick reference. I find myself moving each knob back to the middle notch and then to where I want it set.

I'm thinking of placing a small dot of white paint on each knob to see how it goes. I think I'll use removable paint first in case I don't like it.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That paint that they use for writing on t-shirts would work well here. You know, that rubbery thick stuff in the squeeze bottles, just a tiny dab would work great. I personally don't judge too much by the pointers on my jazz, and my other two basses have plain metal knobs. I just got used to it, I guess. But the dots are a good idea, I think.

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I dont' find that it bothers me. I have owned basses both ways, and I guess I have never even noticed it as an issue. For me, it's all in the ears, It doesn't matter where the knobs are as long as it sounds good!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use the set screw on the knobs as a visual indicator. I set it so it is just out of view when the knob is full on. I find this leaves the screw in view for most of the travel. Works for me!

5. amused2KAOS

amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    i dont care for knobs with markers cuz i ussually know exactly where my knobs are set at (i know my j bass has markers but i ussually have it at tone and brigde volume all the way up unless i change something). i dont care if my bass has markers and if it doesnt then i keep it that way. i dont go " yes siree, during this song i absolutely must play with my brigde at 4, my neck at 8 and my tone at 75-85% or it tottaly throws off the song, and right before my bass solo i have the drummer to some weird fill while i quickly change my settings to brigde=7, neck=15-17% (i prefer 17%) and my tone at just below all the way up". but to each his own. if you feel it necassery to put on markers then you can put on some paint to mark it. there is no right or wrong thing you can do to a bass (accept smash it on a flimsy stage 100 feet off the ground, and trust me im speaking from personal experience...)

oh, and trevorus, thats the fourth time your avatar has synced up to the song im lisenin to :ninja:

6. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have a Fender, with the standard lined knobs.

However, I don't need the lines to know what's going on - I can do it by feel and sound.

That actually sounds like what I say about playing fretless basses :) . In fact, I'm having a fretless built, and I'm probably going to get unlined/undotted knobs to go with the unlined fingerboard.

7. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    I just turn everything up anyway, so it doesnt bother me.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just put some tape on unmarked knobs.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My knobs need slightly different settings for each different stage each different gig. I don't rely on visuals, I use my ears and tweak for the sound.

I don't look at my fretboard when I play, either. I play by feel and ear. I could care less whether I had fretboard dot markers . . .

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I never minded before, but now that both of my basses have the o'clock line, I don't know how I got by without them. Center detents are really helpful as well (thanks Ken Smith).

11. wow thats an awesome idea! thanks man

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ditto! [​IMG]

13. I don't use my knobs. They are all full on all the time. So it doesn't really matter.

14. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I changed the two chrome unmarked pup knobs that came on my miller to match the lined treb&bass knobs. I did it mostly for looks as I still can't believe fender felt in necessary to have different color knobs for the split function. If it bugs you change out the knobs, it only cost about 5 or 10 bucks. I use the lines for pup volume reference, the bass&treb I try to leave set at one spot. This way when I shut it down to passive I get an ear soothing drop in boost for different music. :)

15. It bothers me not to have marks on the knobs. I'm not much of a knob twiddler by any means, but it's definately helpful to be able to glance and see what the settings are. If necessary I use the set screw on the knobs, but it's not really ideal since you can only see it in some positions and it's hard to see in dim light (at least with black knobs).

Mike

16. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    On my Ibanez with 5 knobs, I replaced them all with knobs from Radio Shack. Most of the Radio Shack knobs were pretty ugly, but I found some little black ones I liked. On a Squier I had, I used paint to make a little mark.

Music stores sell knobs too. Be sure to get the right kind - some have a "set screw", and some are push-on.

17. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    My Yamaha TRB4 has a rather nice clear plastic thing with gold lettering (to match the hardware) that clips between the knobs. The first thing I did was wrench it off and chuck it away, which I soon regretted (not because I couldn't remember what the knobs were, obviously, just "because"). Fortunately I found it again and it's back where it belongs.

None of my other basses are marked, but it's not a big deal.

What would be a big deal, though, is these IBM Model M keyboards that I use for my computers: the keytops clip on, so it would seriously bugger someone's head up if you nicked them all, or swapped them around or something. That's one place I do need markings.

Edit: I realise I just missed the point completely. Oh well, not exactly a first for me. :D

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I actually prefer regular dome knobs. I don't need any markings, I just need a good solid knob that feels alright. The ears tell me where they're at.

19. The point is, at a gig it's good to be able to glance and the knobs and know what it's going to sound like before you play it...

Mike

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Thank you. And no. I don't just turn all the knobs up to ten. They are there so you don't have to set them to one possition. Different sounds for different songs. Not every song, but when it is appropriate.