1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YYZ

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cronker, Aug 24, 2012.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    it's surely the Ric, isn't it? I don't know how to get that tone out of my Jazz.

2. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Try harder.

:D

3. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    thanks

4. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    I always thought it was jazz, with the Ric dubbed over the little 'solo break' parts... :meh:

5. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    I'll tell you if anyone has come close to getting a ric-esque tone out of a jazz it's Geddy (or his tech). On CA he got dam close

6. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    true. i wanted a ric because i love my geddy, but my jazz just appeared in a little shop in small town Adelaide - it just had my name on it, being a lefty -rare and I snapped it up right then - love my Jazz.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think its the jazz.

8. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    you just need to have a double hand transplant with Geddy as the donor. You'll get the sound you're after.

:D:D:D

9. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
  10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I think it could be pulled off with either a Jazz or Ric so long as you got the proper grind. You need to figure out where that's coming from...

Try and find an old transcription from Bass Player or GFPM magazine - they're usually pretty good about showing how to get the proper tone.

good luck

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    If we want to get into the recording specifics, based on the sounds he had on other songs (mainly Tom Sawyer as a Jazz sample and Red Barchetta as a Ric sample), it sounds like it was mostly Jazz, with Ric dubbed over for the first riff post-intro, and for the fills. Someone feel free to correct me.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    A little off topic, and you rush fans probably already know this... but I just found out the other night that the beginning drums on yyz is actually the morse code for yyz. was this news only to me? :)

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    You know what Joe? I started a thread about this about a year ago and got jumped all over - "its not morse code, it's Toronto airport" - which of course it is. But yes, the rhythm of the intro is indeed code for the letters YYZ:

-.-- / -.-- / --.. (and repeat....)

14. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    And if you really want some useful information... the song name, like the airport code, is pronounced Y-Y-Zed - if you want to be that particular and 'authentic.' Nothing new to you folks who speak English funny, but in the States some people would actually pronounce it Y-Y-Zee...

But about the tone - have you gotten a good look at how hard Geddy plucks (really snaps) the strings with the right hand?

15. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    That's unusual? I think he's always done that. Kinda rubbed off on me. :ninja:

16. Geddy could have done this with his P-bass (Teardrop?) and we'd never know....

17. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Every Rush fan is getting wood over Geddy's tone on the new album, but Pemanrnt Waves, Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left and Signals was the golden era.

18. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    I suspect the ICAO airport code is pronounced "Charlie Yankee Yankee Zulu."

19. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Agreed. I've never heard a pilot (even Air Canada or Air Transat when talking to their dispatch) call it Y Y Zed. Where does the Zed part come from? :confused: