1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YouTube poll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Full album on one video

9.3%
  2. Each song on their own video

90.7%
  1. My band is working on our YouTube. We have 4 albums we want to put on Our page. We’ve seen various ways and are trying to weigh the pros and cons of how we post our albums on the page.

1st option
    post a full album in one video. with the song times in the description if someone wants to go straight to a particular song.

Pros: focuses comments to one video per album instead of them spread over 50 videos. Also allows people to hear the album as an album as intended instead of just songs in random orders. Keeps our YouTube page from getting cluttered, we’re getting more and more into making music videos and are concerned about music videos being overshadowed by 50 or so videos for individual songs.

Cons: I think it can be annoying if an ad pops up in the middle of a song. Is this something you can fix? Can you choose the times where adds can be played?

2 posting individual songs and then making a playlist so people can listen to the entire album if they choose.

Pros: definitely don’t have to worry about ads in the middle of songs. Can see what songs are getting more views and comments.

Cons: spreads comments out over about 50 videos instead of them being all on 4 videos. People may not give a song a shot if it has low views compared to another song.

Vote and let me know what you think. Also if there are pros or cons I’m overlooking please let me know.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I may be tempted to post the material both ways.

Also, I believe you can opt out of the advertising program if you don't want to interrupt the viewing experience.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I say individual songs.

[edit] Didn’t read OP carefully when I responded. I thought it was 4 songs, not 4 albums - but I still say individual. And I’ll add that Bandcamp can list songs in the order of an album if anyone wants to listen straight through. I’m sure there are other newer options available also.
    • To me, one long video would be annoying. At best I'd skip around. No way am I (or do I think anyone else for that matter) is going to sit and watch a half an hour of an unknown band. For people to do that ya gotta have either something REALLY super entertaining, or naked people :).
    • If people like your music and want it, they can easily make mp3s from single videos. One long one ya can't. And while that might be viewed by some as a positive, unless you're already famous you're not going to get rich nor even pay the bills by selling songs. Much better to get as many people as possible listening.
    • Makes your catalog of songs seem a lot larger. And more diverse.
    • Gives people the option if they don't like a particular song to quickly check out another. Also doesn't require them to jump around in order to locate the start of a song.
    • If you have one long song (an album) you may very well lose some people by having them think the first song is pretty much who and what you are. They may not even realize it's a bunch of songs. Many people aren't smart :).
    • Lots of people won't be able to play the longer versions on their phones as videos don't always load super fast. Waiting even 10 seconds for a video to load is long enough for first time listeners to say, "see-ya!"
    • Multiple songs I think are better for promotion. Again, it might seem like all ya got is that one video - if someone is just quickly checking you out. New fans WILL only be quickly checking you out. As well as club owners, management, labels, etc.
    • You can keep people engaged with the band longer with the shorter videos by releasing them one at a time. Much better to keep people hooked and have your band seem active always than just doing a one shot deal. Long video you get to put out there, and it's the end of the story. Short ones, you can get people's interest, and then work at keeping it.
    • I think you have more of a chance of getting lots of hits with a bunch of short videos, than one long one. You'll have more watchers and listeners to the entire video, and more likelihood of them "liking" the shorter ones. You also get a chance to build your audience with separate videos. One video is a one time deal. Seperate videos give you multiple chances to draw people in, and then if they like it - click on the others. You only get one click, with one video.
    I could go on and on with this but I have to get to my day-job. I really don't see any benefit at all to posting one long album. I think it would be shooting oneself in the foot. But I'm looking forward to seeing what other people think. I was wrong once.

:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Videos for each track and you can make playlists for albums. I can't see why a album length single video would be better even if you wanted the ad revenue.

5. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

i have to go with the one-tune-per-view sentiments, but that's based solely on my own youtube viewing/listening habits and preferences. the era of "buy the album for the one great tune" more or less 'poisoned' me re: album lengths in general.

and since very few albums consist of "all hits," a serious fan would have to do some intricate mouse clicking to arrive at his/her favorite(s). also: just because the band conceptualizes the album as being some sort of gestalt, or as having a 'thematic' or a concept, doesn't mean that fans will buy into that (hubris?) in the same way.

whole album = a chore for users/fans. :bored:
    single tunes = what we want, the way we want it, when we want it! :hyper:

but that's my knee-jerk opinion: those more adept may know better!

Nephilymbass , you could post a few of your tunes here: it might help folks form an opinion on your music specifically....and, it would be entertaining! in any case, good luck on your venture! thanks. :thumbsup:

Inky13, Nephilymbass and mmon77 like this.
  6. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I think @Joe Nerve had many good reasons to post one song at a time, and I'll 2nd @JRA's feelings about the album vs song thing as well. It's never been a format that I'm fond of.

I've seen one of the OP's band's videos that he posted a link to before, and it was a nicely produced video for a good song. I think their YouTube page will do well if the rest of their material is as good.

Inky13, Nephilymbass and JRA like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Individual songs in a playlist.

Also, I would spread out the YouTube "release" of the material....for several reasons.

1) I don't care how amazing you are, I'm not listening to 5 or 6 hours of your material in a row. But I WILL check out your album....and then a month from now check out another.

2) When I was in sales (and make no mistake......you're in sales), we were trained to never contact a customer without a REASON to contact them. One of the reasons I don't Facebook is that I don't want a notification every time Chris Stapleton finishes his breakfast like a big boy. I don't want to know if Joss Stone is constipated.

But if you drop an album a month on YouTube you have a REASON to blast your followers on social media every few weeks. Them you can also update them on show dates and other news. Do not include your breakfast menu. Nobody cares. Also, when you release the new material, you can announce how proud you are that "I Wanna Do Yer Mama" from the last album is up to a bazillion views for another bump of that video.

8. Here’s what’s already on the page wouldn’t be a video for every song off all 4 albums though. Probably just the cover art, maybe cycle through a few show Pics from around the time each album came out.

This is more how we’d post just the music for all the albums. We did a bundle deal on our last two albums to get them on iTunes, spotify and all that stuff. Also puts songs on YouTube but we’d rather have them on our page.

dxb, Helix and firetec05 like this.
  9. Good point, I didn’t really consider doing both

10. JRA

hey Nephilymbass , thanks for the music! very nice! (i've actually heard your work before --- probably pertaining to the other thread(s) --- i was impressed then, and even more now!)

i've still got to go with my/our original POV: single tune posts are better than album length posts. i think the tunes stand well on their own and i would not 'obfuscate' or hide them in an album mix.

just my .02. very nice work! thanks. :thumbsup:

Nephilymbass likes this.
  11. Thank you sir. Yeah it’s seems pretty clear. Everyone is suggesting single songs. I told the band maybe we can make it a weekly or biweekly event to post a song on YouTube that way we can make a post on fb and the like giving some background on that song. And as each song is posted we can add them to the album playlist for each album.

JRA likes this.
  12. JRA

you're welcome! good luck with marketing/selling/sharing your music! :thumbsup:

Stumbo likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    At least initially, single songs. People unfamiliar with the music (or without an hour to spend) are much more likely to click.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You are not going to have any luck getting people to watch things over 3 minutes. Just the rule of today's attention spans.

15. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Individual vids for just The Hits. The song that everybody wants to hear, no filler, the potential classic. To document a band with 3 albums already, maybe 3 song groups.

mikewalker and Nephilymbass like this.
  16. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think what would really appeal to my attention span for checking out unknown bands would be if you could just make a playlist of your best 10 second parts of songs.....

Totally serious.

There's no way in hell I'm watching a whole album of anyone on youtube.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    No offense to the posters and voters above me, but I wouldn't trust these poll results.

Talkbass skews kind of...um..."can one of you kids come over and help me with my phone" if you know what I mean.

Full album on a single video is what you want to do for an unknown band. If you've got music videos or are on a label you can get away with a playlist. But if you're nobody you want the full album so people can just move the slider if they get bored - if they have to click on another video (and watch an ad) they'll move on to another band.

You could also do both, just be aware that some people might only see the individual tracks in the "recommended" side bar and you'll be in the same boat as if you had only uploaded individually.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  18. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    In your situation where you are loading 4 existing albums, I would load them as one long file and put a breakdown of the song times in the description. Going forward, with new material, you can leak it out in little dribbles, one song at a time.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What did you say? I only got half way through your post before I moved on.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I might actually give ya that one.