"You're the One that I Want"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by CultParadox, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Hey everyone

I am playing bass in the musical "Grease" for a very small-time theatre company - earning CD money - and am at this very moment transcribing "You're the One That I Want".

It's such a great line! I could not imagine a more simple, fitting, punchy, rockin' line for this song - in fact, as with most of the music for this play, the bass completely drives the song.

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me who's line this is?
  2. cheezkid

Mar 15, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    That has to be one of my favorite bass lines. I checked amazon.com and it had a Joe Henson as the bass player on the Grease sound track. Not sure if this is correct.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    got some newz fer ya....

have you started the show yet????

I'm 99 3/4 % sure that You're the One That I Want is NOT in the play version. I once was going to play bass in a production of that, was all excited, started learning that bass line (cuz it's my fav on the album) and then got told it's not even in the show. :(

perhaps they've thrown it into the production you're doing - hope so for your sake and enjoyment.

I always also loved the bass on Hopelessly Devoted.
  4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    while i agree about some of the basslines being cool, it get's boring very fast... especially the harmonic structe of the songs is very similar.

"hopelessly devoted" is most fun to play, for me. i don't know why.
  5. Wow, thanks for the replies, I was expecting a flaming :)

Let me say that the song certainly isn't of the sort of music I'd listen to for personal enjoyment but I found the line interesting (reading my first post, I think I found it much more interesting a couple of days ago, but overlistening will do that, I suppose).

Yeah, the song is from the movie, not the play, but the company got the rights to do this song as well (or so it claims...).

My favourite song from the actual play itself is Hopelessly Devoted to You, I guess, but the bassline is pretty much exactly what I play anyway, just looking at the chart. I personally don't find it very imaginative or original, and definitely not as memorable as You're the One That I Want, which I think is pretty much universally recognisable.

Actually, as far as the lines for the songs from the actual play, I find them very much boring, particularly for the 'filler' songs (i.e. the dozen or so songs whose existence rests tentatively on the I VI IV V progression), with some interesting fills from time to time and the occasional complete deviation.

But man, gotta love those elementary old-school 12-bar rock 'n roll numbers :D That stuff is so much fun
  6. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Oh man..as soon as I read the topic, I started humming that bassline!! LOL It's been burned into my brain through many, many showings of Grease.

Agreed...that is a cool bassline and it's so prominently mixed in that song.