1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Youth leader wants to add more back-up singers to the band!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chetorch, Jan 27, 2012.

1. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    Hello all, I'll try to get to the point in less words that are in my thoughts...

I am the youth worship leader in my church; I play bass and am the lead singer. aside from me there is one other singer, our pianist who is able to sing just fine.
    We also have in the band two electric guitarist, an acoustic guitarist and a drummer.

the issue I have at the moment is that since we play a "different" genre, think Hillsong United, than our "main" worship team in our congregation, think older variations of hymns, there are some who don't really appreciate how we play. this leads the Youth pastor wanting me to "add more singers", i'm guessing to even out with the musicians? :eyebrow:
    ...and the problem with this is that the people who are interested in singing cannot hold, hit maintain a note at all!

I know that in a church setting, we depend on people who are willing to volunteer but I also believe that it is important to give God our best!

I'm sorry if this post seems a bit incoherent, i'm having difficulty trying to sort it out in my mind, let alone type it down!

How can I tell my youth pastor that we don't need more singers without sounding selfish/snobbish? In my opinion, we sound great as we are :hyper:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you a volunteer, or do you get paid? If you do, who signs the check?

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Personally, Id stay away.

4. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    ^LOL!

Thats what I get for not proof reading :scowl:

I went ahead and fixed the title from "yoth' to 'youth"

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Hold auditions. It might be very cool to have a trio of backup singers, if you can orchestrate that type of addition to the group.

6. It's a touchy subject. I am in the process of looking for a job as a worship leader and get asked this question a lot. One of the thing you have to keep in mind is that we are called to bring excellence before the Lord, but without resorting to only letting the best-of-the-best play. If someone isn't good enough yet you need to tell them, in a loving and respectful way, that if they want to work on their skill for 6 months they are welcome to try out again and you can reevaluate the situation. It's a hard conversation to have, especially with youth, but it has to be done. I've heard of people doing shady things like allowing someone to participate, and then turning down their mic, but I think that is deceitful. As far as the main service having a different style, I say don't worry about it. They church used to frown upon the use of organ and piano when only chants and voices were used, and praise bands have been around for almost 30 years now. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to worship, only right or wrong attitudes. Music isn't inherently evil or holy, it's just like any other art in which how it's used is more important. If the youth pastor want to be more like the main service by adding vocalist, but there aren't any vocalist who are able, according to their skill level, then the situation is out of your control. if they can't wrap their minds around that then you have an even harder road ahead of you if you choose to stay. Good luck!

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I guess that's a risk you need to take. Do your best to give him your opinion and be honest about your feelings. Be as genuine as you can be.

8. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    I think that is something that would be great but if only we had a good pool of singers.

I can see it being more of a worst of American Idol type of thing..

And for some reason, people in church take rejection very personal. for example, this girl asked if she could sing with us, so I told her to practice with our pianist and we would see how things went.
    unforunatley, she never improved and when she asked about singing again, I told her that she still needed to improve some more. after that she kind of stopped talking with me :meh:

another problem we have is space issues. we have a hard time squeezing everyone on stage as it is and I don't think that adding additional mics to an already overcrowded stage will be good...

one other solution I have thought of is to "teach" everyone in the band how to harmonize a bit. perhaps that might be best...

9. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    Saustindavis: what I can say is that aside from this current situation, the youth pastor is very understanding of our position as a different kind of worship genre. I'm wondering if maybe he thinks that adding more singers can calm those who don't see us as a legitimate group.

klokker: that probably is more or less all I can do at this point :(

10. I guess I can understand that. Jesus did say, "Blessed are the peace makers," but at the same time he can't go around placating everyone. He can't let them put God in a box. God is bigger than musical style. If he lets people decide how the youth group worships through music it will never stop. I think he needs to stand up for himself. Sorry if I'm coming off as rude, this stuff just gets under my skin sometimes. Hope it all works out.

11. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    Saturday night we have a youth service, It will give me a chance to speak with the youth pastor and I'll give the auditions idea a go.

I'm leaning on having the current band mates take up back up singing duty now that I think about it more. Between work and college classes, I don't have much time to teach non-musicians to sing atm, although I'd like to.

12. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    well! everything turned out better than expected! I feel now that I presented the idea of the band members singing as well, we might make some interesting progress!

thanks guys for the words of advice.

and yes, I will steer clear of Yoth!