YYZ- Anybody know Morse code?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jun 17, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was talking to my sister's fiance (is there one or two e's in that? Oh well, his name is Paul.) who is a HUGE Rush fan.

So, I told Paul I had just purchased Moving Pictures, and he started telling me all sorts of things about the tune YYZ. For starters, he said that the opening riff is Morse code for the letters YYZ. He also said that YYZ is the three letter abbreviation for some Canadian city's airpor. (Either Toronto or Montreal... he couldn't remember.) There were some other things, he said, but he couldn't recall them off the top of his head.

I just think that's the coolest thing I've ever heard! Anybody know anything more about YYZ or any other less than obvious facts about certain songs?
  2. I do know that YYZ is indeed the code for Toronto Pearson Airport. As for the Morse code, thing, I haven't got a clue. Seems like too many dots and dashes for three letters. Still makes for an interesting theory, though.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I think I remember reading they mixed some weird sounds in line with the cymbal crashes during the guitar solo. Like they actually busted up glass and plywood to emphasize the 'crash' during that part...or something like that.
  4. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Morse code for YYZ is -.-- -.-- --.. pronounced dah-dit-dah-dah dah-dit-dah-dah dah-dah-di-dit. A dash is three times longer than a dot, so if the dots were eighth notes, the dashes would be dotted quarters. There would be an eighth rest between each dot and dash. I've not heard that tune so can't comment from personal experience.

I should check it out...

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Y -.-- (dash, dot, dash, dash)
    Z --.. (dash, dash, dot, dot)
  6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Dan thinks there's too much there for YYZ, dooberheim phonetically spelled it for us, and he and Slater both said what YYZ is in morse.

End result: I listened to it while reading the word thing and it's right... it's just YYZ 8 times in morse code... then some of that phrase rearranged... then the intro is done.
  7. I went over the song in my head; maybe it does work after all. Hell, what do I know.

I do have an old Rush bootleg somewhere where they call the song "Why Why Zen". I guess the idiot who put out the bootleg had never heard the letter "Z" referred to as a Zed before; had to be an American. Just mentioning that because I thought it was kinda funny.
  8. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yeah I know thats it the code for an airport in Toronto. I dont know anything about morse code so I cant really help you there.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, it's a really cool tune, and i dig the way geddy plays that riff with one finger...what a dood :D
  10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    The first things I heard about that song were these same two facts (I was curious as to what YYZ was, so I did a little research and voila!).

And yeah, I've also heard about the shattered glass.

Good stuff that Rush.
  11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I just want to know what that crowd is yelling at the beginning of "Witch Hunt".
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It's been a hell of a long time since I heard the song, but if memory serves, the dashes are exactly twice as long as the dots in the riff, and there is nary a rest to be found. The two notes in the riff are also exactly a tritone apart, and people always claim that tritones are "the devil's interval", so some fun could be had with that.

Also, I've heard that if you play "Moving Pictures" and "Dark Side of the Moon" at the same time, the result is exactly the same as Charles Ives' "Prog Rock Symphony No. 1".

As usual, YMMV.
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've been playing this song off and on since it came out (1981......God I'm getting old:( ) and if thats the correct morse code for the letters YYZ that IS the intro riff. No doubt about it.
  14. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    ...and all can add is all canadian airports have codes beginning X, Y or Z.

that's all i can remember from my days as an freight importer..
  15. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The intro riff to YYZ is the morse code equivilant to Y-Y-Z; the Toronto airport's tower signal.

The crowd at the beginning of Witch Hunt is just a bunch of people that were in the studio that night standing around outside making noise. They were instructed to just "make crowd noise" or something to that effect... so they are saying completely random things (probably talking about hockey.. :D)
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Now I don't know if you're just poking fun. ;) (Of course, I've never heard "Prog Rock Symphony No. 1".)
  17. wow, that's cool! I knew it was the Toronto airport code but didn't know about the Morse code thing.
  18. it's also true that if you play dark side of the moon at the same time as the second roar of the mgm lion at the begining of wizard of oz the lyrics are in perfect sync with not just the actors words but also to what it going on.
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Ok, so I listened to YYZ, read the posts about Morse code and tapped along the very best I could, and to my great satisfaction, it matches up.
  20. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Third roar of the lion, third roar of the lion. . .:D