YYZ question...

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I have this song basically figured out, except the first bass solo thing. He does 3 in all, but I can't get the one that occurs at 1:43. There are different ways to play it, but none feel comfortable, especially at that speed. Any suggestions on how to play it?
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Since you've posted in the tab forum I would say to go here for help with your struggle.
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Here's my 2 cents. I would get the most recent bass guitar world magazine or whatever it's called (Mike Gordon on cover with standup). It's got a good transcription of YYZ. I was just practicing this last night. I compared the one on that Rush site and there are some small differences. I actually think the one out of the magazine sounds closer. As for those mini-solo, super fast fills - just break them down one at a time and go slow. :)
  4. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I've got the Bass Guitar issue too. I haven't dissected the whole song yet but it should definitely help you out.

Rock on! :bassist:
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    YYZ is in Rush Bass sheet music book (only one I've ever seen).
  6. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have the notes down, but I'm looking for the best way to play it, in terms of position. I'll check out that bass mag tonight and hopefully find something conclusive.
  7. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    I've used the RTP for the past three years or so. Sean Jones has done an excilent job tabbing out their songs. Yyz is a song that I myself have not tackled but I know the gist of it. (That doesn't mean I can play it at the right tempo. ;) )

I have that Bass Guitar issue but I have not compared the two. Let me know what you think.
  8. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I just got the new Rush In Rio DVD...on disc 2, for YYZ you can choose you own camera angle, and see the position Geddy uses...it's very comfortable for that rif.

Also I too have the Bass Guitar Mag...great tab
  9. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Glad to see it's helping you out.

I love the multi-angle stuff on the Rio DVD.