1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You're never too old to get up on that stage and play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Julian G, Mar 3, 2019.

1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Congratulations! It feels good to get back out there with this, doesn't it? In my book we're all as young as we feel and as long as somebody wants me up there doing this, I'll be up there, until I can't physically do it anymore.

dawind99, Julian G and drummer5359 like this.
  2. I'm 65, and I've been playing with our Tom Petty tribute for seven years now, and it's been a great and enjoyable ride. Our band, Petty Larceny Band, has a good following here in Central Massachusetts, and we gig out regularly. I'm playing with five really great guys, all excellent musicians in their own right. It's a lot of hard work, but a lot of fun at the same time. I'll keep going until the day my body tells me it's time to quit. When that will be I have no idea. My advice for you old guys thinking of taking up the bass is simple - DO IT!

Here we are last summer playing at Foxwoods. Great crowd, great gig.

dawind99, LBS-bass and Julian G like this.
  3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Gigged plenty on horns in high school college and for about 10 years after that. A few accoustic guitar "gigs" in my 20s and 30s. But, my first electric bass gig at 59.

We're mostly all in that range (on guy is in his 40s I think) and I don't thingk it would look right if I was playing with a buinch of 20-30 somethings.

I'd jam with them if it ever cama bout, but on stage, it would just look a little creepy unless one of them was my kid or something like that.

4. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vernon, New Jersey
    I play in one of the bands I’m in next to a fellow (on drums) that I’ve known since we were in our 20s. He married my wife’s best friend 30 years ago. We both have families now and he and I sat-in with his sons band during his sons college graduation party. A couple of old farts backing a bunch of young studs and they were impressed that we “kept up”. Just a good time at a ripe 58 years young. Never quit!

5. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

66 and still bangin' away

27912772_10215752004178681_4931870608597804627_o.

Julian G likes this.
  6. I'm mid 60s. Have class D, will travel. Looking at low weight cabs. Dont care about bass weight. Will stand all night, but not ashamed to sit if I can get away with it.

Julian G likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest checking out Revsound cabs.

LBS-bass and IamGroot like this.
  8. Next cab will be a Hathor.

9. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    Music isn't limited by age. If you play well together, you play well together. I never realize how old I am until I look in the mirror....and then 10 minutes later I'm back to feeling like a 20 something who is really smart:) Look at Buddy Guy, 70+ and playing with kids and teaching them lessons they'd never learn playing with their "peers". Just get out there and have some fun!

LBS-bass likes this.
  10. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Hell yeah, I’ll quit when I’m dead....and even then may play a few more ghost notes.

dawind99, HaphAsSard and Runnerman like this.
  11. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I love this thread:). I played the first gig of my life at 42.

dawind99 likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm 60, still playing at churches. A few weeks ago, the drummer was 16. He and I are both good for our ages.

13. Yes, playing when you are older is fun except for those darn kids. They play so loud and too fast and the lyrics make no sense. Yep, back in the 70s, we had music like CCR and GFR and ABBAR* and we wore cool sunglasses and clothes like bell bottoms and tied dyed stuff. And had onions tied to our belts. That was very stylish.

Now, all the young kids make fun of my Hawaiian shirts, shorts and Velcro tennis shoes, but what do they know. I still wear the sunglasses on stage because i need em to see where the bathroom is.

*ABBAR was real popular but I cant remember anything about em except they were these 4 blonde chicks and they had nice clean lyrics.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

You're never too old to get up on that stage and play
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

69 this month! i could be playing more frequently...:D

15. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Yep, you are never too old to get on stage.

Our drummer is 74 (or 75 I can't remember) and plays in our 60's band and is a temporary member of a high energy ska band (composed mainly of teenage music students) until they can find someone permanent.

Our guitarist is the baby of the band, he is only 60 but has just successfully had treatment for myeloma, a form of cancer, for the second time (last time was 15 years ago when they gave him 2 years to live). He also plays in an acoustic folk/roots/Americana band and several uke ensembles. He says that when he has to give up playing they can measure him up for a box.

I'm almost 68, I play in the 60's band with the 2 reprobates above, and in the acoustic band with our guitarist (EUB or DB which I am still an absolute novice on). I'm also in a duo with a singer songwriter, we don't do many gigs but do a weekly live stream to Facebook (so no pressure there!). I am also #1 sub in a busy local covers band. When I have time I attend a couple of open mic nights where I play EUB or tea chest bass and perform solo playing country blues on slide guitar.

Life is good!

Julian G and HaphAsSard like this.