Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Views on the future of NASA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Ground the shuttles we don’t need to be in space.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Use more unmanned spacecraft

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Build another one and continue as is.

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Build two more, on to Mars!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. NASA with International support, On to Mars.

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    I believe we should get together with Russia, the European Union, and China to produce a international Mars mission.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Sounds good, and that was my vote! However, I reckon bureaucracy will get in the way - everyone wanting to be the most important player! Time will tell!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"We"!!! :confused: I am in the European Union!

4. Why be pedantic about it? I think its obvious that he's American (clue: his location says Indiana), so therefore its obvious what he means.

I agree with you and Jonny, by the way. But I just cant see it happening.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    When you go, take PD with you. And don't bring him back.

The US isn't though. When he said 'we', I assume he was talking about the US :p

6. Bruce Lindfield

It's not pedantic - large numbers of people who post here are from Europe, Canada, Australia, and elsewhere! I find it very irritating that we always have this assumption that "we" are somehow in the US - "we" are not!! :mad:

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't see any use in a Mars mission right now.
    It's mostly a prestige thing without much scientific use, compared to the ISS program or the orbital shuttle missions.

New shuttles might be needed, with some major modernisations (mind you, it's still 70s technology for the most part).

But a mars mission is probably a "money burner" that nobody can afford right now.

P.S.: On a strange coincidence my favorite band right now is 30 seconds to mars :p

8. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    To all international posters I apologize for the American-centric language in my post advocating an Joint International Mission to Mars. It was inappropriate and nonpolitically correct behavior by me.

:eek:

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Like I said, to take PD and leave him there! :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

Why, thank y'all for the apology!! ;)

11. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    That’s what was said about the International Space Station at one time. It is most likely other nations will let American $$$$ be the most important player. As the richest country that is to be expected, but it doesn't mean outer countries support will not be critical to the success of the mission. Russia has been advocating this project for the last couple years, China is eager to develop its manned space program. The EU has been active in space.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

The ISS is one thing, lets see how that pans out! A mission to Mars is something quite different! Let's just say I ain't gonna hold my breath on that one!

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Nah......won't work ....... unless there's oil out there.... :eek:

Runs for cover........

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How 'bout we spend the next 50 or so years just working on making trips to the satellites reliable, then start thinking about going further. Even thinking about a "Mission to Mars" is IMO way way wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy premature.

15. Bruce Lindfield

How about - unless there's oil and a dictator of a different religious persuasion (Martian?) holding on to it? ;)

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think before anything good can happen, we all need to take our heads out of our posteriors (meaning the world collectively). the US as well as everyone else spends so much money on national defense that there is no money to spend on what matters---forging ahead, expanding our minds and exploring space. its the last frontier...i don't know...maybe my ideal view of the world is unrealistic and maybe a little utopian :D but as a sailor in the us navy having to go to sea doing deterrent patrols on SSBN's because people can't resolve their retarded ass differences is beginning to get a little tiring. and it's only been like this for, ummm.....forever? jeez...i could go on all day.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Space Exploration will continue. Manned, more than likely. It's just human nature. Our curiosity will take us there.

Whether or not we group with other nations, we probably will. Here and there though. We can see how difficult it is to agree on ousting Hussein, imagine how tricky it would be to negotiate who raises the money, how it's spent, who goes on board, who gets CREDIT, what kind of camera to use...etc.

I just hope we continue. The pictures coming off the Hubble telescope now...We gotta, it's beckoning, almost hypnotic.

When I look at the pictures of planets, star clusters, nebula, etc. I wanna be on the next flight!

18. It seems like the latest tragedy might restructure the future a bit. Maybe a new system of traveling into space, and a new way of returning. Maybe slower in both directions. Maybe a railgun to launch? Or take the vessel up to very high altitudes while piggybacked on an airborne platform of some sort...then allowed to achieve escape velocity on it's own. Then perhaps a very slow decent....using some sort of balloon style device to make the decent back very vertical and slow. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen to strap people to tons and tons of explosives, then make them return in a huge ball of fire. This is pretty much what happens guys. It's amazing, all the research / engineering that's gone into the current systems used. They've worked very well, but the last two tragedys (one during launch, one during return) probably make questions roll about.

I'd think we (The world ya'll) should explore as deep and far as possible. Maybe a known one-way trip is in the future, start your career while training/maturing on a space station knowing that you'll be traveling for 40-50 years some day. Just transmit data back to home base...etc. Why just stop at mars? We know there is tons more out there, if you limit your thinking...you limit yourself.

That's kinda what's been happening, started with these grand plans of getting to the moon. We (the world) got there, and that was the extent of the plans. So...woopie, reached the goal....guess it's time to launch a bunch of satillites and start polluting the area around earth with trash and weapons. Time to do more. Moon base anyone?

Set a goal to get to Saturn, then go on to find some hot loose Jupiter women :D

19. And I bet if we start a rumor that inhabitants of Neptune have said something to the effect of "My dad can beat up your dad", that we'd be there in a couple years and say "Nuh uh!"

20. I definately think we should start trying to get more into space, though there are some definate problems. Aside from the logistics, there is also the problem of how to get that far etc.

Still...if we don't join together, we won't get there.

I definately think more money should be put into the space program. Right now, a lot of the funding is coming from private companies; A $40 million Mars rover is being developed with half of it coming from corporations. It will probably end up that the rover will be plastered with logos like a racecar. Maybe this'll get the Martian bacteria to invest in Husky or McDonalds.

Besides, Columbia was over 20 years old. We don't even have fighters that old.