1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Youth Symphony auditions

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Ryker_M, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    Hi everyone!

Been awhile since I've been around :( But I'm back!

Anyways, recently I've been researching different orchestra placements I could get to attach to my resume for universities.

But I've came to an interesting problem:

That's all well and good, but I personally know the current bassist in the orchestra and he's quite frankly a virtuoso in the making.

I'm just wondering what kind of pieces you guys recommend, seeing as how mostly everyone here has auditioned for something.

I'm open to any excerpt/solo/etudes/scales/etc. I've been playing bass in school for three years now, with master classes seven months out of the year and recently private lessons once a week.

Thanks guys :)

2. More specifics will always help you get a better answer.
    Are you interested in auditioning locally for LYS (London), or are you thinking of NYO and other national programs like that? There would be different set standards and requirements depending on what you have in mind.

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Play something WELL. It is far better to play an easier piece WELL than a difficult piece poorly. Playing a difficult piece poorly only shows you can't play. By playing something well you can show the audition committee accurate rhythms, pitch, tone, etc.

What have you worked on? What are you working on? What does your teacher recommend?

4. Exactly.
    I had a student a few years ago get into LYS by playing the Elephant, excerpts from Eine Kleine, and another easy piece. She only found out about the audition a few days before and these were the best choices to bring out the best in her.
    Often the committee will want to see that you can stay in control on something easier rather than be all over the place trying to bite off more than you can chew.
    Keep in mind that this is a Youth Orchestra; you’re there to learn.

5. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario

Yeah, the LYS. The National Youth is probably in a few years time. I prepared the audition excerpts for it, but the solo was just a little too much.

As for MostlyBass; I'm currently preparing the Marcello Sonata in G for Kiwanis. I also have a few other pieces on the go, but nothing of note with the exception of the third movement from Brandenburg No. 3

I'm sure either of those would be more than acceptable for the LYS.

Only reason why I'm asking for your inputs is because I have the time to put together a few different auditions and excerpts. Just wanting to see if anyone had some ideas as to what.

6. Cool. Good luck with LYS; I’m sure you’ll do fine. Right now they only have one bass so they’re really in need of new members. I already had to come in and fill in for a couple concerts for that reason.
    Anyway, feel free to send me an email if you need to play for anyone to get out some audition jitters. That’s always helped me in the past.

7. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario

The bassist they have now is amazing. But yeah, definitely needing more.

I'll keep your offer in mind.Thank you :)

Added note: I also have the Bach Minuet No. 3 in G on the go right now as well.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021