1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You're never too old to get up on that stage and play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Julian G, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Occasionally there's a thread about someone worrying about being too old to play bass or too old to learn and the Talkbass community is always very supportive. I just want to add that you're never too old to start playing live. Having played bass on and off over the years I finally got myself out in December to some jam meet-ups and met some guys who were putting a band together. So a couple of months later and at the grand old age of 56 I got up on stage and played my first ever gig in front of an audience of about 100.
    Great fun, loved every minute of it, even the occasional bum note. So whatever your age, as far as I'm concerned you're never too old to get up on a stage and play that bass. WhatsApp Image 2019-03-02 at 23.04.24.

2. That's right!
    I'm 65 and our classic rock band just played our first gig and are booked for the next 4 months. Best band I've ever been in!
    20190202_193610.

ibasso, viper4000, jamro217 and 8 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Just curious, what are the names of your bands?

Nick Danger and nixdad like this.
  4. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    Well as this gig came up we had no name so the event organisers just put us down on their media as The Jammers - not sure if we will stick with that

nixdad and Stumbo like this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I plan on playing until I can't play no more. I'm 66 and last Summer I had a minor stroke affecting my right side but fortunately it hasn't kept me from playing.

We sometimes play with a mandolin player who is 88.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  6. RK FB Banner.

7. I'm 68 and playing more often than I ever have. Retiring at the end of the year and plan to play even more.

8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Congrats! It feels good to perform at any age.

I retired from my day job at age fifty after a major stroke, I'll be sixty at the beginning of May. I play in multiple bands anywhere from fifty to a hundred gigs a year. I've invested in gear that is lighter in order to keep rocking. Some day I'll have to give it up, but likely because I can no longer carry the "stuff".

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I will turn 60 next month. I retired from playing for many years but decided to get my chops back together and get out there again just a few years ago. Recently heard a tape of myself in one of the best bands I was ever in, back when I was 28. It was a tight band, I was solidly in the pocket, my voice was in excellent shape, but I think I'm a much better player now. Realistically I know I might only have ten years or so left to keep doing this, but I hope to play for as long as I possibly can.

10. If you still have a pulse and haven't assumed room temperature you're not too old to be onstage. You may need a nap in between sets, though. :smug:

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'm 69. I quit being in bands at age 65, but only due to health issues. Hauling equipment, long hours, keeping up with learning new stuff for the set list, rehearsing, band drama, etc. became more than I wanted to deal with anymore. But I still jam privately with buds once a week, and now I can just enjoy playing again just for playing's sake, train wrecks and all (because it doesn't matter in this scenario). Having a ball.

But actually, I have played out two or three times since then, just something thrown together on the spot, not an actual band.

I used to wonder what younger folks thought of seeing old guys play, but soon got over worrying about it. If you can play and like it, there's no good reason not to.

danesdad and LBS-bass like this.
  12. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    More power to you man! My plan when I retire is to work at golf course and play in my band at night. Old dude band name? 3 Putt Bogey. Nobody steal that please. :woot:

play4sanity, Valsmere and Julian G like this.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    While I understand your point - and, at least philosophically, wholeheartedly agree with you - I gotta tell ya; if you spent 24 hours living in what's left of my beat to pieces, worn out, 68 year old body? I'm pretty sure you'd agree that I am too old for that stuff... Now, I gotta go; my Harley is calling me...:rolleyes:

14. I’m retiring in May at age 64 and I plan to play more music, golf and hockey. I ain’t slowing down, just givin up my day job.

Pilgrim, danesdad and Julian G like this.
  15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I could have written this. ^ I'm 68, and no longer enjoy the load-in; load-out; etc. of playing out. But like you, I jam with some friends every week. And every once in awhile we'll play out somewhere, but not often. But I do enjoy the jams and the camaraderie.
    30421505_10155660409422869_316138489_n.

16. I’m only 46 but I love this thread. Go rock on bass brothers.

Valsmere, Julian G and HaphAsSard like this.
  17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC

Jeff K likes this.
  18. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    We must have done something right... they've asked us to come back on the 15th March!!

19. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I'm the same way, Russell L.. I don't even have to carry a bass! I keep a bass rig and bass at the drummer's place (where we jam). The only time I even carry a bass is if I decide to switch it up and keep a different bass there for awhile. I'm so spoiled!! But I'm a 20 minute drive from his house. Which isn't bad at all, but not a 3-minute drive like you!

Yeah, that bass is one of my favorites. It's a MIJ E-Series P ('84-'87). I did switch out the pickup to a Seymour Duncan SPB-1, and it sounds great. The SPB-1 is my favorite pickup for vintage P-Bass tone. The color is Vintage White. Most people either love Vintage White or hate it. I love it. I have more basses than a man of my modest talents deserves, but this is definitely one of my favorites.

Russell L and Zoobiedood like this.
  20. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I wondered if it was vintage white. Looks great.

I have a made in Japan '87 Jazz Bass Special that I prefer playing over my '01 American Series Jazz Bass.

Jeff K likes this.