Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yves Carbonne At NAMM! (WOW!)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I finally got to meet and hear Yves Carbonne play with Michael Manring at BassQuake in an intimate duo setting playing tracks off of their new Carbonne/DiPiazza/Manring record.

Yves is one of the most generous/genuine guys in this business.

I heard bits and pieces about the debacle caused by bass luthier Ken Smith (with Marcus Miller standing right there!) near the Brooklyn Bass Gear Booth at The NAMM Show 2006. Did anyone else witness this mess? What happened? :(

His new Jerzy Drozd southpaw fretless 10 string is AMAZING!! WOW!!!

I can't wait to see him play live again! ;)

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What's the story on the Ken Smith mess????

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    +1

It was also great meeting you Jay!

Your CD rocks BTW (thanks!) you're a twisted mutha with those time signatures bro. Can't wait to see it live.

4. Glad that you liked the new record. ;)

Wait, did I just hear that you want to play sub-bass with me on tour? Let me turn up my hearing aid!! Ha ha!!

I'll try and check out that Bass shindig in the Bay Area in May. We'll hang then. Schmidty rules!!!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    All y'all need to bring these bass get together shows to New Jersey.... or at least release a DVD ;)

6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I was with Yves when "round one" happened...

Ken is a very miserable soul

Another famous french bassist a freind of Yves' took Yves over to meet stanley clark face to face and get his picture taken. Yves was thrilled and told me that stanley is a hero to him.

Yves asked me to get in the picture but i kept seeing all that was going on around us so i hesitated... the negative body language etc coming from the ken's direction...
    dirty looks etc...

they snapped a couple of pics

Yves was excited to meet Stanley Clark, who was standing chatting in front of the brooklyn gear booth where ken smith was displaying his KSD basses

Yves and i had just played at the westone in ear monitors booth with Stew McKinsey and Chris Cardone...

kind of an extended range mayhem showcase well... more like Yves showing the rest of us how ERBs are supposed be played!

YVES IS the greatest ERB alive!

anyway, Ken comes out to Yves with this rediculous andy rooney type conversation style telling Yves with much sarchasm how it is not cool to go around from booth to booth with your bass, etc etc etc

i had been chatting with adam levy from brooklyn gear as i was once an EBS artist so i had every right to be there that Ken did... and adam had never had a problem in years past with me bringing my bass to his booth

i wont even try to quote Ken exactly because its not important...

the fact is ken was rude and WAY out of line...

NOW the gnetlmen that Yves is...

he attempted to go back the next day and apologize to Ken...

and ken just pretty much did the same thing over again stating that Stanley does not like have people getting his picture taken with fans...

etc etc etc...

i told my wife the night after i was there for the first experience...

she said no wonder the french think americans are so rude...

LOL

smooth move Ken!

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    doesn't really surprise me....

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I'm thinking maybe Ken miss understood the situation... Seems I heard a lot about ERB Beardness for NAMM.

Looks a little like stubble to me ;)

[​IMG]

9. Same story I heard.

I have heard that this type of incident with Ken Smith comes as no surprise to some of my bass pals who have been in the game for 15+ years. I have never met the guy myself but it's sad that this kind of stuff happens at a NAMM show.

And I thought that the Ed Roman horror stories were bad!!!! WOW!!

I can't imagine a scenario where Stanley Clarke wouldn't want his picture taken with a fellow bass pro.................Usually, at Stanley's level, a very well-paid professional publicist (or manager, or bodyguard (ha ha!)) would serve as the stop gap between an artist and their fans...............

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You wouldn't happen to have more pics of the Bee Basses would you?

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Why yes I would....

seeing as this is NOT a NAMM shot thread, I'll post them in the "NAMM shots" thread

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks James. I'll look for those.

Sorry for the sidetrack folks!

13. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    James... were you at NAMM ???

14. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    ahhh the beard, that was a month... Norm Stockton got a real good chuckle and so did Stewart Liebig

i cant figure it out...

i am like 99% scotish and i am 31 years old you would think i could at least have some healthy lamb chops!

15. If you had a gay Latino hairstylist named "Jesus" running a trendy shop two blocks away from you(like I do), your lamb chops would rule!! LOL!

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The Ken Smith thing doesn't surprise me at all...back in 86, I think, maybe 87, I was at the NAMM in Anaheim, and happened across his booth. He was standing in his booth, talking to a rather hot-looking chick (found out later she was a Dean girl!) and I happened to have a "Buyer" tag on. I came up to one of his 6's on a stand at the front, and I took it by the neck, very gently, and tilted it forward to get a better look at the back. I had heard all the buzz about them, but never played one. I was just looking at the construction and he snapped at me "Don't touch the merchandise! Can't you see I'm busy?" So I put it back, and left, making sure I was pointing to my buyer's tag. :scowl: That did it for me. I won't buy a thing from him. Not even a pickup screw. Of course, that's just my personal experience, but I didn't get a good vibe from him at all.

17. ii-v

ii-v

Mar 27, 2005
    SLC, UT
    Ken makes an incredible product and calling him an innovator imho is an understatement. But this is the third story I have heard where Ken seems to have attitude issues. My friend had a run in with him two years ago at NAMM. Maybe Ken is just weeding out customers he does not want in the future, like Yves and the common man like my friend Matt. Hmmm, rules out professionals and amateurs. Exactly what is the market he is trying to reach again?

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Dude if I was there, you'd have been one of the first I tracked down to say Hey too :bassist:

I just asked for some shots and got them earlier :smug:

Now you say a MONTH! I get that if I skip shaving a day ;) but it's been rumoured my Mom had an affair with a Grizzly.

19. YC8

YC8

Jun 23, 2004
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Cool shots Yves! My screen saver on my PC displays random pictures of bassists I dig, I've saved the one of you and Greg playing to that folder :bassist: (do you 2 have a recording of it to share???)

I love what you do with the fretless.... so tasty!

Here is the Flash player on his site for those of you that don't know Yves' playing http://www.yvescarbonne.com/mp3.php

here is the link to the new Carbonne/DiPiazza/Manring record http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mcdipiazza