Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yours truly is picking up an acoustic 360 tomorrow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theleveebreaks, Sep 21, 2005.

1. just wanting to double check before I shell out the money tomorrow, Acoustic 360 preamp (from the 70's of course, not a remake pedal or rackmount deal) for 200 dollars even tomorrow. Good deal? I'm actually really excited for this and I want to make sure it's a good idea. I play a Jazz bass and it will be going through a Stewart 1.2 and an Ampeg 8x10. Let me know what you think.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I bet it would sound pretty killer.

3. acoustic rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist:
    Nice score!

4. yeah I know man! I've come across a few acoustics within the past month and each time I've been screwed over, first one was an Acoustic 330 (the guitar version but works great for bass) but the wiring was too shoddy for me to buy, way unreliable. Next, an Acoustic 371 system, problem? Not enough cash flow for it. Yeah, but I FINALLY have come across a good acoustic deal and I'm ready to pounce on it, ha

5. I just picked up a 270 head for free, and I found a 2x15 cab for cheap too.

p.s. I know that the 270 is a guitar head, but I think it sounds good.

6. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Damn you people are making me jealous. A 270? for free? That is an amazing bass amp. One of the "big boys". It is a guitar amp, but essentially the same as the 370, but with reverb and cheezy distortion. The EQ is differtent too - doens't have the low lows of the 370, but those frequencies are mud anyway. Plus, you could flip it on eBay and make 300 bucks should you choose.

Congrats on the 360. For 200 bucks you got a Great Deal!!

I picked up an old 404 cab (1x15) yesterday for 150. Sounds pretty cool. My vintage small club cab.

OSF

7. yeah, I figure i might as well snatch up whatever I can find now because I think they're going to start becoming collectables, they're getting pretty hard to come by these days.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Man, if that thing works and everything that is a STEAL. Just curious, what are you going to power it with? Speakers, etc?

9. let me tell you, this thing is amazing! I bought it today right on the spot, I plugged it into a powered 301 cab and was completely blown away, and not only did they have this 301 and 360 head, THEY HAD 3! 3 360 heads and 2 301 powered cabs! This store is by far the best one I've been to in a long long time. I'm going to be running it with a Stewart World 1.2 into an Ampeg 8x10. BUT, my little wandering eyes spotted something in the corner of the store, for 99 dollars, an Acoustic 300 slave amp. We plugged it in, didn't work, so he jumped right on it and said it's going to the shop and he'll call when it gets fixed to let me know about it, that's a deal if I've ever seen one.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say that price sounds about right for the preamp. Acoustic gear is awesome sounding! I wish I came across it more... I came across one of their 415s a while back (2 front, 2 folded horn) and damn was that loud!

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I wish there was more acoustic stuff in Aus.. i'd so have a 360 :(

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    ah, you young bucks! I so don't want to schlep a 360 anymore!

Kim

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did you try the 360 preamp out with the Stewart? I don't know if they have enough output to drive a modern power amp to full power...maybe they have too much...heck, I don't know.

IIRC, the schematic shows an output level control inside the preamp, but I don't recall seeing one in the two that I've peered inside.

About 5 years ago, I bought a full 361 for $200. Had to make a simple repair to the power amp (one resistor) and peel off the leopard skin vinyl and recover the beast, but it was fun. Personally, I prefer the tone of a more modern bass amp...but that's me.

BTW, the power amp in the 270 is almost identical to that in the 370 except the 370's has a limiter (known back then as Automatic Gain Control (AGC)) to prevent the power amp from being driven in to clipping. I learned this after peering inside a 270, seeing a partially empty PCB for the power amp and dropping a line to Steve Rabe at Raven Labs... As you probably know, Steve was at Acoustic before being at AMP, the starting SWR and later Raven Labs.

The tone controls in the 270 are probably voiced an octave higher.

Back to the 360...if you need a manual and can't find it on the Acoustic 360 website, drop me a PM....

One other thing... the 360 has an ungrounded AC wall plug...what this means is that it's very possible to have the polarity reversed (via the polarity switch) and have 120 Vac between the chassis of the 360 preamp and the chassis of your Stewart. It would be best to have a tech install a grounded plug on your 360 so it doesn't cause you to fry your Stewart...or yourself.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Depending upon condition, that's a great deal if it's in good condition. You can turn around and sell it for twice that.

I bought one on ebay for $25.00 (the guy didn;t know what he had and he had just listed it with a BIN of $25.00). I kept it for a while, then sold it for something like $300.00.

I found that it did not drive my power amps very well. However, I understand that an adjustment can be made inside the head to boost it. Mine did not appear to have one, though.

15. I tried it out with the power section of my ampeg today, and the thing can crank, we'll just put it that way. It's a killer tone too, so I think it'll do just fine with the Stewart. I'll have that grounded asap.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks like it'd be this one, but it may be one of the external pots.

17. Where is this place. I want to go there.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Minor correction: the 360 preamp head should go with the 361 powered cabinet. The Acoustic 301 cabinet is also a folded 18" of about the same size, but unpowered.

It's easy enough to tell which one's which, so that's why I called it a minor correction.

19. yeah, so guess what, I got electrocuted today by the Preamp. Needless to say, the 360 is now in the shop having the 2 prong replaced with a grounded 3 prong. Also, one of the speaker outputs is being converted to be the footswitch input, because the footswitch for a 360 is nearly impossible for me to find. Anyone know what the footswitch switches? The fuzz and anything else?

20. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Enjoy the find, different kind of animal than rigs today.

The foot switch runs the Fuzz and Tuning Fork (which is a waste). The Tuning Fork switch on the front panel has to be switched in the "up / on" position for the foot switch to activate it.

The five pin cord of the foot switch plugs in just to the right of the four preamp outs on the back panel of the 360. At least on this one here.

Enjoy the beast!

BC :cool: