Your very first bass that you'll never sell? Show me them!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Betrayer_Bass, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I still have my very first bass, a great playing (crap sounding) Washburn Taurus T12. I'll never sell it as I bought it from a very good friend of mine and it's worth about $50.

Here it is!
    IMG_20120309_173349.jpg

Show me yours! And tell me why you'll never sell it.

2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    [​IMG]

The 2nd from the left - a Carlo Robelli USB895. The very first bass that was mine - my dad gave it to me for Christmas in 2001 - after playing my dad's modified '76 Jazz (far left) for two years. The Robelli now has a neck warped beyond belief, and the '76 J is in a state of limbo.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Sorry no pic, but my first bass was a 1987 Fender Jazz Bass Special. Still have it and gig with it.

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    '07 Geddy Lee Jazz. Bought it because I wanted the inlays and binding and fender name. Dork. A bunch of the paint (shell) has since been chipped off and shows off the maple-veneered alder underneath and the pickguard has been lost. Right now it has extra light strings so the kid (she's 10) can jam with me. I know that as soon as I sell it I'll get invited to join some rnb, blues or dance group (or anything where my angry, dubby eb3 would be less appropriate) and need to buy another, so with me it stays.

5. My ESP/LTD B404SM. When I first bought it, I thought it was the most amazing bass in the world. Of course my opinion has changed on that, but it still holds a special place in my heart. Was the first bass I ever bought with my own money. I'd eventually like to get new pickups, bridge, and tuners for it. Wouldn't say the hardware is the best, but damn does it ever play nice, with really low action. Picture really doesn't do the spault maple justice.

100_1506.jpg 100_1510.jpg

Outtaseezun likes this.
  6. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine was this MIJ Fender Precision A/E.

Fender+P-Bass+004.jpg

Outtaseezun likes this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I've already sold it - many times.

8. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    A Kingston, restrung left-handed. Bought it new in 1976, still have it.

DSCN4620A_zps9535493a.jpg

9. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    I learned to play on this bass and I still use it today!!! Records as well as any bass I own!

Attached Files:

Outtaseezun likes this.
  10. I think there was another thread very recently on this same topic but here is my first bass that I still own. I'm the original owner.

Rick B.

MosriteVerticle.jpg

11. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    That is one hell of a good looking first bass! Keep it forever!

12. Didn't sell my first bass....I gave it away (1998 MIM Fender Jazz).

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here is my very first bass. It's a Lotus, but apparently an attempt at making a higher-end model. It is made from one piece of wood (neck and body). I've replaced the electronics and had Phil Maneri do some work on the bass, and it plays and sounds great!

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

14. "Technically", my first bass was a Harmony P Copy (in a Roger Waters aesthetic). It was a gift on my 15th birthday, from my Uncle.

2 years later, when i was 17, after saving a few months from my part-time jobs as a Karate instructor and a Pet's'Mart employee; I bought my first bass, a '95 Ibanez ATK300. I passed the Harmony P to another cousin, so, i consider the ATK my real first bass... and i stiiiiiiill have it!

atk1.jpg

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    1962 Shell Pink Fender Jazz Bass, with case, 50 year old case candy, and original owner/band provenance!
    Thanks to some TB members I've also now got some priceless first hand stories from its original owner that otherwise would never have been known to me.

Bought: 2/15/12
    Price: $100.00
    Valued: Priceless (to me)!
    Plans: Play it, until I can't play it no more, then pass it on to family.

3u9atury.jpg 7a8u3u2u.jpg evypuzyt.jpg 2y8etenu.jpg ugu6yvuj.jpg

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! :eek: That is amazing! :eek: :eek:

17. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Ahh, don't let the pictures fool you, she's quite ugly close up. :)

yqehu2az.jpg za4usyry.jpg ge2amuta.jpg

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yeah, you're right...

I'll give you that $100 for it, and heck, I'll even pick up the shipping! :D

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    That's mighty generous of you!

Considering its used though, I hardly think the full $100 is worth it, and I just couldn't (in good conscience) do that.

I've had it about a year and a half now, so I'm sure it's depreciated from its original sale price since then.
    :)

20. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    That shell pink is a beauty.

Not my first but might as well be. My first was a Kay crapola bass replaced after 2 months with a Squier Bullet bass which was replaced after 2 years with this '78 P fretless that I still use as my main bass for the last 30 years (though it's been heavily modded over time)...
    9233207215_efa3466f79_c.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021