Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YOU'VE BEEN SO HELPFUL! now, finally, spector rebop european or lakland 5501 or 5502?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by injektilo, Jul 18, 2005.

1. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    I finally made up my mind: :hyper: no more choices to look for, it's gonna be a 5 string european spector or a lakland 5501 or 5502, if it's the european, tomorrow on ebay, if it's the lakland 5501 it'll be on musiciansfriend, if it's the 5502 it'll be at basscentral here in Orlando... so my final question, and i really need your advise here, what should I go for? based on price and performance and beautiness and everything, oh my god, I'm going crazy :eek: but i must buy my 5 string in the next two days! thanks all of you guys through all these days of posting!

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's a tough call . . . you've sort of "painted yourself into a corner" by having chosen basses that you can't try out for yourself.

That being said, I'd race down to Bass Central tomorrow to try out the 55-02, if I were you, because it appears to be the only one within driving distance for you. Make sure you're OK with the 35" scale.

Other than that, I'm sure you'll end up with something you like.

I used to think the 55-02 was much better than the 55-01 due to the electronics, but some folks here prefer the 55-01. I don't have experience with a European Spector, though I've heard good things.

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Im going to my local shop to play a 55-01 tomoz, they look lovely

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, IMO I much rather the cheaper end Spector's. They're very fast playing, versatile basses.

I've played a few Lakland Skyline's and they were so-so.

YMMV of course.

5. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    55-02D.

Awesome basses, IMO as good as the fully american ones.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    All I can say is that the 5 string European Spectors are superb !

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've played all and like all. They are very different sounding and feeling (the laklands are similar in feel and somewhat in sound), so just get an idea of what you want to hear. I personally like the 55-02 sound better than the 55-01, but I do understand why certain people like the 55-01 sound better. I think the 55-01 will sound closer to the spector, however I don't think they sound alike. Sorry for being uninformed about your particular situation, but do you have any basis as to why you are choosing these basses. I usually narrow down my bass choices after playing my choices several times. Although I know you can't always play before you buy, I do think it's the wisest choice and you have to have some criteria in terms of sound and playability.