1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yum... featuring innovations!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by chunkstyle, Apr 3, 2009.

1. CLF_Centennial_L2000.

apparently it has a cold rolled (?) aluminum control cover on the back!

the color is sentimental blonde (pearl white blonde). i was going to cut and paste the text from the official site but i'm not sure if it's legal here..

2. didn't see anything in the rules... i'm just a fan, not a seller or advertiser. i know we talked about this bass before, but i haven't seen anything on the official site until now:

(from the official site)

The C.L.F. Centennial L-2000 begins with a comfortable quarter-sawn slim “C” shape neck profile based on the G&L #8, a popular custom option on L-2000s for more than two decades, for its fast, easy playability. The body features the sleek and comfortable silhouette of the contemporary L-2000, while bringing back the body-hugging slim depth of the early versions. The electronics of the Centennial L-2000 also bridge the decades between Leo’s first production bass to feature active pre-amplification and today’s L-2000. The heart of every L-2000 has always been the MFD (Magnetic Field Design) humbucking pickups, and those in the Centennial L-2000 are carefully hand-wound by long-time employee Maria Isela Ramos in the early G&L tradition, using NOS 42 gauge plain enamel wire. While these pickups recall those of Leo’s time, they are mated to a contemporary L-2000 preamp circuit for lower noise.

An authentic black wrinkle powder-coated bridge plate embraces the vintage G&L aesthetic, as does the matching finish on a 6061/T6 cold-rolled aluminum control cavity cover. Though rarely fitted to L-2000s of the Leo’s time, NOS black matte finish G&L/Schaller tuning machines grace the Centennial L-2000 for a more unified appearance. These thoughtful details are brought together with contemporary G&L features, including a non-compression truss rod and the unparalleled playability of PLEK fret dressing, demonstrating the measure of G&L’s progress and standing as testament to the enduring appeal of Leo’s final designs and his company on Fender Avenue that continues to produce them today.

The C.L.F. Centennial L-2000 wouldn’t be complete without a tribute from Phyllis Fender. Leo and Me (My Eleven Years With The Guitar Man) is an autographed memorial album sharing over fifty pages of full-color photos from the Fender’s personal photo albums, each selected, arranged, captioned by Phyllis herself. Leo and Me reflects the warmth, honesty and good humor that characterized the Fenders’ relationship, as well as reveals a side of Leo that the public has never known – until now...

3. YOU TOO can have a cold rolled aluminum cavity cover for your very own! I have one, and I wouldn't go anywhere without the protection it offers.

Tone Guard.

In all seriousness, they are nice heavyweight aluminum covers. I had to do a little bit of radiusing on the inside edge to get it to drop into the recess properly, but that was easy.

Ken...

4. yea, i know you have one. i put that it in specifically for you! little bit of friday innovation levity... that's one hot bass, tho. although i think i'm the only one in the world that doesn't do back flips for the skinny neck.

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    you're not the only one... I prefer them wide necks...

This is really a beautiful bass, but they need to put on a regular L2k neck with GOT for me to really like it. Or better yet, recreate the old 80s-era neck profiles...

Actually, on second thought, unmarked ebony fretboard...

6. That. Right there. That is my dream&L.

It's unfortunate that I'm declaring bankruptcy in less than a month...:atoz:

7. Hope your landing is as soft as possible.

Ken...

8. Thanks!

Ken...

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No sir, you're not.
    Gimmee an early, 1 3/4 wide, shallow depth neck, any day.
    The 2006 fatty I had was alright too, but all my old G&L's are wide.
    The narrow ones don't feel like a G&L, to me...

YMMV; etc.

10. Lew

Lew

May 18, 2008
    I'm partial to the 1 and 11/16'' neck on my wunkay. I kinda bummed they don't have that option anymore.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Of course, the other answer is to just not buy one that new...
    then you don't need a rear cover at all;)
    281GL.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Now, having said that...will that fit my 2001 JB2?...;)

13. Yeah, there is always that. OTOH, I do likes me some preamp.

Ken...

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    L2Ke gots preamp!

15. It should, within the realm of all the little variations that magically appear in G&Ls.

The one I have here actually fits inside the cavity cover recess' edges but would not fit tightly against the bottom of the recess due to paint buildup. This tells me that Wayne may have sized them on an unfinished body. The paint buildup is normal. I just used the belt sander on my stationary sanding center to relieve the inside edges a tad. Dropped right into place.

Ken...

16. Yabbut!

Is there room in there for all the stuff I put in my L-2500?

Ken...

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Heck, I dunno...!!!!!!!!!!!

18. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    Hey Guys -

I've never played a G&L before and I'm quite curious. I just called a local dealer to inquire @ the C.L.F Centennial L-2000. I can order one and the guy said he'd come off the price a little. Before I quote what he said, anybody wanna venture a guess as to how much Cheese this thing sells for? He gave me a street price, (Not list) and said he'd come off that price a few bucks to include state tax out the door. I realize this comes with a special case and goodies like a book about LEO from his wife and a cable and a cloth and a set of strings....I dunno whether or not I want to pull the trigger on this just yet, or perhaps look for an older model? Wanted to get some advice from you experts. Thanks and take care --

DM

19. Rumor has it at $3750 street?

Sounds like madness to me. Did someone spike the kool aide in Fullerton?

:eyebrow:

20. Madness has its toll. Please have exact change. :D

Ken...