Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yup, Bought Another Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 31, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This one from Bass Northwest. Very promising, haven't gigged with it yet, however. That will happen tomorrow night. Nice custom upgrade with SIMMS LED's (amber) along the fingerboard and at the inlay on the 12th fret. Feels and sounds really nice. I'll post followup impressions after I've spent 4 sets with it in a sweaty drunk pit. Pics follow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gee, Chuck, seems you got a nice bass there. Yep sure.

Man, if that thing plays even HALF as nice as at looks, you'll be in hog heaven. I like it...it's simple, but it really works. I love Roscoe 6ers, to boot. or, as Gard would say, "B of doom!"

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I don´t like Roscoes too much, I don´t know why, maybe its the name.......:p but this one shines.... beautiful flamed maple......

4. Wow, that is one of the most beautiful basses I have seen in some time.

Reminds me of the early PRS Custom 24 guitar that I still lust over now and then. Similar finish and top.

Ever visit Canada? :)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. Can't wait to put it through the paces.

Yo Brendan: Who's Chuck? You can call me Carl, man. ;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Nice! luv Roscoe's. actually, Keith's putting together a fretted LG5 and fretless LG5. i'm totally in love with his basses. what's the wood on this one? sp. cedar or swamp ash?

btw, did you get to try the other spalted neck 6 string roscoe? how was it?

[​IMG]

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Absolutely love my Roscoe- b of doom is right!
    having Keith build me a fretless 6-
    heres my 6 with the purpleheart sapwood. love your bass, congrats Boogie!!
    [​IMG]

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Spanish cedar with the maple top. The fingerboard doesn't appear to be ebony on this one, either. Looks like a really nice dark rosewood or something similar.

Didn't try the other one. This one is actually just about what I've been looking for. The LED's are a nice touch, too.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man. If you ever decide to move that purple one, please let me know! I'm a Roscoe fan all the way.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FOLLOW UP:

Played the bass on a club gig last night and I'm very pleased. Ran through my usual Epifani T212 driven by Euphonic Audio iAmp 600, everything set flat into the active input. This bass sounds very similar to my Roscoe 7 (no surprise). Tremendous bottom end, the B is amazing. In fact, you have to be careful to not boost the bass too much or this thing can get real wooly. Sorta like a P bass on steriods with tremendous upper and middle register detail. That's why I love 'em, actually!

Anyway, the neck felt great and I was able to get around faster than on the 7 (again, no suprise). Nice weight and balance, in all a very cool instrument. It'll be hard to leave this one in the case as the gigs unfold...

I'm a happy camper. Thanks to Aaron, Evan, Gabe and guys for a superb deal and great customer service, too. Bass Northwest kicked butt on this one. And Keith Roscoe RULES!!!:cool:

11. Yeah, Roscoes are great instruments. I bought a 6 string from Bass NW almost 2 years ago and finally took pics of it. There are some going pretty cheap on the used market these days if anyone is looking to buy one.
    [​IMG]

-Chris

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very nice, Chris. Judging by the bridge and tuners, yours appears to be about the same vintage as mine, somewhere around early 2000/late '99.

13. Are there any out there with a Roscoe Fretless? If so, how do you like it?

I'm thinking about getting one myself.:D

I've heard a lot of people say Roscoes have a definite P bass sound. Can you also get a throaty, J-bass Jaco-type sound from it?

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, I've found that by soloing the bridge p/u with proper eq, you can get close to Jacoland. Never played a fretless Roscoe but I bet they're awesome.

The nicest fretless, OTOH, that I've seen in a long time is that Alembic Custom 5 that Bass Alone (bassalone.com) has in San Diego. Man, that thing is sweet! LED's and fully tricked-out and a pretty good price.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i am having a roscoe fretless made- they are awesome- the roscoe tone transaltes beautifully into fretless- ive played a couple with diamondwood fingerboards and im sold-

16. Exactly. I bought mine June of 2000. Mine has an ABM bridge and Gotoh tuners. BTW, the fretless Roscoes are great. If you are going for a Roscoe fretless, definately get a diamondwood (also know as pacca or rockwood) board. They are very durable and with rounds makes the bass a mwah machine. Anyway, I glad to see some other Roscoe owners out there.

-Chris

17. I think I'm gonna change my name to Jealous McEnvy. :D

That's one gorgeous axe, Boogie.
    Good luck with her.

Mike J.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa, hold the phone...!

Let's see some of those 7 pics!

7 string Roscoe? Droooolllll.....:D