1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yowza... new MIA P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boof, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Boof

Boof

Oct 3, 2008
    Nashville
    Figured I'd get some considered opinions here...

I pulled the trigger today on a Fender American Standard Precision V. Rosewood, nice, light alder body (8 lbs even!). I've never been comfortable on P bass necks, but I could use a P for sessions and some of the live work I do, and I haven't had a 5-string for a while (long story). Could use that too, so I got this P5. It's an '07 with '08 upgrades (one of the first with the '08 specs), NOS, so brand spankin' new. I'm lovin' it. 5-string neck is, well, a 5-string neck, so no P spacing or 4-string width to deal with, and it sounds KILLER. I've had Sadowskys, EBMMs... lots of good basses, but this may take the cake. Graphite rods, man... mile-deep fundamental on every note. Not to mention I got an embarrassingly good deal on it - significantly less for new than I see them for used on TB. Anyhow...

I figured going in that I might add a jazz pickup in the bridge position. I love the mix and versatility of a PJ. Thought I'd put a stack knob in the volume position (like from a '62 RI), so I wouldn't have to screw up the pickguard. I like the sound of the stock P pickup a lot, and want to get a J that compliments it well in terms of tone and volume. Also, I don't think a J will hum cancel in partnership with a P (like a pair of Js does... correct me if I'm wrong). I know there's a Bart' with two coils end-to-end, but I'm not sure how that would blend/balance with the P. Any thoughts? Maybe a Duncan stack?

I appreciate any input. These American Standard models just ROCK. I have a 4-string jazz, maple neck, and it's a great bass too. Who'd-a thunk it? Excited about the new Fenders!

2. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    If I were to vote I'd say the Nordstrand NJ5S, great sounding hum cancelling J pickup.

3. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    yeah..Duncan is the Bomb

4. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Or you could get a Fender N3 noiseless J pickup, like they're putting in the new Dlx Jazz 5'ers.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Oh, and no pics, no P5. ;)

6. Exactly! ;)

Another vote for the Nordstrand NJ5S. Great pickup.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd at least consider going vol/tone vol/tone. Don't normally like that setup, but played a P/J recently with that setup and liked it.

I've not used the 5 string Nordies, but their 4 string pickups are amazing. Assuming the 5'ers are just as good, that's where my coin would be spent.

8. I've heard a lot of good things about the new P5's. Ed Friedland even has a recent review of one.

I think you've got the right idea with installing a J pickup - that's gonna be sweet!

Definitely look into the Nordies - of course, you can't go wrong with Duncan either.

9. I am a big fan as well.

10. i just got one recently and i must say tone for days, the stock pickup is fantastic. playability is second to none. Neck is rock solid, frets perfectly dressed. no rough edges. It came with chromes installed and man, i love this fiver, i never thought id ever buy one in my life but man is this thing sweet. ill play it friday outta my genz benz gbe 750 i recently got and im sure ill be happy with it.

11. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I own a 2012 Fender AS P5. To me this is a very great pickup and extremely powerful. IMG_20160126_144920739_HDR.jpg

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Love mine as well. I bought mine as a backup and it fell right into the #1 position immediately.

As for adding a pickup, consider this. I am having Hammersmith make me a 5 string with a P bass pickup (Duncan Antiquity II) at the neck and a Duncan NYC 5 at the bridge. All passive. But I will have a series/single/parallel switch in the NYC. Master volume and tone and 3 way selector for pickups.

Read up on the NYC and check out some videos. It will do the Jazz thing and then some.

If it all sounds and works as great as I think I will be doing the same setup on my P5.

Yeah, and you know the rules. No pics, no bass.

lowdownthump and Zoobiedood like this.