1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your weaknesses?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Arcadia Divine, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Arcadia Divine

Arcadia Divine

Jun 27, 2013
    What are your weaknesses in relation to the music making process, including performance? I'm curious to know because we all have weaknesses and I truely believe that knowing your weaknesses in anything is the first in a series of long steps in being not only a better bassist but musician in general (or in anything really). I know my weaknesses but do you know yours?

I also asked this question to victor wooten and I love his response, even though I didn't understand it at first. He said working on weaknesses is the best and quickest way to improve and he plans on improving on all areas of life.

2. Cookye

Cookye Supporting Member

For me it's timing......I work like a mad person trying to get a grip on it.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i noticed that i look at the fretboard way to much unless i'm playing really simple basslines, and the fact that i tend to play too loud for the band, because i start really digging in live

4. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Sep 30, 2012
    west Texas
    Inspiration lately.....but on the technical side it's probably singing and playing simultaneously even though I've been a lead singer/bass player in the past. Its still on a" song by song" basis.

5. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    looking at the fretboard as well and not knowing theory like i should.

6. I didn't know Anthony has taken on so many different usernames:rolleyes:

7. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    Theory. But i'm starting to learn it.

8. Improvising

My theory is ok but applying it is my weakness

I play safe and my music and sound is introverted because of this

I work hard in practice and am diligent on study but my weakness is I am not extroverted as a player...I believe some people are naturally extroverted in their playing and their music ebbs and flows like magic because of this ...

Rossa

9. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    yo Arcadia,

I have weaknesses in every areas so I work on everything. I'm very happy with my playing. I've never been unhappy with it. I've also never been in a rut. I'm a 'practicing' musician, I always have been so I continually get better.

I'm not the player I aspire to be but I'm also better than the player i was last year.

I'm able to say that every year.

peace,
    anthony