1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You're fired. Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by disenchant, Dec 27, 2006.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I didn't get fired, but I got laid off RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS! Merry Effing Christmas! That happened to me last year at a different company.

It's really crappie that companies do that right before the holidays. And right after you bought your BF a really nice watch. It sucks that no one hires right around the holidays.

BUT it's not show-friends, it's showbusiness.

I can't believe James Brown is dead. :bawl: It's not a very merry Xmas at my house. But I DID get a very cool iPod clock radio from my honey :)

My work gave me a bottle of Baileys as a Xmas gift. Who knew I'd have to go home and drink the whole thing?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Wow, that really sucks. It makes you think if the exec's planned it that way just to put salt on the wound. =/

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you got laid off, why does your thread say "You're fired"?

-Mike

4. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Cuz it sounded more like "The Apprentice" to say "you're fired"

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I gotcha. ;)

Did the person who announced your layoff have shiny hair that looked like plastic? :D

-Mike

6. That sucks. A friend of mine in Chicago got laid of recently too. You'd think that a company would at least wait until after the new year. Maybe they just want to make sure they don't have any paperwork to do for the next year. Bastards!

Good luck with everything.

- Dave

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Man that does suck. My business tends to get slow around the holidays just about every year but we've made a strict policy never to to let anyone go right before Christmas. So far every year things have picked back up after newyears so we haven't had to let them go at all. Sorry to hear not all employers are as concerned about their people :scowl:

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Sounds like a fresh year and a fresh start for you! I'm hoping to get a better job this year, but hopefully not to get fired first! May we both have good luck in that arena.
    At least you've got a honey. That's another thing I'm looking for in 2007...

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i feel your pain (INSERT GENDER UNBIASED REMARK). i was given the option to resign or be fired back in october. the job market here is HORRIBLE. literally 2 interviews out of at least 200 resumes sent. 10 years of management experience and i cant even flip burgers

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Psst, she's a girl...

11. We have a huge labour shortage up here. I could have a job in 2 hours on any give day of the week... yet we are still giving people that are cabable of work unemployment :scowl: McDonalds is Calgary is paying 12 bucks an hour to flip burgers :).

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's very common to be laid-off right around Christmas. I know several people who had that happen.
    I assume it's because the employer wants to sever the ties before the new year - it makes the bookwork easier or something. Bastages...
    At any rate, dont get bummed. Chin up and dont stop fighting. May your 2007 be better than 2006.

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Whats the difference between being laid off and fired? Is it that when you're fired its because you made a mistake?

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Twelve Canadian Pesos? That's like, what - US$3.28?

:bag:

15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    As far as I know, there is no difference. It's just that being "laid off" sounds much more gentle than being "fired".
    I'm sorry you've had to go through this.
    -Alex

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Usually "laid off" doesn't involve fault like "fired" does.

17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I see, thanks for clarifying.

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There's a definite difference. Being "fired" is more a punative thing. You've done something against company policy, or illegal, whatever and the employer needs to make an example of you/cover their arse/get even. In some cases it may also effect your unemployment benefits.

Being "laid off" signifies that your employement is being terminated through no fault of your own, (company needs to save money, your position is no longer needed, etc etc) In such instances your unemployment benefits are in full effect.
    That said, at my company sometimes a person will be "laid off" in lieu of being fired because it looks better for the victim... corporate mercy? who'd a thunk it?
    At any rate, not to sound corny but being laid off is sometimes the best thing to ever happen as it very often opens up other paths

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i believe you can be brought back from a lay off too, where as being fired or being asked to resign is permanent. in my world it was as simple as politics. make your life miserable until you have no choice but to go insane or resign.

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, that makes sense. What I should have said is that sometimes companies lay people off instead of firing them becuase of something wrong they might have done and it looks better for the company like that. There are however lots of people who get laid off because the company doesn't need their labor anymore or can't afford to keep them.
    -Alex