1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YYZ

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by quasiz_bassist, Dec 26, 2006.

1. I've been playing bass for about 1 week now, so I'd try learning to play YYZ, wow that song is very tough! (at least for me)
    I can play it, just not as fast for geddy,. My question is, is their any way to build up speed?

2. Start slow and you will get faster.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You might want to play easier songs in the mean time.

I remember my teacher gave me this lick to play that sounded really cool. I got up to 100bpm and wanted to go faster and faster. It wasn't happening. I talked to him about it and he said I've been overpracticing it.

And what happened when I tried to practice something else? Bleah. All I knew were the notes on that one lick.

Might be different for your, but that IS a hard song and building up to it with easier songs will be a lot more fun than killing yourself over that one.

4. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Don't try to play YYZ your first week. Nothing wrong with aiming high but start with the basics. Particularly right hand technique if your not used to playing with your fingers.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    the first song my guitarist learned is master of puppets by metallica
    :p

6. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    YYZ.........on your first week?!

Man take it easy and slow. I've been playing for a year and a half and I can barely get Geddy's speed down.

But if you're into Rush you could probably learn Tom Sawyer easily but you need to start off slow and build up.

I started off with a bunch of different Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. But whatever floats your boat man.

7. Earthday

Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I agree with all them that YYZ is not a song you should be learning when you're a beginner. But to answer your question anyways, the way to build up speed is to play the song with a metronome. Start slow, and work your way to higher tempos.

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    i started with jumpin jack flash by the rolling stones which was a great starter lick, then went on to dazed and confused. Try stuff like that at first, later try stuff by Metallica (Cliff Burton era), Iron Maiden and Rush, that's the level that i'm at now. Only now i can catch up with Geddy's speed on yyz and that doesn't count the solo's that are in it. Best thing to do now is get all your fingers loosened up by playing easy licks that require all your fingers because in a song like yyz you'll need them all.

9. Try ABC before YYZ. The later is not exactly a beginner's tune.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Jeebus! That's like saying "I just started driving and I am trying to learn on a F1 race car." Get yourself a few beginner's books and start slow.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Good grief. After only one week of playing, not only should you not worry about playing fast, you shouldn't focus on it for at least the first year!

Focus on the basics first, my friend: Technique. Tone. Timing. Ear training. And good taste!

Master the fundamentals, and you'll already be ahead of many bassists who've been playing for years. And as you do so, the speed will come naturally.

Trying to play YYZ during your first week is like trying to race a Maserati - before you've learned how to stick shift... :eek:

MM

12. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    YOu have to be kidding right?

Start with a tune like that and you are sure to develop bad habits.

13. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1. There is SO much more to Geddy than speed. Yes he is fast but also flawless intonation and timing. You must develop proper technique first and then work up to something like YYZ.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
    First song I learned was Gloria in when it came out in 1966(?).

As long as you don't get any PHYSICAL problems from hitting the ground that fast...fine. Play it in WinMediaPlayer using the speed control. I use this to learn fast licks AND also use Goldwave ( http://www.goldwave.com/features.php ) sometimes to chop out the few licks that give me trouble and loop them about 5 or 10 times in one mp3 file...THEN play that over and over. Another nice-sounding Rush tune shown:
    SlowDownTunes.

Start at whatever speed you can play it and gradually work your way to normal speed or faster if so inclined. Just keep an eye and feel on your finger/hands/wrists/etc. If you feel sore for more than a day or two...slow down or take a break and come back to it(let your body build the new stuff you're making it develop). Don't let anyone say you can't do something but watch yourself.

15. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I'm actually surprised people think yyz is that advanced, i always thought it was a medium skill level song. I always thought stuff like Billy Sheehan and John Myung were the really technically advanced stuff. The most popular bassists (and most skilled supposedly) in my school say they play more complex things than yyz and more stuff like Billy Sheehan. Kinda got me dissapointed because i always felt like i was way behind in terms of skill.

16. not to rain on billy, sure, hes faster and more intricate, but Geddy is more refined. His style is subtle and he knows when to throw in a well thought out lick and when to play fast. Geddys lines can teach you a lot about bass. I wouldn't believe anyone just because theyre the (self proclaimed?) best. Someone can be ripping the insides out of a bass, but does it have any substance?

I would suggest, as someone above said; learning Tom sawyer as a good starter. Take a look at rush's slower songs and just try to play dead on the beat and develop your ear. Theres nothing wrong with tabs, but if you learn everything from them your gonna be real slow when a guitarist is trying to show you a lick. If you learn all your songs by ear then youll have dissected a guitar players lick before you watch his hand.

Sorry to go so off topic, just trying to give some good advice.

17. There is more difficult stuff out there, lots of it. But YYZ is way too hard for a 1 week old baby.

18. Been playing a year and a 4th or so and I can play YYZ at about 75% speed. On a GOOD day. If I practice it. Really too lazy to practice it too... More interested in improving my tone, timing and improvising and writing skills ;P

But it's a cool song. I'll have it down one day :)

19. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    geeze, its only my first week and im still happy playing stuff like The Police(walking on the moon, was my first song)

i can play Dont stop Believin' by Journey now:hyper: , but i think my most difficult song is Do You Wanna, by Franz Ferdinand(you guys might not think thats hard, but hey forget you guys!:spit:

20. YYZ, cripes. 9 years of bass and I can barely crank that one out.

Great taste in bands (one of my favs) but like all the others, walk before you run. If you're a rush nerd like me, go for some easier Geddy tunes. Tom Sawyer is one that people recognize. If you know 'YYZ' then hopefully you own 'Moving Pictures.' If so, then learn "Vital Signs" on the said album. It's got a great groove, mean tone, and even a nice little bass solo.

When all else fails, learn the 2112 'Overture/Temple of Syrinx' medly. It's challenging, but not hard.

I personally started (fingerstyle) with the Weezer 'Blue Album.'