1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your worst 5 pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Tell us...

2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    you first ;)

not in any order:
    1 ehx bass big muff
    2 dod fx20 phaser
    3 noisemaker effects arcade
    4 sansamp bass driver di
    5 mxr bass fuzz deluxe

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Bass big muff and anything else EHX. They do not make good bass pedals.

LouieV2, Gearhead17, 10cc and 4 others like this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, I only own 6 pedals, if you count Zoom B3 as one and count my volume and line selector among them as well.

Of the ones I do own it got to be Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, it's admittedly pretty awful, even if it works decently as noise/feedback pedal and really shines placed in front of my EHX Tube Zipper (which is partly defect and really only functions as a fuzz pedal, although a great fuzz pedal), making the Tube Zipper go berserk, in the nicest possible sense of the word, whenever engaged (think deep creamy over the top and out of control fuzz).

Of other pedals that I have owned in that past, and those are numerous, I can really only think of two truly horrible ones that was not capable of producing one single useful sound.
    And that was respectively an old digital Zoom guitar multi effect unit from the mid 90's and a similar bass one.

Those made every thing, at all settings, sound fake, like wrapping the sound in some sort of digitally emulated plastic, whenever engaged.

Now you might think this could be a cool effect in some situations, I ensure you it was not though!

Fortunately Zoom has oped their game considerably in recent years, and today they make some of the nicest sounding digital multi effect units at their price tag (and a bit above for that matter, like I personally prefer them over Boss).

5. No such thing.

knumbskull likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm genuinely surprised to see the Tech 21 BDDI in a list of worst 5 pedals - I only buy and own pedals I like and the BDDI is actually one of them. :)

Geddaric, MYLOWFREQ, MDBass and 7 others like this.
  7. It seems most clones of the Foxx Tone Machine are RF interference noise makers compared to the original. Only exception I've heard is the Way Huge Screaming Moose, which is discontinued and now going for around $500 on eBay.

I even had a pedal tech with a degree in electronic engineering re-package a Danelectro French Toast for me, same concept and components, and it's still too noisy to be useful. I'd love to know what Way Huge did to make theirs sound so incredible.

8. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    1. Pigtronix Philosopher's King - totally useless with bass. On the other hand - their EP-2 Envelope Phaser was one of the best phasers i have ever had.
    2. EHX Bass Blogger. I could not get no useful tone from it. Totally useless. Two times i have had it for years.
    3. EHX Bass Big Muff. Totally neutral. On the other hand - EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe i still have in my board - and it is very different from EHX BBM. Much more versatile but it has not enough for headroom.
    4. TC Electronic Hall of Fame. After having of Wet Neunaber Stereo Reverberator, HoF just sounds like garbage. On the other hand - Flashback, Corona and Vortex - are very good sounding pedals and i still use Vortex Flanger together with my Strymon Mobius.
    5. MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. Same as EHX BBM - it was too neutral and its biggest problem is a small amount of headroom - it losts in the mix too easily anyway.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  9. Boss metal zone. More guitary but absolutely pants.

10cc and seang15 like this.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

One bassist's worst is another one's best, the baked-in scoop is not everyone's cup of tea :). It's all good.

As for me, I've been using BDDI and variants for most of the last 9 years. I tried getting away from it with other preamps, but it didn't work out. I recently went full circle and got back to the PBDDI, so I can get both clean and OD channels. I just love that OD and the ART Tube PM adds a nice little edge to it.

I only have 2 pedals I regret buying:
    - EHX Bass Big Muff
    - Boss AW-3

The Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone and Blues Driver really did not work out well either, but since they are not bass dedicated, it can't totally be their fault :). I only learned of a Bad Monkey bass mod after I got rid of it.

Al Kraft and seang15 like this.
  11. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    EHX bass big muff
    Bass blogger
    Zeibek Less drive (great on guitar)
    MXR bass fuzz

And the one I had the most hope for and HATED was.......

Ssbs pretty years. No idea what it was supposed to be.

12. Haz MuTron III+
    Tech 21 Red Ripper
    DMB Bumble bass distortion
    TWA Flyboy Flanger
    Boss AW-3

13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

A lot of votes for the Boss AW-3, and I'm not surprised. The thing is like the answer to a puzzling riddle. "How can an envelope filter be unfunky?" If I were to make a list, it would be on the top. But I'm not sure I could make a list of five. Like most effects enthusiasts, I've tried a whole bunch, and many were simply "not for me" rather than horrible. Some of the ones I disliked the most are beloved around here, so what do I know? The Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion and Idiot Box Blower Box come to mind.

I think the EHX Bass Muff sounds good by itself, it just gets swallowed up in the mix. If they skipped the clean blend and put a mid-boost on it instead it would be a winner, IMHO.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  14. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    EHX Qballs.

Others weren't bad, just didn't fit.

+6dB Dan and RichSnyder like this.
  15. Jamieeeee

Jamieeeee

Nov 28, 2016
    Denmark
    1. EHX Bass Big Muff
    2. MetalZone
    3. Boss DS-1
    4. Boss ODB

10cc likes this.
  16. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    While I've owned many pedal I didn't care for, the concept of a "product bashing" thread is more disappointing than the worst pedal ever.

In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Mosfed, Lejdestad, lazycat93 and 12 others like this.
  17. A few Sovtek green muff owners will strongly disagree

With all due respect to the OP, this ^

MDBass, Ikkir, Signs and 3 others like this.
  18. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    All of them.

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    +1 to the AW-3

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    Worst effects pedals I've ever owned (in no particular order):

1. NYC EHX Big Muff Pi (admittedly, there was no bass version available, but this one was very thin and muddy, and took up a HUGE amount of space... I might've been able to stomach it stacked with other effects, but not taking up the space of 4 normal pedals. Maybe the Nano version is better?)

2. NYC EHX Bass Balls Nano (I can't even use it because when I'm not playing a note, it's making a LOT of noise)

3. Digitech Bass Squeeze (I have 2 Digitech iStomp pedals and love them, but this compressor does not track well)

4. Ibanez Soundtank Bass Chorus (the effect itself wasn't terrible but the switches on the Soundtank pedals were AWFUL)

5. Boss AW-3 Auto Wah (This pedal left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't try another envelope filter for over 10 years)

Also: Line 6 Bass POD Pro Rackmount (I know it's not a pedal, but it's an effects unit that offers, in my estimation, zero usable tones. It does make a nice rack tuner though).

Somnambulance likes this.