you're at the guitar shop, and a random dude starts talking your ear off

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MattZilla, Jan 2, 2016.

1. get him away from me so I can either try guitars or waste time in peace

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. ahhh, he's not hurting anybody. let him be.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. damned if you do, damned if you don't. buy some carrots.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    ...after doing the same to several other customers who were trying to try out guitars. Would you want an employee to come over and, one way or another, get the guy to leave you be?

I work pt at a shop and we have a regular who does this nearly every Saturday. Sometimes it's only three or four customers, sometimes he's here for my whole shift. He usually seems to get that they're not there to socialize before they just walk out. Today he chased three out in twenty minutes.

I was not a psych major, I have never considered myself a Professional Customer Service Representative, I have no idea if I should do anything, and if so, what or how? Unless someone is clearly irked, I really cannot tell if they are okay with the situation or if they're dying inside.

Are the folks trying out guitars and basses telepathically screaming at me to save them? I have no telepath ears. Are they okay with it? I wouldn't be, but I'm an A-Hole. I don't know.

The shop is in a mall, so a far greater percentage of "customers" are just mall people who drop in to kill some time while loved ones are deep in some other store and so I'm very likely not really losing a sale most of the times that he chases one or two out of the store. I really feel that I'm dicking over these potential customers by not shoeing him along, BUT...

I don't need any sensitive souls who witness me haphazardly intervening to leave the store, vowing to never come back and then tell everyone whom they know to avoid this place because of me sticking my nose where it needn't be when all he's doing is being friendly.

2. Do I ever hate that. There I am in the bass shop, halfway through giving people the best rendition of Smoke On The Water they ever heard..and some dork comes up and starts blabbing my ear off...

placedesjardins, petrus61 and zontar like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

This reminds me of a situation I was in a few months back.

I brought a guitar into a pawn shop, to check if it would fit in the case they had there.

When I walk through the door, there's some redneck there who immediately starts asking me about it in a loud voice.

Then he asks if I can play it, but by this time the store manager was already directing me towards the back, where the case was.

I was so glad that dude didn't follow us.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    kick his ass! ;)

kobass and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Does this "regular" actually buy anything?

The last time this happened to me as a customer, I told the guy I was trying to hear the bass he was talking over. When he kept going, I stopped playing, looked him in the face and said "dude, don't you have anything shaging better to do?" He didn't like it, but he got the point.

Thisguy and fretter like this.
  6. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Put a non soliciting sign up

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

IMHO, the best you can do is go over and ask if you can help. The customers might take the cue and ask you for something, to get away from that dude.

Jim Nazium and MattZilla like this.
  8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think you should find a polite way of having him leave your customers alone.

Papazita and BboogieXVII like this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    once a month, a pick or two.

@GKon where should I look? (not sarcastic)

10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "where should I look". Would you please elaborate?

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Honestly, the owner needs to run him out c

12. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    If he's talking peoples ears off I would kindly ask him to Gogh.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here's the thing. You work for somebody. That somebody needs to turn a profit to keep the doors open. You have the potential to turn some of those wanderers into customers if you actually talk to them. You can do that I the bum isn't running them off.

It is your job, or at least the job of somebody there, to politely tell the guy unless he is buying a guitar every Saturday this can't be his kill-all-day-Saturday hang out. Or at the very least he needs to leave your customers alone.

Do you get any commission?

MattZilla likes this.
  14. He is working for Guitar Center, soon nobody will go into the store.
    Then they will make their move, take your turf, and continue to retail music domination.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would buddy up with the talkative customer, then explain your position and request he help you be successful so he has a place to hang out Saturdays.

-Mike

MattZilla likes this.
  16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    And the Wilkinson Sword was there...
    8682397_1m.jpg

17. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    When he bothers people give him a name and back story.

Ask the customer if Rambling Randy is bothering them. Then explain after accident just never bounced back. He spends his days in the store just rambling to anyone who will listen.

rufus.K likes this.
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Someone starts talking at me. There are 2 main possibilities:

1. I find a way to become engaged in the conversation
    2. I find a way to make the person leave me alone

I suppose there are others, but honestly, if you are just going to talk at me, and not to me, I don't mind being rude. Very rude. Upsettingly rude. Rude enough that you will go away. Of course, you are the one who started being rude, when you decided to talk at me.

Now if you want to talk TO me, that's another thing.

CatSquare likes this.
  19. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    You could explain to him to not bother other customers. If that doesn't work, give him the hard sell?

20. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I like that idea. Make up a new backstop every time. Say it loud enough so he hears it, every time.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021