1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yusef Lateef Repository Of Scales And Melodic Patterns

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassChuck, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anybody have any experience with this? I note that there is a bass clef version available through Jamie Abersold.

2. I haven't heard of this one, but it's probably got some mind bending stuff. It's probably similar to Patterns for Jazz. If you're into jazz and building vocabulary, any good pattern book is probably enough for the rest of your life. When you consider that any one pattern needs to be done in all keys and, specific to bass, starting from different fingers, that one pattern could take weeks or even months to really "know" it well enough to show up in your playing. Then there are probably 6 or 7 patterns on a page and the books are about 300 pages long...

I've got more than a few pattern books and I'm pretty sure I could never live long enough to really learn them all. How long does it take to understand infinity?

vishalicious likes this.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well, I was hoping for some opinions before I spent the money. Anyway, I did order the book. When it gets here, I'll post some thoughts.

4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

This might be the Mutha of All "Scales and etc.", books - (Painkiller sold separately).
    6898576363_be56683c27_z.

5. My guitarist loaned me the Slonimsky book for awhile. Just reading through it, I was like, ***...

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
  7. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Paging through the 256 pages of Slonimsky's Thesaurus it's pretty clear that this is a very academic (aka dry as Hell) tome that attempts to construct any possible scale with little regard for future usage or musical content. So be it. We'll cut the guy some slack, it was published in 1947 and just coming out of WWII there were many people that thought a new order to everything was a viable intellectual exercise. Oh well, people are people and when faced with an exhaustive supply of scales and melodic patterns we quickly turned our collective hearts and souls to Rock and Roll.

It's an interesting look at a musical mind that was probably toilet trained at gunpoint. Still, one could argue that being able to play all the material in the Thesaurus would be a great technical fete, and that few combinations of notes would not be experienced. This work would probably go unnoticed today if not for the claim by John Coltrane that he worked with this book and many people hoping to gain an understanding of his genius will explore Slonimsky with some hope.

ii7-V7 likes this.
  8. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well Lateef's book came the other day and I've spend a good bit of time playing from it. I promised I'd write a few things and so here they are. I suppose there may be a few people who are interested.

The book is far more musical than the Slominsky. Yusef Lateef has made a great collection of chords and scales and presented them in a very musical way. Not standard bass lines by any means, but interesting and musical. For instance the first grouping is all major chords presented in a sequence of down a major 3rd and then up a perfect 4th. Chord are in root position then in inversions and finally in alternating inversions following pretty standard voice leading practices. There are many different kinds of scales and modes from around the world. Some you'll have seen before, some are made up and some are from 'world music'. The Japanese scales are particularly interesting.

I think Lateef intended this book to be used as a performance practice and also a theory text of sorts. Like most theory books there tends to be a trend to over analyse and create a nomenclature that is unique to the book. I suppose that gives the teacher something to grade, but also introduces a level of BS that is contrary to useful instruction. As a small example there one scale that is labled "Mongolian from the Yuan dynasty 14th c. BC" Pretty neat huh? Except that closer examination reveals that it is indeed what we would call a "Major Scale". Still, that kind of thinking all too common in music theory, but that's another subject. It really doesn't hurt anything, just a style.

I like this book a lot and intend to use is for a long time. If you know your bass well and can read music well, it provides some very interesting and challenging tasks to sight reading and music reading in general. I've never seen the treble clef version, but this bass clef version is tailor made for bass. No notes below E below the staff and in only a very few exceptions goes above G above the bass staff. Well suited for serious Intemediate players and advanced. You can get it through Jamie Aebersold <http://www.jazzbooks.com/>

Commreman likes this.
  9. Thanks for the review and the link! Very helpful! I seem to have a slight obsession with pattern books, so I will probably get this one, lol.

10. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Thanks for the review. I am planning to purchase a copy of "Repository of Scales and Melodic Patterns" in, both, treble and bass clef this month.

Yusef Lateef is the first Jazz artist that I was exposed to as a kid. My dad was a big fan and owned several of his albums.