1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

your vote for all around most...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by biff malibu, Apr 21, 2006.

1. versatile bass that can be taken into ANY situation and at least work, to some degree yet maybe not be the "best" in all situations.

for instance: what bass could at least be passable in kylie minogue's band, stone temple pilots, sheryl crow, and 311?

note what bass with what strings you vote for, provide as much detail in your answer you would like.

2. i would agree with that, except i would like active electronics for the options of tone shaping,direct sound, etc..

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A J-bass with single coils and a bypassable onboard preamp covers everything other than 311. With such a diverse range of music being played now, there is no bass that can truly do it all ... but a great J-bass is as close as you'll come.

The dual humbucker Stingray is another bass that will cover 90% of styles.

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sadowsky Metro MS5

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Any decent fretted, 5-string bass with dual pickups can cover almost everything.

If I had two choices, I would run with a Sadowsky and a good Fender Jazz.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    j-bass

-jimbo

7. A good hot J bass would do it for me...

Having said that...that Fretted/Fretless bass with an active/passive switch would be good to have...:bag:

8. I'd like to think my Warwick can do it all. Yes, mine is passive, but that doesn't mean it isn't versatile. A good tone is a good tone in any kind of music. Yes, you may have to tweak your amp EQ a bit, but that's what it's for, right?
    I've definitely seen 'Wicks being played in all those different types of music, so I think it's possible.
    -Alex

9. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    j bass.

10. Surprised that noone has mentioned a Bongo!

-Ryan.

11. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Passive ... a PJ (mine is a Spector NS-4)

Active ... Ibanez ATK-USA ... series, parallel, and single coil switch on a triple coil pickup with 3 band eq.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Jaguar (jazz bass with active/passive + series parallel switch) :D

13. A good quality, passive Jazz Bass or clone will handle it.

14. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As said many times already, a good J or J-clone.

There's a reason that the J has been the standard for this many years, and it's the reason any working player always has one on hand ....... :cool:

15. Spector made a passive PJ?
    -Alex

16. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Mine was changed to passive ... I'm not into the EMG sound ... the pickups and wiring harness are from here ...

http://www.has-sound.com/

17. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I actually prefer non-jazz sounds, so my choice would be my Ken Lawrence Brase 5. Fingerstyle and slap sound to die for, great tone, and quite tweakable. It sure doesn't hurt that it is the most comfortable of my basses, either. BTW - my others are: MTD 535, Sadowsky 5-24, and Lakland 55-94.

Dan K.

18. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If I had to have one bass for the rest of my life not knowing what playing situation I'd be in, I'd pick a J-Bass, although I haven't owned one in years.

Actually, if I could have my Eden Amp head, I'd take any bass with a good neck and good action.

19. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    My first instinct is to say Line 6 Variax, that or a good solid Jazz.

20. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I played a Variax, but just through a normal amp i dont think you can get that close to those sounds advertised on their site, im pretty sure you will need a bass pod and possibly a line 6 amp, As for the bass itself i thought it wasent that bad, but ive played basses that were more comfortable and felt better