1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yupperz, Warm overdrive suggestions??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dharmashawn, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I am looking for suggestions on a warm overdrive to use with a Passive Bass running through LMIII. Playing fingerstyle funk with some heavier bits as well, but nothing in the screaming metal vain. I have tried a bunch of things and they all tend to be to Harsh to me, despite the ever present clean blend.

I tried the search function and it was quite helpful, but then you start to get into some older territory and I am sure there are some new flavors abound.

Kinda thinking SFT, but not 100% sold on this.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have always loved the Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer for bass.

3. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I've been pretty happy with my new FEA Dual Band, admit it's the honeymoon phase and the only other Distortion/OD's I've owned are the Roger Meyer Voodoo Bass (which I liked) and the Boss ODB-2 (which I hated). That said I'd suggest it's worth a look if you want a nice creamy top end OD with the ability to do a lot more if you'd be so inclined. Perhaps too versatile for what you're looking for but it does sound great so not sure if that's really a downside.

4. Cheap alternative that's working for me- although new to my board and you know how things can change: Voodoo Labs Sparkledrive. It seems to work for me b/c of a pretty bright OD and, yes, the clean blend. IMO not all blends are created equal, and I find the Sparkledrive's to be a natural and organic sounding blend.

Of course the SFT is highly prized here on TB, that could easily work great for you, or maybe a Rusty Box? I suppose you have already rejected the de rigueur TB standards of the VTbass or Pork Loin...

5. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    The two that I'm considering are the Xotic Bass BB Preamp and the Empress Germ Drive. Alot of people on here seem to use the Xotic Bass BB, while the Empress Germ Drive is a recent split of their MultiDrive ...

6. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I do have some pretty hefty standards and Totally Dig helping the "little guy" out. That said I also believe you get what you pay for.

Rusty was a little to sterile and bright for me

7. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have the ParaEq and it is Sic!!! Very subtle, but so worth it. Notes just pop out.

8. Fuzzrocious Rat Tail. You can get a nice, warm overdrive with this pedal without a doubt.

9. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    That is definitely on my short list!!

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Pretty pricey....but I have yet to play a tube/OD that's better than the Swell B-TOD....granted, I've only played on a Sansamp BDDI, Boss GT10-B, and a B3K...so I'm not exactly the most experienced guy.

11. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Holy He'll!!! V3 @ $350 is crazy nice looking. Which do you have? Any clips?????

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Pork Loin. You can get a mint condition used one for under $100 and it has become an "always on" effect for me. Warm and subtle overdrive and I get tons of compliments on my tone.

13. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I have the B-TOD V1. I wish I had the setup to make clips...but alas. I can tell you that my experience of other tube pedals are that they "color" the sound....like a ring with gold plating....where as this turns my solid state into a tube sound. All alchemy and like. It's a bit too high gain for me. I'm currently raising funds to get the B-PRO v3 since it's mid gain.

I'm selling the B-TOD but am sending it on a mini tour to Delta and Eric! first...I can have it go your way on it's way back to me if you want to give it a try?

14. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    If you wouldn't mind I would totally be into that. I am doing some research in that pedal now and would luv to play one before shelling out that kind of cash

15. +1 its a great warm n subtle overdrive with a whole host of tweakability

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    [sfx] red dragon or BJFE Blueberry are the two best you can get IMO.

17. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I have pretty much the same demand for an OD sound. My Sans' bddi does a decent job, but I'm going to try dialing it in a little better by gating the wet signal decay. I have a LMIII (102 combo) also and run the bddi through the fx loop. In that configuration, I don't really use the Blend knob because the LM's loop is parallel. So I can put the gate after it and not kill my dry signal.

18. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    FEA Growler.

I especially like the Growler as a recommendation because it isn't driving your signal at all. The addition of the harmonic to the original signal creates the growl, so you can stay low gain, it doesn't get farty and just says, "Love me!"

You can do warm with the FEA Dual Band Distortion at lower settings.

It is a tad more expensive, but the de Lisle Eighty-Sixed is an EF86-based tube preamp/overdrive that can to the low gain drive. It sounds fantastic.

19. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    But currently unavailable, yes?

20. chetorch

chetorch Guest

Apr 13, 2011
    Check out the Bad Monkey can be found very cheap and sound pretty awesome on bass..

here is a clip:

Digitech Bad Monkey Bass Demo - YouTube

there was one for sale here a couple of days ago, it was modded for more low end. its going for $45 right now :hyper:

I am still not sure if I need a distortion pedal or not :meh: